Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
As reported by Engadget, the first cell phone call occurred 40 years ago today.

Its astounding how the industry has changed these past few years, thanks in large part to apple. Still, I remember my first cell phone back in the 90s.

Its unfortunate that the company that was a pioneer failed to continue to innovate and was bought out by google. Motorola was unable to keep up with its competitors these past few years.

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
As reported by Engadget, the first cell phone call occurred 40 years ago today.

Its astounding how the industry has changed these past few years, thanks in large part to apple. Still, I remember my first cell phone back in the 90s.

Its unfortunate that the company that was a pioneer failed to continue to innovate and was bought out by google. Motorola was unable to keep up with its competitors these past few years.

I had no idea the first 'mobile' phone was so old. I thought it was 10 years younger at least. Well, you learn something new everyday.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I remember my Mom having a Nokia cell phone. Little blue thing that had snake on it and stuff.

Then I got my first phone, which I loved. Then I got a Motorola RAZR, which was the best thing ever.

My how times have changed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I had no idea the first 'mobile' phone was so old. I thought it was 10 years younger at least. Well, you learn something new everyday.

I remember seeing people using the DynaTAC 8000 series back in the 80s Turning my head and wonder what the heck :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd also like to add a very Happy 40th Birthday to the dropped call.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Not really the first cell phone. They had car models in the 1940's. This is just the first self contained handset.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Then I got a Motorola RAZR, which was the best thing ever.

My current phone is a Motorola RAZR (original one) on pay as you go T-Mobile.

The call quality is excellent, the battery life is very good, and it's cheap to use (no expensive cell plan). Even though it's an older phone, it even supports hands free calling from my car. I bought it new on Amazon and just needed a sim card from T-Mobile. I use my iPod Touch 5 on wifi for everything else but calls.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Not really the first cell phone. They had car models in the 1940's. This is just the first self contained handset.

Those early car phones didn't use cell technology. Rather they were based on more conventional radio technology, and as such ran into the problem of not having enough frequencies to cover a large number of users.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Remember the first cell phone was the size of a cinder block. Then they got a little smaller, about brick size. Then they came down again to about half a brick but still required you to reinforce your pants pocket to carry them. Thank goodness for today's technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.