Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Going along the recent excitement for iOS7..

What do you guys feel about the search screen that is located on the left side of the iPhone?

I feel as if no one really utilities that search page and it takes up a whole page left of the home screen of the iPhone, which can honestly be changed for another new feature? (make iOS less dull?)

Quite possibly, wouldn't it be a great idea for apple to use this page for another feature for the iPhone?

Don't me wrong.. lets keep the search bar but there could be many uses to this whole page:cool:

Perhaps instead of making the keyboard automatically pop-up by going to the search page. Why not have it pop up only after you click on the search bar and make use of the space below the search screen?

Yea.. of course apple will not care what we think but..What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Photo 2013-04-03 12.39.45 PM.png
    Photo 2013-04-03 12.39.45 PM.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 361

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have never used the search page - don't expect I ever will and find it as annoying to have it there as I find newstand and game center.

Searching app should be brought up with an ICON like everything else.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I think the search screen is just a waste. In my opinion they should just get rid of it and just incorporate the search bar into say the notification centre or somewhere else.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Making it an internet search bar would totally be a rip from Android, but whatever.

That said, it's PRIME space for widgets, toggles or additional notifications!

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Yea i agree with you guys. I think that the search bar is definitely a waste. It really feels as though that no one really uses it.

I think that if apple used that page to turn it into something for widgets? or something creative.. it could possibly be a great feature that could give the iOS a new feature.

I mean a whole page that no one uses!

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I'm sorry but I'm using the search screen all the time. I'm not wasting time searching through folders to find that specific app. I also like to call someone, find tracks in the music player and so on.

Searching could be better though, categories could be shown at the bottom to quickly toggle between apps/docs/music etc.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Making it an internet search bar would totally be a rip from Android, but whatever.

That said, it's PRIME space for widgets, toggles or additional notifications!

BTW Dwalls.. How do you put a photo under your username? as in the green logo you have under your username that shows up when you post.

----------

I'm sorry but I'm using the search screen all the time. I'm not wasting time searching through folders to find that specific app. I also like to call someone, find tracks in the music player and so on.

Searching could be better though, categories could be shown at the bottom to quickly toggle between apps/docs/music etc.

What I meant was that the search bar should be kept. But instead of having the keyboard automatically pop up each time you go to the search screen, only have it pop up after you click on the search bar and have the space below the search bar used for other purposes.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Flick to right and immediately get keyboard + search box in focus is the quickest way to run any app on the iPhone. Great feature and glad it's kept. A lot of us have 100+ apps installed in various folders and 6+ screens.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Flick to right and immediately get keyboard + search box in focus is the quickest way to run any app on the iPhone. Great feature and glad it's kept. A lot of us have 100+ apps installed in various folders and 6+ screens.

Agreed in its usefulness, but what if?

like the space below be used for widgets or some other kind of feature?

perhaps other short cuts?

Do you think it would be be too cumbersome to have the flick right screen and click on the search bar?

if you look at the photo~ so much space wasted? No?

Attachments

• Photo 2013-04-03 02.45.37 PM.png
    Photo 2013-04-03 02.45.37 PM.png
    865.5 KB · Views: 260

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
BTW Dwalls.. How do you put a photo under your username? as in the green logo you have under your username that shows up when you post.

----------

What I meant was that the search bar should be kept. But instead of having the keyboard automatically pop up each time you go to the search screen, only have it pop up after you click on the search bar and have the space below the search bar used for other purposes.

I think you mean blue right?

Go to User CP and then edit avatar.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England

----------

You have to have 500 posts on your profile to enable an avatar.. There's a few little perks that come as you become a more established member. You will also see a 'marketplace' forum for second hand sales once you hit 250 or so posts.

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
You have to have 500 posts on your profile to enable an avatar.. There's a few little perks that come as you become a more established member. You will also see a 'marketplace' forum for second hand sales once you hit 250 or so posts.

Oh.. Never Knew that! that is pretty cool! I been reading Macrumors daily for 5+ years but only just decided to get involved in the forum now.. :)

You also have a retina 13" How are you liking it?

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Oh.. Never Knew that! that is pretty cool! I been reading Macrumors daily for 5+ years but only just decided to get involved in the forum now.. :)

You also have a retina 13" How are you liking it?

Best computer I've ever owned to be honest.

Had initial wifi problems for a week or two but perseverance paid off.

The battery life in terms of standby is phenomenal - it lasts a week like my iPad :)

Only negative is the lack of discreet GPU cos any form of gaming is beyond woeful so I have to go back to the PS3 for that :rolleyes:

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
I moved up from a MacBook Air hd4000 and tbh hd4000 is not that bad. I can play Dota 2 full graphics. Although, it's true that if you think about the price, the gaming is horrible to what we could have bought, had we bought a PC.

Most likely haswell is going fix it for all the non early adopters

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
I moved up from a MacBook Air hd4000 and tbh hd4000 is not that bad. I can play Dota 2 full graphics. Although, it's true that if you think about the price, the gaming is horrible to what we could have bought, had we bought a PC.

Most likely haswell is going fix it for all the non early adopters

I don't think haswell will be as evolutionary as everyone seems to think - it's still an onboard GPU. Dedicated will still give more power for a long time to come. It just doesn't 'fit' with the size Apple wants these computers to be :)

BlueHusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Washington DC
Interesting how quickly can the OP go off-topic in his own thread. :)

Lol... Just felt as if no one was interested in talking about it :(

----------

It would be nice if it doubled as a live Internet search bar as well..

Well I think there should be a dedicated search bar for the phone. Or apple would have to go to google again in order to get Internet search out of it. (Yes bing and yahoo but.. Who uses them?? Seriously)

As someone mentioned perhaps a live feed widget would be pretty cool. There is so much space below the search bar!

I seriously think that some better use should come out of the search bar page, while also keep the search bar there.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i havent used this search screen ever on any of my 4 iPhones.

i think they could use the wasted space for some live widgets

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i have never used it. this page should be used for widgets and a search widget should be available for those who would like it.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I use spotlight frequently, every day. Mostly for looking for music, but I use it for contacts as well.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I've never used Spotlight Search on my iOS devices. Never saw the need to.

Iknow where everything is on my devices and if I want to search for something, I use Safari :p

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Never used it in any of my previous iPhones, and this thread has actually made me realize how useful it is, quick way to find contacts, music, apps etc.

Few widgets placed in the space below would definitely come in handy aswell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.