Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
So I need to take my iPhone in to the apple store cause my power button doesnt work about 50% of the time when pressed.

Anyway, I need to restore it before taking it in (I doubt they'd help me if they saw i was jailbroken). If I try to restore from the 6.1 IPSW I jailbroke with using Evasi0n I get an error 3194.

To fix the error I changed my hosts file to point to CYDIA instead of apple, and now I have error 21 or error 1600 depending on if I'm in DFU mode or not

So I'm out of luck. Do I have to do something special to restore to this IPSW? Will restore & update work flawlessly (I could do that because I'm just gonna take it in and get it replaced anyway)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So I need to take my iPhone in to the apple store cause my power button doesnt work about 50% of the time when pressed.

Anyway, I need to restore it before taking it in (I doubt they'd help me if they saw i was jailbroken). If I try to restore from the 6.1 IPSW I jailbroke with using Evasi0n I get an error 3194.

To fix the error I changed my hosts file to point to CYDIA instead of apple, and now I have error 21 or error 1600 depending on if I'm in DFU mode or not

So I'm out of luck. Do I have to do something special to restore to this IPSW? Will restore & update work flawlessly (I could do that because I'm just gonna take it in and get it replaced anyway)

You can ONLY restore to iOS 6.1.3. There is no other way to restore a different version onto an iPhone 4S or 5 at this time. So if your replacement is 6.1.3, you will lose your jailbreak. If its on 6.1.2, then you are in luck and can still jailbreak. If its on a version 6.0-6.1 and want a jailbreak, you'll have to stay with that version

Mint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
You can ONLY restore to iOS 6.1.3. There is no other way to restore a different version onto an iPhone 4S or 5 at this time. So if your replacement is 6.1.3, you will lose your jailbreak. If its on 6.1.2, then you are in luck and can still jailbreak. If its on a version 6.0-6.1 and want a jailbreak, you'll have to stay with that version
So just to clarify

i cannot restore to the same version my phone is currently on? I HAVE to restore to the newest version?

My phone currently has 6.1 on it

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
That's correct, but with your problem they'll probably replace it anyways if you have AppleCare or if you pay the whole amount they ask. In that case you'll get a new phone with hopefully 6.1.2

Mint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
That's correct, but with your problem they'll probably replace it anyways if you have AppleCare or if you pay the whole amount they ask. In that case you'll get a new phone with hopefully 6.1.2

I'd think they'd replace it regardless because its under warranty still.

But thanks

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So just to clarify

i cannot restore to the same version my phone is currently on? I HAVE to restore to the newest version?

My phone currently has 6.1 on it

Yes, you HAVE to restore to the newest version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.