Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alaniz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
I have 10.6.8 server. I have about 10 users that are running 10.8.2

The problem is this - Two people can open the same file at the same time!
On a PC, this would result in an access denied for one of the users.

This has resulted in VERY bad situations.
Is there a fix?
Along the same lines, on the PC server, I could tell who the last "owner" of the file was. I do not see that on the Mac at all?
Understand that we might not have configured our Mac Server correctly 15 months ago. Just need help, even if it means a 3rd party solution.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have 10.6.8 server. I have about 10 users that are running 10.8.2

The problem is this - Two people can open the same file at the same time!
On a PC, this would result in an access denied for one of the users.

This has resulted in VERY bad situations.
Is there a fix?
Along the same lines, on the PC server, I could tell who the last "owner" of the file was. I do not see that on the Mac at all?
Understand that we might not have configured our Mac Server correctly 15 months ago. Just need help, even if it means a 3rd party solution.

As far as I know even when using ACL's any shared document can be oppened, just that the first user is the admin and the rest will have read-only and allowing a copy to be made and named differently. I am unaware of a third party solution save for the obvious ones like Filemaker Server. It's always been this was as far as I know as I am mostly Mac, so okay, while I have no solution for you this is an interesting post and can't wait to see some replies.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
What is the file type?

And can you confirm that more than one person can open the file with full read/write privileges?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.