Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProUs3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Hi.

I've got a late 2012 Macbook Pro (i7 - 8GB - 750GB HDD) and everything has been running smoothly up until a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed my HDD making really small click noises. I almost don't take the computer outside it just sits on my desk, and this is the sort of noise it makes under load now:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/NbueHuCu/MBP_HDD_Noise.html

Is this normal for you guys as well, or is my HDD failing?

Thanks!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
sounds completely normal.
You filled up your drive so the head needs to do more work because it gets fragmented (more jumps) >> more noise.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
My last hard drive made a clicking noise before it failed but that was a much louder and more pronounced click. That noise sounds different but I am not expert. I would certainly ALWATS backup my hard drive clicking or no clicking noise.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, this is more like "rumble".

Clicking sounds really like "click" like a thing metal object strikes another. It sounds painful, you can feel the hard-drive suffering.

use something like SMART Utility to check the condition of the drive (to an extent, SMART is by no mean a backup replacement or guarantee for anything, but it is a fair indicator that a drive might fail.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.