Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Anyone else use their iPad while laying down in bed? I place the iPad on my chest or upper stomach and the border is deep enough so that none of the viewable screen area sinks into my chest.

If the new iPads reduce the side bezels, you will no longer be able to view the iPad in this position without some of the viewable areas sinking into your chest or blankets.

Similar to this image but obviously without the stand.

tablift.jpg

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
This is actually a good point. I sit cross legged on the couch and surf/play and the bezel rests on my pants. Same thing would happen if it's thinner.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can assure you that when Jony Ive designed the next iPad, he was NOT thinking about this use.

Can you? I bet you can't. One simply cannot make such matter of fact statements in life. This goes for just about anything that you can't prove. ;)

As for the design, there is no reason to upgrade if the current design fits your needs and your belly.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Can you? I bet you can't. One simply cannot make such matter of fact statements in life. This goes for just about anything that you can't prove. ;)

As for the design, there is no reason to upgrade if the current design fits your needs and your belly.

If he had thought about the people who use their iPads lying down, he'd institute some mechanism or feature that prevented a blanket or someone's stomach from covering the visible screen area. At this point in time, evidence points to the lack of such a feature.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The only benefit I see is if the models are truly light enough where we can just hold it up with our hands. But I doubt it would be possible to have such a reduction in weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.