Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
LeicaM8
macrumors member

Way to find files on Drives when they're disconnected?

Does anyone know if there is an app which will give Spotlight the ability to say 'last seen on X drive' or if there's a stand alone app which will keep an index of what's on a disconnected drive?

I have like 5 external drives and keeping them plugged in continuously runs up the electric bill when I only need to go get a file from them a few times a week. I remember back in OS9 land encountering apps which allowed users to index data cd's and dvd's to find stuff after the discs were ejected. Is there anything similar here in 10.8 Land

The family accountant would love me all the more if I can make a dent in our electric bill!

Richard in Michigan

----------

BTW: I tried searching the forum, but even with a variety of search terms the results were a complete scattershot unrelated to my needs.
I also searched on MacUpdate (where I'm a member) but again the results were all over the map.
Google was even worse.
Any help much appreciated.
R in Mi.
LeicaM8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

NeoFinder might help, there is also another HDD cataloguing application out there, but I cannot remember its name right now.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
pknz
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
NeoFinder might help, there is also another HDD cataloguing application out there, but I cannot remember its name right now.
DiskTracker?
pknz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknz View Post
I tried to use that too, but the one I cannot remember looked a bit more fancy and not so lovely classical.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
LeicaM8
macrumors member

Big thank you to you both.
I gave a look at those two Apps and I am going to give NeoFinder a whirl. DiscTracker looks like a wonderfully minimalist tool - which appeals to me in a lot of ways, but NeoFinder tracks the full exif iptc gps type info in media files. The ability to do that REALLY appeals to me as someone with tens of thousands of images & thousands of videos to manage.
Sincerely
Richard in Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I tried to use that too, but the one I cannot remember looked a bit more fancy and not so lovely classical.
LeicaM8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store