Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:29 AM   #1
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

What are firefox 20 REAL advantages? None?

Ok, so whats really better about this version? Cause the download arrow on the right is making me crazy. Its gigantic grey pop-up plus blue pop-up is messed up. Yes, you get 2 pop-ups at the same time. Moreover, the donwload window shows only 3 downloads, you cant resize to show more and it always shows the latest download, not necesserally the current unfinished downloading files...

I went back to 19, unless someone says 20 is way superior in handling flash.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Define what are "real" and "not real" advantages.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
palmharbor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
Ok, so whats really better about this version? Cause the download arrow on the right is making me crazy. Its gigantic grey pop-up plus blue pop-up is messed up. Yes, you get 2 pop-ups at the same time. Moreover, the donwload window shows only 3 downloads, you cant resize to show more and it always shows the latest download, not necesserally the current unfinished downloading files...

I hear in Firefox 82 most of the flaws will be fixed...so sit on Facebook until that happens and keep uploading all those pictures folks!
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
dyn
macrumors 65816

No need to downgrade over this since you can get the old one back by simply changing the following key in about:config from false to true: browser.download.useToolkitUI.

The other new features are more under the hood (bugfixes, performance improvements, security fixes): http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0/releasenotes/
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Superior when handling flash? I don't get how you expect it to be better when handling a third party plugin.

The only way that it could get "better with flash" is if it worked like Chrome and had it baked in.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn View Post
No need to downgrade over this since you can get the old one back by simply changing the following key in about:config from false to true: browser.download.useToolkitUI.

The other new features are more under the hood (bugfixes, performance improvements, security fixes): http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0/releasenotes/
Aha! That may work for me, I welcome the under the hood improvements, I just wanted the download window to work as before, I will try and see what happens
Old Apr 4, 2013, 07:28 PM   #7
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Aha! That may work for me, I welcome the under the hood improvements, I just wanted the download window to work as before, I will try and see what happens
You should always run the latest for the security fixes alone
kgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:27 AM   #8
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs View Post
You should always run the latest for the security fixes alone
How much security do I need to acess Facebook?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:38 AM   #9
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No need to downgrade over this since you can get the old one back by simply changing the following key in about:config from false to true: browser.download.useToolkitUI.: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0/releasenotes/
Beautiful, worked perfectly!

I actually liked the new baloon pop-up instead of opening new window. But again, the removal of a pause button, the inabillity to scroll up and down between all downloads and the order the new manager kept ordering the downloads was too much of a change for me wich would slow downs my productvity
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #10
SumoHamster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How much security do I need to acess Facebook?
As much as humanly possible.
SumoHamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Jrtesq
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ok, so whats really better about this version?
It makes Firefox snappier.
Jrtesq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:40 PM   #12
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

On 20 now with old download manager.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:44 AM   #13
dyn
macrumors 65816

From what I've seen there will be improvements to the download panel in upcoming Firefox releases. You could try running Firefox Beta (which is Fx21 now) or even Aurora (which is Fx 22).

You can pause downloads in the download panel though. Rightclick and select "pause". Too bad there isn't a button for it though.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
From what I've seen there will be improvements to the download panel in upcoming Firefox releases. You could try running Firefox Beta (which is Fx21 now) or even Aurora (which is Fx 22).

You can pause downloads in the download panel though. Rightclick and select "pause". Too bad there isn't a button for it though.
worst then this is not be able to scroll between downloads an the order they are arranged, wich requires you to open a a new window do view ALL downloads, wich takes time and resources
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
dyn
macrumors 65816

I don't think you can scroll in the download panel because it only shows a certain amount of downloads (5 or so). I haven't tried downloading a lot of files yet. If you want to view all the downloads then you need to click the bottom option which indeed opens a new window or hit cmd-j (this previously opened the downloads window containing all downloads and it still does that).

I think that works for most users since they don't download many files at the same time, maybe one or two tops. The panel is great for that. If you need more info (like speed which isn't shown in the panel) there is cmd-j. Thought it would annoy me too but it seems to be growing on me actually but then again, I don't download more than 3 files at a time. If I do there is cmd-j. What I wish it did was only show when there are active downloads and disappear when the download list is empty. It doesn't do that and I think I know why: you have the option to drag something to that button to download it. You can't do that when the button is gone. Silly feature if you ask me, clicking is much easier (option-click downloads too).
Old Apr 6, 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

I know the button appearing besides google search may be visually disturbing to someone, but I keep mine at the same bar with the tabs, below the google search, it gest more discrete and never worries me. Below is a screenshot:

The red "T" is a translation add-on, I click on it and it translate to my language the entire page.

BTW, yes you can scroll up and down with the old download window, wich is the one I am using with Firefox 20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 4.01.04 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	406554  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store