Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackk765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
last night a glass of coke was kicked on the back of my macbook pro, it was closed when it happened. i immediately turned it upside down and only one drop of liquid came out directly from the middle. I tried turning it on (stupid i know) and i was getting the power light and the led light coming on but nothing else! so i put it in some rice and left it overnight.

This morning i took the back off and had a look, and it looks like there is almost NO liquid on the logic board or anywhere else, just a few drops here and there. my dad sprayed it with a fair bit of contact cleaner (not sure if this is a good idea or not?) and i put the back on to let it dry. the computer is now charging, usb is working, sometimes it is making startup noises and then dying within about 5 seconds, but other times it sounds like it is on and continues to sound until i turn it off again. oh and nothing is appearing on screen :(

i would just like anybodys opinion on weather contact cleaner is a good idea to use as i was verrrry skeptical about it, or an opinion on weather my computer is now fried or not!! what should i do??

thanks for your time!
any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is it the kind of contact cleaner made for electronics, can you say Brand and type or link to the web site, if it is real Contact cleaner it should be OK, that stuff is made for it.
But, most people clean their Logic Boards with Isopropyl Alcohol as it evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

jackk765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
it was crc co contact cleaner, on the can it says "precision electronic cleaning solvent" and that it doesnt leave any residue! should i now leave it for a few days or take it straight to the apple store?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Since you already turned it on without waiting for a while with the computer in rice, waiting won't help you now. You may have damaged the logic board without completely shorting it, but take it into Apple and see what they can do. Since it was accidental, you will have to pay for it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
it was crc co contact cleaner, on the can it says "precision electronic cleaning solvent" and that it doesnt leave any residue! should i now leave it for a few days or take it straight to the apple store?

CRC should be no problem it`s been used in the electronics industry for years, although it is being phased out by some. I would leave it off for as long as possible, going to Apple is only going to result in a hefty charge as their policy is very strict regarding spills, unless a "one time exception is granted" by a Genius/manager

Basically you have nothing to loose by waiting, however from your description some damage has occurred from the spillage. If the battery is removable take it out, if not and you have the skills same applies or at least disconnect it. Note do not use anything conductive on the connector, some have found out the hard way it`s not a good practise.

jackk765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
ok well i guess tommorow ill take it in and have them look at it for me, maybe they could just clean the small amount of soda off the board. we will see!! also do you know if apple will still look at it if the screws that keep the back in place are missing? or if they sell/replace them? i know its stupid but i had them sitting in a glass and a member of my family washed the glass (just my luck) and now my precious screws are somewhere in the plumbing. its been a great day!

thanks for your replies btw! appreciated.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
ok well i guess tommorow ill take it in and have them look at it for me, maybe they could just clean the small amount of soda off the board. we will see!! also do you know if apple will still look at it if the screws that keep the back in place are missing? or if they sell/replace them? i know its stupid but i had them sitting in a glass and a member of my family washed the glass (just my luck) and now my precious screws are somewhere in the plumbing. its been a great day!

thanks for your replies btw! appreciated.

Apple will have screws but don't expect them to "clean" your logic board. They'll most likely offer to replace it which will cost you. It all depends on who you talk to.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
last night a glass of coke was kicked on the back of my macbook pro, it was closed when it happened. i immediately turned it upside down and only one drop of liquid came out directly from the middle. I tried turning it on (stupid i know) and i was getting the power light and the led light coming on but nothing else! so i put it in some rice and left it overnight.

This morning i took the back off and had a look, and it looks like there is almost NO liquid on the logic board or anywhere else, just a few drops here and there. my dad sprayed it with a fair bit of contact cleaner (not sure if this is a good idea or not?) and i put the back on to let it dry. the computer is now charging, usb is working, sometimes it is making startup noises and then dying within about 5 seconds, but other times it sounds like it is on and continues to sound until i turn it off again. oh and nothing is appearing on screen :(

i would just like anybodys opinion on weather contact cleaner is a good idea to use as i was verrrry skeptical about it, or an opinion on weather my computer is now fried or not!! what should i do??

thanks for your time!
any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Try connecting it to an external monitor to see if anything shows on that screen.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Apple will have screws but don't expect them to "clean" your logic board. They'll most likely offer to replace it which will cost you. It all depends on who you talk to.

At a flat rate of $1240 if it's a 15". Been there, got the cookie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.