Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
jklondon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Upgrading 1.83GHz Mac mini to run lion.

Hi, I have been given a 1.83GHz Mac mini (MA608LL/A), Intel Core Duo, 512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300).

Firstly I am looking to upgrade this machine to run with a 500GB hard drive and I would like to upgrade to use Lion so I can run photostream.

I have heard that I need to upgrade my CPU to a C2D (Intel T7200 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Processor), so therefore do I need to purchase the new hard drive to be compatible i.e 500GB APPLE MAC MINI Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHZ?

Any advice please, will all this work and worth my while? Also If you can provide me any further details on what else to get will help greatly. Also any tips on how to get Lion working on this setup would be fantastic.

Thanks again.
jklondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklondon View Post
Hi, I have been given a 1.83GHz Mac mini (MA608LL/A), Intel Core Duo, 512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300).

Firstly I am looking to upgrade this machine to run with a 500GB hard drive and I would like to upgrade to use Lion so I can run photostream.

I have heard that I need to upgrade my CPU to a C2D (Intel T7200 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Processor), so therefore do I need to purchase the new hard drive to be compatible i.e 500GB APPLE MAC MINI Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHZ?

Any advice please, will all this work and worth my while? Also If you can provide me any further details on what else to get will help greatly. Also any tips on how to get Lion working on this setup would be fantastic.

Thanks again.
You need to upgrade to at least a T5600 which is a 1.83ghz Core2duo processor (I did the same upgrade to two 2006's and bought one T5600 for $10-20 on Ebay). The reason is because Lion requires 64bit compatible processors, and the Core Duo's are not. Then you will need to upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB. You can flash your Mini to be able to take up to 4GB of RAM (only about 3GB will be usable tho). As for a "compatible" hard drive, any SATA 2.5" hard drive will work.

Now, your question is whether it is all worth it. That's entirely up to you. To do all three upgrades will run you less than $200 US. It makes it a pretty decent machine (albeit the GPU stinks). It won't come anywhere near a new Mini though, so again it is entirely up to you.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Comparison

As a comparison, a refurbished i5 Mac Mini is $509.

I can't imagine upgrading a processor in a Mini without some SERIOUS engineering skills.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
lixuelai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
The CPU in that particular Mini should be in a ZIF socket.
lixuelai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
As a comparison, a refurbished i5 Mac Mini is $509.

I can't imagine upgrading a processor in a Mini without some SERIOUS engineering skills.
The original Intel Mini's until 2009 were not soldered to the motherboard like they are now. It is actually a pretty simple process. As stated, the 2006-2008 Mini's had Zif sockets. It's a bit more difficult than say a big tower, but overall not difficult at all. I've already done it twice with no issues.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6
pacmania1982
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham, UK
Even if you could upgrade the processor, I'm assuming that the installer will check what kind of machine it is and say something along the lines of 'sorry, you need a newer Mac'

pac
__________________
15" Late 2013 Quad Core i7 Retina MacBook Pro | 32GB VZW iPad 3 | Apple TV 3 | 64GB iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey
pacmania1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmania1982 View Post
Even if you could upgrade the processor, I'm assuming that the installer will check what kind of machine it is and say something along the lines of 'sorry, you need a newer Mac'

pac
*Facepalm* Please, if you are going to comment at least know what you are talking about.

OP -> Do not listen to those who have never owned this particular Mini or tried to do what you are asking because they do not know what they are talking about.

All that is required is a PLIST file to be deleted and then Lion runs just fine. Both of my 2006 Minis have run Lion (one still does, and the other runs Snow Leopard).
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 04:28 AM   #8
jklondon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Thanks

Hi, thanks for your comments. They have been a great help.
I intend to use the mac mini as a home computer to play films through my tv and will hold all my music and photos.
Do you think its worth upgrading to Lion just for photostream or stick with snow leopard?


Thanks again.
jklondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 04:51 AM   #9
bingeciren
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklondon View Post
Hi, thanks for your comments. They have been a great help.
I intend to use the mac mini as a home computer to play films through my tv and will hold all my music and photos.
Do you think its worth upgrading to Lion just for photostream or stick with snow leopard?


Thanks again.
For what you intend to do, stick with SL. It will run faster than Lion, will need less in terms of hardware and aside from running photostream, will do everything you want. A friend of mine has the same machine and he put a 120GB SSD in it, increased RAM to 4Gb (but only 3Gb is utilised) and keeps the media files on a USB external disk. Since OS and programs run from the SSD, it feels like a different machine now.
bingeciren is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's 1080p playback on 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini? Hellhammer Mac mini 21 Dec 3, 2013 12:54 AM
Upgrading o/s from Tiger to Lion on Mac Mini Solo Abdulhaq Mac mini 6 Apr 27, 2013 10:13 PM
Notice some differences while upgrading 2012 Mac Mini vs 2011 Mac Mini albert1028 Mac mini 2 Nov 9, 2012 07:01 PM
Can the 2012 mini run Lion instead of Mountain Lion propower Mac mini 13 Nov 8, 2012 10:21 AM
Opinions on old style Mac Mini (1.83Ghz) for HTPC blizeH Mac mini 17 Jun 22, 2012 04:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC