Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1
3bs
macrumors 603

How to turn off Login Items for Guest User only?

I have a bunch of apps that I use that I don't want to show up for Guest users like Dropbox, 1password, Fantastical etc. How do I turn them off only for Guest users?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Login Items are set on a Per-User basis. So if you have those apps as Login Items in your user account, they will not be Login Items in Guest Accounts or other user accounts, unless they have been added to the Login Items for those accounts.

If you don't want them to SEE or USE those apps at all on the computer, then you're probably looking at Parental Controls.

You can create an Applications folder in a User account, and install apps there. Then they will only be available to that user.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Login Items are set on a Per-User basis. So if you have those apps as Login Items in your user account, they will not be Login Items in Guest Accounts or other user accounts, unless they have been added to the Login Items for those accounts.

If you don't want them to SEE or USE those apps at all on the computer, then you're probably looking at Parental Controls.

You can create an Applications folder in a User account, and install apps there. Then they will only be available to that user.
Well the thing is, whenever I install any app I select to install it for all users so how would I go about removing them only for guest accounts?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
whenever I install any app I select to install it for all users
How do you do this exactly? I've never seen any such option. However, any application in /Applications is *available* to all users. But being able to use these apps, and having them launch at Login are two different things.

And even if the apps are available to other users, the individual data between each user account will be separate. So if you have passwords in 1Password, they won't be accessible to other users who launch the app.

If you want to protect your data, then don't worry: that's already protected.

If you only want one account to use that app, then put the app in a folder named "Applications" at the top level of your user account.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion