Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
So yet again I randomly decide to take a PowerPc challenge. This time its with my old faithful Powerbook G4 that I will be using over the course of the next 4 days to import 3 hours of footage from Mini Dv camcorders onto its small 60 gig hdd. Edit it together in Premiere pro cs3, then put it into after effects cs3 before burning the finished movie to 50 dvds on the powerbooks superdrive before I will allow myself to go back to my intel mac. These Challenges are some things I do to keep myself appreciating the hardware that I have.

So far I am in the process of installing Cs3 and it works great for internet no bad webpages displayed. Flash is easily replaced with html5 on youtube and many other site, Twitter and facebook run great and so far no real complaints for what it has to work with. The Powerbook is blazing hot so I put it on a cooling pad with fans blowing under it and the powerbooks fans on full blast while editing or rendering. The way I see it is that if this is what the pros used in 2004 then its good enough for me.

At least for now...

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
damn... PowerPC forums are slowwwwwwww todayyyyyyy....

but anyways I have an update for all of you, I have finished editing the 4 hour film and have started rendering the movie in 480p widescreen format to give you an idea of the speed it says 2 days remaining in the render sequence and the processor is at full and has been for several minutes all of the ram is in use and its heating up to 175+ degrees Fahrenheit on the outer case. God knows how hot the insides are, So I have ramped up fans speeds to full on both the cooling pad and the powerbook and have turned the a/c in my house down to 52

more updates after I cook my eggs on the lid :p

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
How fast and what size is your PowerBook? Sounds like a fun challenge. I still use PowerPC systems daily, but I'm not cutting video anymore either.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So yet again I randomly decide to take a PowerPc challenge. This time its with my old faithful Powerbook G4 that I will be using over the course of the next 4 days to import 3 hours of footage from Mini Dv camcorders onto its small 60 gig hdd. Edit it together in Premiere pro cs3, then put it into after effects cs3 before burning the finished movie to 50 dvds on the powerbooks superdrive before I will allow myself to go back to my intel mac. These Challenges are some things I do to keep myself appreciating the hardware that I have.

So far I am in the process of installing Cs3 and it works great for internet no bad webpages displayed. Flash is easily replaced with html5 on youtube and many other site, Twitter and facebook run great and so far no real complaints for what it has to work with. The Powerbook is blazing hot so I put it on a cooling pad with fans blowing under it and the powerbooks fans on full blast while editing or rendering. The way I see it is that if this is what the pros used in 2004 then its good enough for me.

At least for now...

So what your saying is:

I'm truly bored so I'm gonna visit 2003 with 2011 standard and post a record or the event.

If you can't appreciate your Mac Pro with it's little SSD then maybe you should sell it and build a hack maybe then you can appreciate it. :cool:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
So what your saying is:

I'm truly bored so I'm gonna visit 2003 with 2011 standard and post a record or the event.

If you can't appreciate your Mac Pro with it's little SSD then maybe you should sell it and build a hack maybe then you can appreciate it. :cool:

exactly,

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I sort of tried this last summer with my PowerBook g4 before I got the ssd and I could do everything I had done with my macbook except flash content, At this point I have computers that have far more power so I can do just about anything. I might say goodbye to the PowerPC world in a few months

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Challenge Complete and before my deadline too. Next time I am going to make it a even bigger challenge, why not 3d rendering in maya on a stock blue and white g3? :D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Challenge Complete and before my deadline too. Next time I am going to make it a even bigger challenge, why not 3d rendering in maya on a stock blue and white g3? :D

Why on earth would you do that? Anyways, that's without all of the altivec goodies, so it would take weeks.

hansolo669

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Slightly off topic but:

Did Adobe make separate intel and ppc Premier Pro CS3 installers? Mine seems to only be able to complain about my CPU lacking SSE2 (an intel only thing AFAIK).

G4 14inch iBook, 1.33ghz.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Of course I have it for mac :p it wouldn't start otherwise.

Its incredibly confusing considering After Effects CS3 installed (and runs) just fine.

Looks like it requires Intel:

Mac OS
Multicore Intel processor (Adobe OnLocation CS3 is a Windows application that can be used on Macintosh using Boot Camp and Windows, sold separately)
Mac OS X v10.4.910.5 (Leopard)
1 GB of RAM for DV; 2 GB of RAM for HDV and HD
10 GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
Dedicated 7,200-RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
1,280 x 960 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card
Core Audio compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive
Blu-ray burner required for Blu-ray Disc creation
SuperDrive for DVD burning
QuickTime 7 required to use QuickTime features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services

hansolo669

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
I noticed that as I was searching just now.

So what was Lil Chillbil doing running PrPro on PPC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.