Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
UPDATE (27/Jan/2014 00:46 GMT): final version of generic configure tool released: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18693645/

UPDATE (24/Jan/2014 01:16 GMT): I've just released version 1 of my long-promised dynamic AR configurer tool (both full sources and a DEB installer are available): https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18682541/

UPDATE (12/Jan/2014 22:50 GMT): I've released a brand new patcher (along with, as always, full sources), hopefully capable of patching future AR versions on-the-fly: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18631060/

UPDATE (11/Jan/2014 22:41 GMT): the iOS version of my self-standing muter ready!!! See https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18627595/ , particularly the intro on why it may be preferable to my custom muted DEB AR installer.

UPDATE (10/Jan/2014 00:01 GMT):

1. brand new -62 version released as both a DEB file and in my Cydia repo: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18623366/ . No stealth version yet; I'll release a generic, version-independent "stealthalizer" configuration app for iOS very soon, along with a generic "muter" one. The first version of the latter is also available in the just-linked post.

2. an explanation on why you need to manually remove Elias' original version before installing mine: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18623444/

UPDATE (08/Jan/2014 22:51 GMT): I've completely streamlined the “stealth” mode recorders in my Cydia repo. Full description HERE, with tons of (including comparative) screenshots.

UPDATE (08/Jan/2014 9:21 GMT): I've developed further the "stealth" version: now, if you tap the BubbleBobbler icon, it will immediately exit; that is, the list of recordings won't be shown. Nevertheless, the badge is updated after every successful recording session; that is, you get immediate feedback on the success.

DEB installer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...binary-bubble.bobbler_0.4-22_iphoneos-arm.deb

UPDATE (07/Jan/2014 21:28 GMT): as an answer to a request, I've created a version of the app that lists itself as a game on both the SpringBoard and in Cydia and doesn't display its icon when automatically recording a call. DEB file and screenshots HERE. The post also explains how you can remove all its traces from the system-level Settings menu.

2. changed the thread title from "My muted Call (Audio) Recorder for iPhone 4S/5(sc) - NOW supports 5s!!!!!!" to "I've released a stealth mode call recorder!"

UPDATE (05/Jan/2014 16:28 GMT): I've published a brand new app cleaning up the buggy files recorded by Audio Recorder when answering to incoming calls and using a Bluetooth headset. As always, I provide you with even the full sources. Please read THIS.

UPDATE (04/Jan/2014 21:28 GMT): in some cases, if you use a Bluetooth headset with the iPhone and is receiving a call (as opposed to starting one) and you use your handset's Accept button to accept the call, not the iPhone itself, you can encounter one of the following two cases:

- only one CAF file is created and it's severely sped-up
- nothing is recorded, albeit "Recording" is certainly displayed during talk.

To avoid particularly the second case, NEVER receive an incoming call with a button press on your BT headset, but on your iPhone itself!

Should you want to fix existing, sped-up files, dedicated posts with my Audacity tutorial: first, second.

UPDATE (04/Jan/2014 11:48 GMT): I've fixed my Cydia. Explanation of the cause for the bug (geeks only!) HERE.

This means you'll want to switch to using my Cydia repo instead of manually deploying my DEB file: again,

- it automatically install dependencies (CS, PL)
- automatically notifies you when I release an update.

Also, I've posted four new camera enhancer apps, also mine, to the same repo - see THIS thread.

UPDATE (03/Jan/2014 12:08 GMT): I've muted the just-released 4.4-22 and uploaded it both as a DEB (link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/012014/02-camhack/muted444.deb ) and to my Cydia repo.

WRT the latter, I still haven't managed to fix the update badge (more explanation). If you don't like it, install the DEB version instead and do NOT add my beta repo source.

UPDATE (02/Jan/2014 20:08 GMT): I've added 4.4 to my Cydia repo at http://winmobiletech.com/cy . Should you need a quick intro to adding it, I've created an illustrated mini-tutorial:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18581853/

This means you can, now,

- automatically subscribe to new muted versions, directly from me, without(!) keeping an eye on this thread. Whenever I release a new version, it'll pop up automatically in your Cydia client's Changes tab.

- install my version directly without having installed Cydia Substrate and/or PreferenceLoader. Cydia-based installation automatically resolves these dependencies.

HOWEVER: note that, as publishing even in my private Cydia repo takes additional time and effort on my part, I may be late in publishing new versions there. That is, it's the best not to forget following this thread.

UPDATE (01/Jan/2014 18:28 GMT):

1. now, unlike with earlier versions, your calls (both parties) will also be recorded if you (locally) use a Bluetooth headset. Confirmed on both the iPhone 5 and 5s. (Unlikely to work on the 4S, though.)

2. Elias has changed the save directory from /var/mobile/Library/Application Support/UltimateCallRecorder to the much more logical /var/mobile/Documents/AudioRecorder in the newest 4.x series. Note: if you want to quickly delete all your recordings, you can simply delete all the files in the directory via, say, iExplorer.

3. for the “Share” icon (top left one) to work, you must configure at least one mail account. Otherwise, it'll just crash. (Nevertheless, the app can only save recordings via e-Mail.)

UPDATE (31/Dec/2013 19:32 GMT): New version of the muted 4-4 released, fixing the 5s glitches: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...t.limneos.callrecorder_0.4-4_iphoneos-arm.deb

No language restrictions any more.

UPDATE (31/Dec/2013 18:32 GMT): I've muted the latest, 4-4 version, with 64-bit iPhone5s support, released some 8 hours ago.

DEB file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...t.limneos.callrecorder_0.4-4_iphoneos-arm.deb

NOTE: Currently, I've only muted American English. That is, no warning message will be played if and only if your iPhone's language is set to American English. If anyone needs muting other languages, let me know and I consider muting it (it takes a bit of work and the dev has released two versions today, which may mean the next one will soon be released; hence the US English muting only for now).

UPDATE (26/Dec/2013 08:10 GMT):

1. I've released version 3-1. Download links & intro HERE.

I've also thoroughly tested the survival of hard resets - see THIS. Make sure you do reinstall my version after every single reset!

2. Elias Limneos has re-enabled license purchasing - that is, you can register his app on new devices now. This is also great news.

UPDATE (12/Apr/2013 20:50 GMT): the current version (247) has been "muted". That is, you no longer need to downgrade from 247 to 227 (the subject of the previous UPDATE I've posted exactly a day ago.).

1, download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/042013/audiorec/mutedAudioRecorder247-by-Menneisyys.deb

2, Just install it on top of the official, activated 247 you can install from Cydia (right now, from Elias' own repo as it's still removed from modmyi). If you use iFile (the "Installer" menu item) to install, don't forget to respring afterwards. NOTE: instead, if you trust me (I haven't added any backdoors in the app. You can easily check this by just comparing the official and my files with a file comparator tool), you can directly install my version on your device even if you haven't installed any Call / Audio Recorders before without having to go thru the process of downloading the official version from Cydia first. You'll be able to purchase an official license from my version too. (Related user report.)

Also, if it's a fresh install, make sure you disable Settings > Audio Recorder > Play Beep Sound. It's enabled by default and beeps on teh other party's end every 6 second.

(For programmers: more info on what has changed, mute protection-wise, HERE.)

NOTE: you won't need anything below this any more. (Actually, manually changing the strings / caf files won't work in the current version (247) any more, given that the dylib also needs to be changed.) I only keep this stuff for historical purposes so that you can see what happened before v247. You'll only need it if, for some reason, you opt for installing v227 instead of v247.

UPDATE (11/Apr/2013 21:24 GMT): 1, Basically, now that the license purchase server is online again, it should be possible to activate the official 227 version first and just install my muted 227 on it. Albeit some users have reported it does work, some others stated installing my 227 directly on top of an official 246 didn't work. (Neither did on my iPhone 5 once.)

I couldn't test this as it would have involved having to completely restore my previously registered iPhone 5 - which isn't possible now that 6.1.3 is non-JB'able. Please if you still haven't purchased a license, try activating it via the official 227.

2, I'm working on hacking v246 so that it can be muted. Don't know how much time it'll take. As soon as it can be muted, you will be able to install and use the latest (currently, 246) version instead of having to resort to the latest muteable one, that is, currently 227.

UPDATE (11/Apr/2013): WARNING!!!! DO NOT UPDATE TO THE JUST-RELEASED in ModMyi (page). It's currently NOT hackable!!

If you did upgrade and want to rollback to my 227 version but can't as the latter wouldn't record any more, make sure you read my mini-tutorial HERE.

Again: do NOT update for the time being! As I've pointed out HERE, there only seem to be Settings GUI / Help changes in the new version and nothing fundamental.

Original post (5/Apr/2013):

NOTE: this post (and the whole thread - see below) only refers to the paid (non-cracked) version. It will be of NO use to anyone not having purchased a license when it was possible (between 03/27 and 04/01).

I kindly ask everybody NOT to post warez / crack repository links and NOT discuss questions regarding them! Let this thread remain open. I'll keep an eye on possible updates to the official version and will always post a "muted" version of it.

This also means this # (and my version of Call Recorder) will be of no use to people that haven't purchased a license while it was still possible. Sorry about that. However, legal, paying customers "just" wanting to get rid of the (absolutely unnecessary) warning message will find this info VERY useful.

Let me point out again that I do NOT discuss warez. The app I link to only works for legal customers.

The main subject:

In the old thread, I've promised I'd look into the problem of making the official (non-cracked) version of the app stop playing back the compulsory warning message at the beginning of every conversation. After some work, I was able to do this.

Where is it?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/032013/Azul/CallRecorderNoWarningByMenneisyys.deb

As always, install with a DEB installer; for example, iFile. (Tap the file and select "Installer" from the list. Respring after installation.)

Advanced / geek stuff: How does the hack work?

All that has been done was changing the locale-specific Localizable.strings files under /Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/LOCALE-CODE/. All of them have been changed in locales where there were a warning.caf file. (Some localizations didn't have; there, there was no need to touch the strings file.) The change is only done to one value: "LANGUAGEID". Basically, it's the key that has the CRC of the local warning.caf file; this is why these values have been all different in the official version in each of the localized strings files there. In the hacked (muted) one, they're all the same (with the value 8b7e350b06bf1e58ec71bb88f2a895697835274f) as the same zero-duration CAF file is used for all languages/locales.

- as mentioned above, all warning.caf files have been replaced by zero-duration ones.

(- a "hacker" message has been added to the last array entry of /Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/CallRecorder.plist. It's displayed at the bottom of the Settings dialog.)

There have been absolutely no other changes. That is, no cracks, backdoors etc. have been added. This version is absolutely safe to use - I don't send your UDID or other data to any third-party or web site.

Legal issues

As I've elaborated on in several of my posts in the old thread, no call recorder developer has ever been sued in the last 9-10 years; that is, ever since there have been Symbian / Windows Mobile smartphones. Just a few of them (I've tested / reviewed them all back in the day so I do know they are able to record calls, don't play any warnings and some of them even suppress the possible hardware/firmware-generated beeps on some Symbian phones like the N95):

- VITO Technology (WinMo, Symbian)
- Resco (WinMo: "Resco Audio Recorder")
- MobileTimes (WinMo: "FoneWatch")
- Softtrends LLC (WinMo, Symbian: "Phone Call PVR")

In addition, there has even been a Skype call recorder, Call Recorder for Skype (not playing any warning) in the ModMyi Cydia repo (see http://modmyi.com/cydia/com.callrecorder.skype ) for almost a year. No one sued the devs of that app either.

This all means Elias Limneos was a bit too afraid of getting sued. He shouldn't have stopped developing this absolutely excellent app / selling licenses.

Other tidbits

As with the initial version, this (latest, 227) version can't record conversations using the wired or a Bluetooth headset. That is,

- on the iPhone 5, you must use either the earpiece or the speakerphone

- on the iPhone 4S, you must use the speakerphone (the default earpiece will NOT work)

EDIT: Manually muting your existing copy without reinstalling

Should you want to stick with your already-installed version, all you need to do is as follows, assuming your locale is set to the U.S.:

- with iExplorer or any JB-friendly file system tool, go to the directory "/Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/en.lproj"

- delete the two files there: Localizable.strings and warning.caf

- transfer the contents of the following ZIP file there (uncompressed, of course): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/032013/Azul/en.lproj.zip , making sure the results are as follows:

/Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/en.lproj/Localizable.strings
/Library/PreferenceBundles/CallRecorderPreferences.bundle/en.lproj/warning.caf

If your locale is set to somewhere else, you'd need to go to another directory and overwrite Localizable.strings there with another file (but warning.caf can be the same as in this ZIP file). Basically, if you can edit the "Localizable.strings" file, you can just change its LANGUAGEID to 8b7e350b06bf1e58ec71bb88f2a895697835274f, as has also been mentioned above. This would work with any language without the need to install / overwrite anything. (Except for warning.caf, of course.)

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I also bought the official version from limenos and agree it was well worth it.

The "customized" version works perfectly (without audio warning).

+10 to Menneisyys2

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Would anyone by any chance know where it stores the recorded files. I want to open it in another app. Can anyone provide the path please.

Thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Would anyone by any chance know where it stores the recorded files. I want to open it in another app. Can anyone provide the path please.

Thanks

See my #16 in the old thread ( https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17066854/ ):

BTW, some other tips I've come up with: should you want to back up all your calls, they're under
var/mobile/Library/Application Support/UltimateCallRecorder
. As with Call Recorder for Skype, the in and output files are separate. Should you want to join them by hands, check out my for example Audacity tutorial (see section "Call Recorder for Skype compliance"). (Note that, with the new call recorder, you won't need to slow down anything, unlike with Call Recorder for Skype when operated with a BT headset.)

The directory also contains an SQLite database with all the metadata also present in the filename:

callrecsqlite.png

Unfortunately, from the GUI, all you can do is mail the individual recordings, which is, to put it mildly, far from easy if you have many recordings.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The app stores the incoming and outgoing audio files separately.

While I don't remember the path, I believe limenos provided it on a post in his Twitter feed when he 1st released the app ...

or, you could just make a recording and use iFile to search for it.

Edit: Menneisyys2 has provided far better info than I have (see above).

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
See my #16 in the old thread ( https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17066854/ ):

BTW, some other tips I've come up with: should you want to back up all your calls, they're under
var/mobile/Library/Application Support/UltimateCallRecorder
. As with Call Recorder for Skype, the in and output files are separate. Should you want to join them by hands, check out my for example Audacity tutorial (see section "Call Recorder for Skype compliance"). (Note that, with the new call recorder, you won't need to slow down anything, unlike with Call Recorder for Skype when operated with a BT headset.)

The directory also contains an SQLite database with all the metadata also present in the filename:

Unfortunately, from the GUI, all you can do is mail the individual recordings, which is, to put it mildly, far from easy if you have many recordings.

Thanks. Really appreciate it :)

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not sure i understand completly but here is my questions

1) sorry #1 was stupid
2) Does it do like almost any call recorder, aka dial an international number before conneting your call
3) Does it work in Any country (I'm in canada(

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not sure i understand completly but here is my questions

1) Does it announce 'the call is recorded'

The official version: yes; mine: not.

2) Does it do like almost any call recorder, aka dial an international number before conneting your call

Nope; otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
3) Does it work in Any country (I'm in canada(

It does.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Also in your method, instead of changing the files is it possible to ask a menu before each call saying

You want to announce the recording of the call

yes or no?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Also in your method, instead of changing the files is it possible to ask a menu before each call saying

You want to announce the recording of the call

yes or no?

Not from inside the settings of the tweak / the stock Phone app.

However, I can quickly code a self-standing app quickly changing between the two modes. That is, if you plan to give a call to someone you need to announce your recording to, you start my app, which quickly patches the recorder so that it does announce the recording, and vice versa. Want such a thing?

EDIT: actually, such an app would be beneficial to all users: then, they 1, wouldn't need to install my version on top of the original call recorder 2, wouldn't need to hack around the file system to override the hacked warning files / the .strings file. It'd work absolutely independently of the call recorder and, as long as the dev doesn't change the CRC checking method, should work with future versions of the recorder even without my explicitly updating it.

So, guys, I'm open to a vote: who wants such an app?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
For now i'm only taking advice, cuz i don't have the app

Would have to wait for them to licence them again

But if you say you can make a trick that will give me exemple 2 icons

1 that will announce the recording and one that won't

Yes i would like that

(p.s with dumb people instruction :p)

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I wouldn't need the option to have it announced.

1. In the state I live in (Indiana , USA) only one party has to be aware that the call is being recorded, and since I'm doing the calling/recording I'm covered.

2. If I want the other party to know I don't have a problem saying "this call may/is being recorded."

Just my $.02.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
You will have to wait until limneos opens his license server to new purchases.

As far as I know, you cannot run 2 versions of the same app.

It's just a patcher basically just quickly exchanging the audio / string resources so that, when Call Recorder next time plays them back, it already accesses the new set. Basically, it would do the file replacement / overwriting I've explained in my original post automatically, upon invocation - in a similar way the short-lived "Bluetooth On-Off" AppStore app did. That is, it's not a second instance of the same Call Recorder - it only swaps its resource files between the original and the patched versions.

I've written several of such JB apps (see for example my iPhone 3gs / 4 / 4s / 5 video camera enhancers).

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I just tested and found that Limneos license server is back up and working.

So you can license the official version, then once it is working and the license is attached, install the "no audio" custom .deb over the original (courtesy or Menniesyys2... +10).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.