Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Close to Striking Deal with Record Labels for iRadio

Apple is close to signing a deal with both Warner Music and Universal Music Group for its rumored streaming music service, reports CNET.

Content negotiations between Apple and record companies were said to have stagnated because the Cupertino-based company was offering low royalty rates, but CNET's sources say that Apple's music service will bring alternate revenue streams in addition to unique features that are not offered by other streaming music services.
Quote:
That includes a quick way for consumers to buy a song they hear, potentially boosting download sales from iTunes, as well as a revenue share of new audio ads Apple is planning to add to the free service, according to sources.

The product would be tied to iTunes, and available on mobile devices.

The service, according to sources, most closely resembles Pandora because it doesn't offer on-demand listening. Apple is building some unique features, such as the ability to jump back to the beginning of a song, according to one person briefed on the company's plans.
Though Apple is approaching deals with Warner Music and Universal Music Group, the sources caution that the negotiations are not final and could fall through. Apple also needs to work out a deal with Sony Music Group, but is continuing to aim for a summer launch, as was suggested last week.

If Apple is able to complete the negotiations in time, its annual Worldwide Developers Conference could be an ideal occasion to announce the new streaming music service. WWDC dates have yet to be announced, but the conference typically takes place in June.

Article Link: Apple Close to Striking Deal with Record Labels for iRadio
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Just in time for Spotify to start imposing ridiculous rules.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

If they can surpass Spotify, then they'll have my attention. Right now, all they have is my curiosity.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:33 PM   #5
TennisandMusic

Isn't Pandora losing favor because it doesn't let you pick what to listen to? Not only does Spotify have a radio feature, it works everywhere, on everything, AND you can listen to albums/playlists if you desire.

So this will only work on Apple products, and give you no choice over what to listen to? If true, major major pass.
TennisandMusic is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

"new audio ads"???
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors G3

No on demand streaming? No dice for me. I'll stick with Spotify
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:35 PM   #8
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

The only way to compete against Pandora and Spotify is to 1) have ad-less radio (or non-audio ads) and/or 2) make on-demand listening for free.

Neither of these are coming true (and I would prefer the latter option), so good luck with that Apple!
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post

Just in time for Spotify to start imposing ridiculous rules.
Just in time for Samsung to announce "S-Radio"

Michael Scrip is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
troop231
macrumors 601

Waiting for Tim Cook's iRadio apology letter.
troop231 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
The only people I see using this are fanboys. Everyone already uses either Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM. Apple shouldn't make this move. Against it. Also, Apple will find some way to ruin it anyways.
Of course when Google releases something it will be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:37 PM   #12
0nett
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Just in time for Samsung to announce "S-Radio"

Wouldn't surprise me, haha!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Of course when Google releases something it will be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Look at what they start. I'm not being biased or anything but they start niches. Google's Project Glass for example.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
The only way to compete against Pandora and Spotify is to 1) have ad-less radio (or non-audio ads) and/or 2) make on-demand listening for free.

Neither of these are coming true (and I would prefer the latter option), so good luck with that Apple!
How exactly could you do free on-demand listening? How would the record companies/artists make any money off that?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Yes. Clearly.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Waiting for Tim Cook's iRadio apology letter.
I'm sure he's already written it. Apple have an annoying habit of ballsing up everything internet/cloud related.
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Look at what they start. I'm not being biased or anything but they start niches. Google's Project Glass for example.
Look I have zero interest in anything that doesn't offer on demand streaming, so this probably won't be for me. But these days with Apple no matter what they do it gets knocked, and things get knocked before they even get released. I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:46 PM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Look I have zero interest in anything that doesn't offer on demand streaming, so this probably won't be for me. But these days with Apple no matter what they do it gets knocked, and things get knocked before they even get released. I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.
Well sure- it would put the drug companies that pay taxes out of business
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Weegee1
Banned

Quote:
That includes a quick way for consumers to buy a song they hear, potentially boosting download sales from iTunes, as well as a revenue share of new audio ads Apple is planning to add to the free service, according to sources.
In that case, it had better be free! Looking forward to it.

----------

Quote:
How exactly could you do free on-demand listening? How would the record companies/artists make any money off that?
You could have visual ads.

Last edited by Weegee1; Apr 4, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Weegee1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #20
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I swear Tim Cook could get on stage and announce a cure for cancer and people would complain about it.
Yeah, think of all the health care workers who would lose their jobs. Apple is heartless, I tell you... Besides, Apple needs to come up with a low price version of the cure to compete with Asian vendors, otherwise it would be toast. In any case, cure for cancer is not all that revolutionary. Doctors have been curing cancer for a century now. It is just pretty packaging.
theBB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Maybe it's because we have high expectations for change....
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:56 PM   #22
omgwut
macrumors 6502

I'm interested to see it, but... Can Apple come up with something more creative to name it than iRadio?

The "i" suffix before everything Apple branded is getting so tired in my opinion... Lots of people have been talking about how iOS is one big area where Apple needs a kickstart or a refresh, but I think the endless, brainless iMonikors are another... Siri is a cool name, for one -- Yes I know it was acquired, Apple didn't come up with it, but that's the stuff I like. Swallow your own pill and start thinking different, Apple!
omgwut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:58 PM   #23
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Idk, how does Spotify do it on their Mac/PC clients?
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:02 PM   #24
mandis
Banned

Awesome! Bring it on!
mandis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:06 PM   #25
patent10021
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
If they can surpass Spotify, then they'll have my attention. Right now, all they have is my curiosity.
ok Django

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion