Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Firthin
macrumors newbie

Bad ESN Sprint iphone 4s how to unlock?

Im pretty new at this, just bought my brothers iphone for 50, hopefully be able to activate from sprint (sbad esn) to verizon?

im familar with cydia and how to jail break it. even looked up something about SAM.. The questions i have are, Is it possible to unlock it back to sprint? or do i have to switch carriers? and if i do have to switch carriers do i need a physical sim card to do so?

any help much appreciated or links to directions... thanks
Firthin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA and are carrier activated, is the phone contract free? You'll need to contact your carrier to get it activated. If it is still in contract you might need to switch carriers.
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nope, you cant use it again on sprint.
It has a bad ESN.
Only the original owner can clear the esn again by paying the bill or the ETF or whatever other issue there is that caused that iphone to get blacklisted.
There's no amount of hacking or JB that will make Sprint allow it to be activated on their network again. Its something that has to be done on their end.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Firthin
macrumors newbie

There is no contract on the phone, my brother owes however much, so i was wondering if i could unlock it and switch it over to Verizon since it cant be used on sprint again.?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthin View Post
There is no contract on the phone, my brother owes however much, so i was wondering if i could unlock it and switch it over to Verizon since it cant be used on sprint again.?
Nope only the current carrier can fix that.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthin View Post
Nope.
You cant use a Sprint iphone on Verizon even if he paid off his balance and wasn't blacklisted.
Nothing you can do.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

CDMA phones are activated carrier side. GSM phones are activated through iTunes.

So if the ESN is bad only the current carrier can undue that.

If you accuse somebody of being wrong, you might wanna put in he right info.

Last edited by stridemat; Apr 5, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
CDMA phones are activated carrier side. GSM phones are activated through iTunes.

So if the ESN is bad only the current carrier can undue that.

If you accuse somebody of being wrong, you might wanna put in he right info.
CDMA phones are locked to the carrier you CAN NOT activate a sprint on Verizon or vise versa. If its got a bad esn then the only thing to do is pay the bill due and activate it on its original carrier. You give your input that is completely incorrect I find it a waste of my time to explain things that a simple google search could teach you. I find that there is no cure for ignorance.

Last edited by stridemat; Apr 5, 2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Updated quote
Arnezie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:32 PM   #9
stridemat

MOD NOTE

Lets keep this on-topic please with less of the bickering.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Firthin
macrumors newbie

thanks guys!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11
cruzer-u3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Nope.
You cant use a Sprint iphone on Verizon even if he paid off his balance and wasn't blacklisted.
Nothing you can do.
what about international users?
can I active iphone 4S verizon bad ESN over itunes?
thanks
cruzer-u3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #12
coolnitman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer-u3 View Post
what about international users?
can I active iphone 4S verizon bad ESN over itunes?
thanks
Yes you can, but for that you have to buy the unlock which is quite costly.

Last time i saw it was $119 for Bad ESN Verizon
coolnitman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnitman View Post
Yes you can, but for that you have to buy the unlock which is quite costly.

Last time i saw it was $119 for Bad ESN Verizon
Yep.
If the 4S hasn't been unlocked before then it won't activate or work with another international sim unless you pay for a costly unlock.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:27 AM   #14
coolnitman
macrumors member

Quote:
Yep.
If the 4S hasn't been unlocked before then it won't activate or work with another international sim unless you pay for a costly unlock.
Right.
coolnitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:37 PM   #15
angelicacruz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
Nope only the current carrier can fix that.
what if i wanna switch to tmobile ?

so i wont be able to connect on any carrier with bad e..
angelicacruz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:51 PM   #16
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicacruz View Post
what if i wanna switch to tmobile ?

so i wont be able to connect on any carrier with bad e..
you would need a new phone (one that works with tmobile). sprint phones don't work on tmobile as far as i'm aware of. sprint phones can only be unlocked for international use
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:28 AM   #17
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
you would need a new phone (one that works with tmobile). sprint phones don't work on tmobile as far as i'm aware of. sprint phones can only be unlocked for international use
Correct!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
angelicacruz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
hey do u know if i bought a sprint and unlock it can i connect to tmobile or still no
angelicacruz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 03:11 PM   #19
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
hey do u know if i bought a sprint and unlock it can i connect to tmobile or still no
Let's make this very simple shall we?

SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE. UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.

T-Mobile is a domestic US carrier. THERE IS NO UNLOCK! NO! You CANNOT connect to T-Mobile because it would have to be unlocked first AND YOU CANNOT UNLOCK IT!

Last edited by eyoungren; May 16, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
eyoungren is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 04:54 PM   #20
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What phone do you have and which carrier were you previously using the phone with?
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Rishsd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Let's make this very simple shall we?

SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.

T-Mobile is a domestic US carrier. THERE IS NO UNLOCK! NO! You CANNOT connect to T-Mobile because it would have to be unlocked first AND YOU CANNOT UNLOCK IT!
This is just NOT true... I have been on Net10 (AT&T network) for2 years using a Sprint iPhone 4s 16g MD240LL/A using what is called an "imposer card" this card unlocks the phone to use GSM. It works well for sprint as long as you haven't upgraded to 7.1. It still works with 7.1 but I get 2g internet speeds. To get 3G speeds you have to jailbreak the phone and their is no jailbreak for 7.1 & 4s.
Rishsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:14 PM   #22
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishsd View Post
This is just NOT true... I have been on Net10 (AT&T network) for2 years using a Sprint iPhone 4s 16g MD240LL/A using what is called an "imposer card" this card unlocks the phone to use GSM. It works well for sprint as long as you haven't upgraded to 7.1. It still works with 7.1 but I get 2g internet speeds. To get 3G speeds you have to jailbreak the phone and their is no jailbreak for 7.1 & 4s.
It works temporarily or until someone needs to restore or ever update their iphone then its back to being locked.
A gevey sim adapter is not a permanent unlock solution.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:28 PM   #23
Rishsd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It works temporarily or until someone needs to restore or ever update their iphone then its back to being locked.
A gevey sim adapter is not a permanent unlock solution.
What he said was "SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY." 2 years without a problem. The only problem I ever had was upgrading to 7.1, there is no jailbreak. temporary or permanent the phone is still unlocked for domestic carrier use.
Old May 16, 2014, 03:18 PM   #24
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Do me a favor. Pull out your "imposer card" and use your phone on your network. Can you?

No? Then your phone is not unlocked. Your "imposer card" performs a Man In The Middle attack to fool the phone. It's not a TRUE unlock.

If you have to use an R-SIM, a Gevey or any other kind of interposer it is not a true unlock.

I don't know why everyone who uses an imposer seems to think their phone is unlocked. You pull out the imposer and it won't work. Hence, no true unlock. A true unlock works without any kind of additional assistance.

----------

Quote:
What he said was "SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY." 2 years without a problem. The only problem I ever had was upgrading to 7.1, there is no jailbreak. temporary or permanent the phone is still unlocked for domestic carrier use.
If you use the interposer. Pull the interposer out and see how far you get. I ask you, if you don't use the interposer is your phone unlocked?
Old May 16, 2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Rishsd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Do me a favor. Pull out your "imposer card" and use your phone on your network. Can you?

No? Then your phone is not unlocked. Your "imposer card" performs a Man In The Middle attack to fool the phone. It's not a TRUE unlock.

If you have to use an R-SIM, a Gevey or any other kind of interposer it is not a true unlock.

I don't know why everyone who uses an imposer seems to think their phone is unlocked. You pull out the imposer and it won't work. Hence, no true unlock. A true unlock works without any kind of additional assistance.

----------

If you use the interposer. Pull the interposer out and see how far you get. I ask you, if you don't use the interposer is your phone unlocked?
Again What you say is

"SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY."

I can use My iPhone 4s on another carrier other than Sprint. Software, Hardware, or other the phone is still "unlocked" allowing me to use my iPhone 4s with its full capabilities on a different domestic carrier. You are right if I take out the interposer I cannot use my phone. So what? If you take out your sim you can't use your phone ether.

Definition:
Unlocked Unlocked is the term used to describe mobile phones that are not tied to a particular service provider in order to be used.

I "use" my iPhone on another service provider other than sprint.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks