Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
js81
macrumors 65816

Proxy Authentication and Mountain Lion

Any suggestions on this? Even though my proxy settings are SAVED in System Preferences (and I verified they are in Keychain AND are set to allow all apps to use), I get this stupid pop-up all day long. It seems to happen any time I go to either a new website OR a site has ads that are from a site I haven't visited. It's driving me insane! Worst part is it affects all three browsers I use (Safari, Firefox, Chrome) - Safari "works," but only after driving me insane with having to type the username and password multiple times, usually 3; Firefox and Chrome do let me save the password (Safari won't), but nothing ever loads correctly in either of those. This is the first Mountain Lion Mac in our building - everything on SL and Lion work perfectly. Suggestions?

EDIT: Funny part is my SECURE proxy saves and works perfectly... just not HTTP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 8.13.00 AM.png
Views:	49
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	406362  

Last edited by js81; Apr 5, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
js81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:43 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Repair keychain in Keychain Access might help.

Also, make sure the keychain for the proxy is shared to Safari and that the Safari Icon is visible, not a generic Icon.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3
js81
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Repair keychain in Keychain Access might help.

Also, make sure the keychain for the proxy is shared to Safari and that the Safari Icon is visible, not a generic Icon.
I've repaired and it didn't help... says no issues. I have it set to allow to all applications, but it shows the generic @ symbol. I tried SPECIFICALLY allowing Safari, and I still have the same @ symbol. Anything else to try? Never had this problem with SL or Lion. Is it a ML issue, or is my Mac just wonky? It IS a Microsoft proxy server lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 9.10.20 AM.png
Views:	66
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	406367  
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
I've repaired and it didn't help... says no issues. I have it set to allow to all applications, but it shows the generic @ symbol. I tried SPECIFICALLY allowing Safari, and I still have the same @ symbol. Anything else to try? Never had this problem with SL or Lion. Is it a ML issue, or is my Mac just wonky? It IS a Microsoft proxy server lol.
Double click on it and you should see something similar to this:
(Safari should be there, not a Generic Icon)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 20.15.11.png
Views:	48
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	406369  
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
js81
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Double click on it and you should see something similar to this:
(Safari should be there, not a Generic Icon)
Yep, that's what I did. So it doesn't change the icon in the keychain list? If so, doesn't work. I did exactly what you showed. Driving me insane! I even tried creating a new keychain entry - no luck there, either.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yep, that's what I did. So it doesn't change the icon in the keychain list? If so, doesn't work. I did exactly what you showed. Driving me insane! I even tried creating a new keychain entry - no luck there, either.
Sometimes I don't get Keychain as well, I had something similar, passwords not auto filled in Mail for instance, I found out that many of the Icons in Access Control were Generic Icons but the name matched the App, I deleted the offending Icon and reimported it, worked for most but not all.

Keychain has always had it's flakey behaviour, most of the times it works flawlessly, sometimes not and it's hard to find out what the problem is.

In your case it might need an extra entry in the access control tab, what, I don't know.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
js81
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Sometimes I don't get Keychain as well, I had something similar, passwords not auto filled in Mail for instance, I found out that many of the Icons in Access Control were Generic Icons but the name matched the App, I deleted the offending Icon and reimported it, worked for most but not all.

Keychain has always had it's flakey behaviour, most of the times it works flawlessly, sometimes not and it's hard to find out what the problem is.

In your case it might need an extra entry in the access control tab, what, I don't know.
Thanks for your help. I'll keep at it - got a class right now, so I can't do too much. I'll post back if I have any luck...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
js81
macrumors 65816

I have tried deleting the entry for the proxy, even deleting my entire keychain and starting over. NOTHING. It is officially passed the point of annoying...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
js81
macrumors 65816

Any new ideas? I've noticed this problem affects basically ALL non-Apple programs. The Apple programs (Safari, Mail, etc.) work fine, but continually ask for the username and password (even though they're saved), but the Mozilla programs (Firefox and Thunderbird) and Google programs (Chrome and Google Earth) will only load half of the info, ask for the password (which, incidentally, they will save), but then not finish loading the page/info. It's REALLY strange. I'm a teacher in Kentucky - are there any other KY teachers out there using a Mountain Lion Mac on the state's network?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:36 AM   #10
FBeye
macrumors newbie

Oh you don't know how much I feel your pain! This thing has been haunting me for the last year, having to enter my name/pass about 30 times a day when using Safari. Drives me nuts, and all suggestions listed here and all over the web have not fixed this bug...

Quote:
Any suggestions on this? Even though my proxy settings are SAVED in System Preferences (and I verified they are in Keychain AND are set to allow all apps to use), I get this stupid pop-up all day long. It seems to happen any time I go to either a new website OR a site has ads that are from a site I haven't visited. It's driving me insane! Worst part is it affects all three browsers I use (Safari, Firefox, Chrome) - Safari "works," but only after driving me insane with having to type the username and password multiple times, usually 3; Firefox and Chrome do let me save the password (Safari won't), but nothing ever loads correctly in either of those. This is the first Mountain Lion Mac in our building - everything on SL and Lion work perfectly. Suggestions?

EDIT: Funny part is my SECURE proxy saves and works perfectly... just not HTTP.
FBeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:09 PM   #11
pieterjohnson
macrumors newbie

Same problem!!!! Need fix asap

I am currently working in a 1600+ mac user company.

None of us can save Proxy authentication details.
Every restart, we have to reenter !!

Does anyone have a fix ?
pieterjohnson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:09 PM   #12
god1
macrumors newbie

Fix for proxy issues

We have had this issue since 10.7 due to our proxy using NTLM authentication. Had not found a reliable solution until I saw this post https://discussions.apple.com/message/16552271#16552271. I have had success with the method described by poster ctzsnooze but I have only been using it for a day.
god1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store