Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Anybody seen a lightning extension cable anywhere?

Here's the situation: I have an iPad mini mounted to my dash to use for Nav/ICE. It's currently using bluetooth, but I'd like to direct wire. To do that with only one cable attached to the device, I need to use the lightning to 30-pin adapter, so I can use an old-school Y cable that breaks out to USB for power and miniplug to go into my aux input.

Trouble is, even with the cabled version of the adapter, the cable is so short that I'd have the 30-pin plugs laying on the dashboard looking like ****. My mount has a wire loom built in, so if the cable plugged into the mini were long enough, I could hide the full length of it until it drops into the dash. Since i need analog audio (my car claims to have iPod support via its USB port but doesn't really), I can't just use a USB extension with the regular lightning cable. Hence my current search.

So am I looking for a unicorn, or does this thing exist somewhere?

lloyd1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Miami
lightning extension cable

Just Google. "lightning extension cable" (If you are still following this thread.)

So far, I have only been able to find firms in China and Hong Kong. Some have black, some white. Around 8 - 10 bucks. Three or four weeks for order filling and transit.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Anybody seen a lightning extension cable anywhere?

Here's the situation: I have an iPad mini mounted to my dash to use for Nav/ICE. It's currently using bluetooth, but I'd like to direct wire. To do that with only one cable attached to the device, I need to use the lightning to 30-pin adapter, so I can use an old-school Y cable that breaks out to USB for power and miniplug to go into my aux input.

Trouble is, even with the cabled version of the adapter, the cable is so short that I'd have the 30-pin plugs laying on the dashboard looking like ****. My mount has a wire loom built in, so if the cable plugged into the mini were long enough, I could hide the full length of it until it drops into the dash. Since i need analog audio (my car claims to have iPod support via its USB port but doesn't really), I can't just use a USB extension with the regular lightning cable. Hence my current search.

So am I looking for a unicorn, or does this thing exist somewhere?

Have you tried using the ipad direct into the USB in the car? Have you checked to see if there is an update available for your cars head unit? What make/model/year is the car and what head unit does it have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.