Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile USA Begins Taking Pre-Orders for iPhone 5 Ahead of April 12 Launch

In line with its previously announced timeline, T-Mobile USA today began taking pre-orders for the iPhone 5 ahead of its April 12 launch.

Under T-Mobile's new payment model, the 16 GB iPhone 5 requires a down payment of $99.99 with the customer also responsible for an additional 24 monthly payments of $20, bringing the total cost of the device to $579.99. The 32 GB and 64 GB models carry the same monthly payment amounts, but require larger down payments of $199.99 and $299.99 respectively.

Single-line service plans for the iPhone 5 require no contract and begin at $50/month for unlimited talk, text, and data, although data is slowed to 2G speeds once the customer reaches 500 MB for the month. A $60/month plan raises the high-speed data cap to 2.5 GB, and a $70/month plan includes unlimited high-speed data.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Begins Taking Pre-Orders for iPhone 5 Ahead of April 12 Launch
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

so you are basically paying for an unsubsidized phone but then bound to a two year commitment and no savings on the plans ? Why would I do this again ?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
outphase
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
so you are basically paying for an unsubsidized phone but then bound to a two year commitment and no savings on the plans ? Why would I do this again ?
T-Mobile no longer has service commitments
outphase is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Because this is not a contract like with AT&T or Verizon where you pay $200 up front and pay the additional forever if you never upgrade. With this plan you eventually pay off the phone and $20 a month comes off your bill.

I think this is a very unique and appears to be better way to do this. I hope we see others follow.
Popeye206 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
I think you missed the 2nd paragraph of the article:

"Single-line service plans for the iPhone 5 require no contract and begin at $50/month for unlimited talk, text, and data, although data is slowed to 2G speeds once the customer reaches 500 MB for the month. A $60/month plan raises the high-speed data cap to 2.5 GB, and a $70/month plan includes unlimited high-speed data."

The 24 monthly payments of $20 are installment payments for the phone IF you don't want to put out the entire $580 immediately. Also, T-Mob will unlock the phone as soon as the phone is paid off, unlike ATT.

I'm on ATT & no plan to switch to T-Mob, but based on U.S. coverage, not $. T-Mob as a carrier is meh, that is why I won't switch.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Seems like bad timing with iPhone 5S around the corner.
Razeus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:31 AM   #7
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You're only bound if/until the phone is fully paid off. After that, you can leave if you want at no extra fee or if you stay, your bill ranges $50-$70 depending on the data plan.
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:32 AM   #8
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

It just struck me as to how much profit Apple must make on the 32GB and 64GB models. Since the price differences of SD cards of the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models are nowhere close to the $100 and $200.

Assuming that is the type of memory they use in the iPhone. Which makes sense because of the small size.
velocityg4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There's no contract
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
M-O
macrumors 6502

why would anyone buy the unlocked phone from Apple if it's $70 cheaper at t-mobile?
M-O is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #11
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Those prices are good. Good, but not great, when you consider how limited (geographically) t-mo's network is. If they have strong signal where you are, and you don't travel much, then great. But I used to have a t-mo blackberry for work, and it didn't get signal a lot of places my AT&T iPhone did. So for me, that cost savings (which is really not so much at all with the $20/month while paying off the device) is not enough to justify the loss in service.
QCassidy352 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Radio
In Time-Out

The the iPhone 5S around the corner I'd hold out

But
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:37 AM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

meanwhile at T-Mobile in Germany
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:41 AM   #14
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
US and Europe are apples and oranges with this stuff for a variety of reasons. How much do you pay for gas? Again, apples and oranges, just very different markets.
QCassidy352 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Anyone know if the plans include all taxes and fees?

$60/month for 2.5GB of data w/tethering would be a deal if it didn't include the ~$5 in taxes and fees AT&T dings me with.

Also it would be nice if you could put down more - say $300 from the sale of your phone and pay off the rest monthly....
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Davejprince
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Meanwhile at Macrumors where 3% of the members can understand german.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:46 AM   #17
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Dumb question. Can I use this phone using a different country's SIM? I am planning to travel and would like to use another country's SIM.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Anyone know if the plans include all taxes and fees?
No. Do your local retailers include sales tax in their advertised pricing?
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:48 AM   #19
xmaseve
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
why would anyone buy the unlocked phone from Apple if it's $70 cheaper at t-mobile?
I bought mine from Apple since its factory unlocked and I don't have to bother calling a carrier to unlock it. Also, if the phone needs to get swapped out, a new unlock request doesn't need to be put in for the replacement phone...Apple just replaces it with another unlocked one.

Plus, the 30 day return policy Apple has is great.
xmaseve is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
No. Do your local retailers include sales tax in their advertised pricing?
Some do, some don't. A lot of prepaid plans include everything (ie the regulatory taxes) but sales tax - which for $60 would only be $3 for me.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #21
AppleFan73
macrumors newbie

It's cool too see what TMO is doing, but I'll stick to Sprint. Better value for me.
AppleFan73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:52 AM   #22
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejprince View Post
Meanwhile at Macrumors where 3% of the members can understand german.
14 of those 18 words r "americanized" denglish words tho
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:53 AM   #23
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Seems like bad timing with iPhone 5S around the corner.
It means its still quite a time before 5S, probably will come in late august.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:55 AM   #24
slu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
This is a good question. I personally use Straight Talk with my unlocked iPhone 4, but if I can get an unlocked phone from T-Mobile for a cheaper price than Apple when I am ready to get my next phone, I will. Hopefully I can get a good deal on a 5 when the 5S comes out.

I tried T-Mobile on my iPhone 4, but the refarmed coverage where I live is very spotty. But my work phone is T-Mobile and supports AWS, which gives me much better service, but if I am in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't work nearly as well as my Straight Talk sim.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:56 AM   #25
fr33 loader
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
Dumb question. Can I use this phone using a different country's SIM? I am planning to travel and would like to use another country's SIM.
I would assume after you have paid for the phone completely and ask T-Mob to unlock your phone, you would be able to use any SIM card on it...
fr33 loader is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion