Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I've been using an Otterbox Defender since the day I got my 4S back in October 2011.

As much as it has protected my phone's glass from drops and tumbles, it still has flaws.

Flaw#1 - Speckled Glass. Under the "bezel" section of Defender Case, around front-facing camera and ear speaker, the glass has some speckles on it - tiny divots that can not be wiped away. I researched and found it is caused by small dust particles getting under the Otterbox case and pressing into the iPhone's glass over a period of time. Not a HUGE deal since the glass that is speckled is not on the view-able screen area. It's more just an annoying cosmetic gripe.

Flaw#2 - Silicone on the OUTSIDE of the case makes getting it into and out of my pocket a SEVERE PITA. The silicone also warps over the course of a few weeks and has to be constantly readjusted to sit firmly on the plastic part of the case. I'm on my second Otterbox Defender because the silicone on my first one became so warped that it didn't fit firmly on the plastic housing anymore. It was stretched and all out of whack.

SOOOOOOOO....

I need a recommendation.

I'm looking for a good case that is a bit slimmer, but more importantly, doesn't have an outer silicone shell. If at all possible, my perfect 4S phone case would have a inner silicone layer, a smooth plastic outer layer and a built-in screen protector.

I don't know if this exists or not?

If need be, I can just go for the dual-layer case and slap a screen protector on the glass. But I do like the Defender's built-in glass protector since it doesn't slip or peel up around the edges like screen protectors seem to do. I HATE it when the screen protectors peel up on the corners and get dust under them.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.