Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Korea
macrumors newbie

Will my setup be fine?

So I just bought a 1080p tv and the current 3rd gen Apple TV. I have a rMBP and I want to do a lot of airplay thru the Apple TV.

I have a WRT54G router however. Will everything work fine?
Korea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea View Post
So I just bought a 1080p tv and the current 3rd gen Apple TV. I have a rMBP and I want to do a lot of airplay thru the Apple TV.

I have a WRT54G router however. Will everything work fine?
Maybe. Your router has a max wifi of 54mb/s. With wifi overhead, you are probably only going to see a max of around 25-30mb/s. That SHOULD be okay, assuming nothing else is using any of your wifi bandwidth AND your signal is strong with limited interference. Generally speaking I recommend N routers for video streaming, but I would say give it a try and if it doesn't work well (lots of studdering) then you will need to upgrade your router. Can you at least hardwire (ethernet run) your AppleTV? That would definitely help having only one "end" of the airplay on wifi.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Korea
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Maybe. Your router has a max wifi of 54mb/s. With wifi overhead, you are probably only going to see a max of around 25-30mb/s. That SHOULD be okay, assuming nothing else is using any of your wifi bandwidth AND your signal is strong with limited interference. Generally speaking I recommend N routers for video streaming, but I would say give it a try and if it doesn't work well (lots of studdering) then you will need to upgrade your router. Can you at least hardwire (ethernet run) your AppleTV? That would definitely help having only one "end" of the airplay on wifi.
Thanks for the advice paulrbeers! I dont know why I didn't think about this but I can save myself a lot of money by just buying a long enough hdmi cable to go from my rMBP to the HDTV, instead of buying an Apple TV and a new router haha!
Korea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
waw74
macrumors 68020

As Paul said, using hardwire ethernet for either your aTV, laptop, or both will definitely increase your chances for success.

if you do decide to go the long HDMI route, check out monoprice.com you can get a 25 foot cable for under $20
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater