Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
cnixon
macrumors member

iPad with full OS

Since it's release, I have been intrigued by Microsofts Surface Pro, and have even considered selling my MacBook Air to fund the purchase. However, I have withheld because, while the Surface Pro does seem like a glimpse into the future, I feel like the Surface (and similar products) need time to mature.

That being said, how do you feel about a future iPad running a full OS experience. Do you think it is a possibility? Is it the future of computing? As for myself, my mouth is watering for such a product.
cnixon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Don't bother waiting, apple most likely wont put anything more than what you currently see on iOS on the iPad.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

It would suffer from the same usage problems the Surface currently does, specifically using it on your lap to do work. Unlike a laptop, the Surface wobbles and falls over when sitting on anything other than a desk.

And if you're not going to use it to do work, just have an iPad.

If you're trying to simplify to one device, you're going to end up with something compromized by design.

Honestly, your best bet is to eitehr wait for a ModeBook to appear on eBay or hack something together; there are instructions floating around for installing OSX on a Samsung Slate.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
cnixon
macrumors member

Please don't misunderstand. I fully admit that products like the Surface have numerous faults. This is the main reason I haven't purchased one. But I truly believe that in the near future, tablet live devices will run much more powerful OS's instead of beefed up Mobile Software.

I am looking forward to that time.
cnixon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnixon View Post
Please don't misunderstand. I fully admit that products like the Surface have numerous faults. This is the main reason I haven't purchased one. But I truly believe that in the near future, tablet live devices will run much more powerful OS's instead of beefed up Mobile Software.

This has nothing to do with the future, the Surface already does run a more powerful OS.

The point of a mobile device is not neing shackled to a desk, but you can't do that without turning the Surface into a laptop. If you have to carry around a keyboard case or something that steadies it on your lap, you might as well carry around your Air, and if you hardly ever have to carry aorund that keyboard case, well the iPad works fine. If you want the Surface so you only have to carry one device, that's a different matter, but you are still losing the portability advantage of a tablet. You're def losing the great battery.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6
jb1280
macrumors 6502a

how is a "much more powerful OS" incompatible with "beefed-up mobile software"?
jb1280 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1280 View Post
how is a "much more powerful OS" incompatible with "beefed-up mobile software"?
I'm not sure I understand your question. iOS 6 is a 'beefed up mobile software' when compared to iOS3, but it's not a 'much more powerful OS' like OSX, which is the OP wants.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnixon View Post

Desktop apps are not designed for touch.

That's why all the Microsoft tablets in the past many years failed to gain traction. That's why current Windows tablet won't gain traction.

Tablet PC users usually play with the feature for few days, then they forget about the touchscreen.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:56 AM   #9
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

They are making a huge push to get apps designed for their touch interface. Msft is even reaching out to developers on ios to build apps for win 8 touch.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Medic311
macrumors 68000

if you want OS X on your iPad, just jailbreak it and run that OS X jailbreak app which when you open it up, gives you the entire OS X environment

sometimes though, to be honest, dealing with the limited environment of iOS can be refreshing when you're on a regular OS for work
Medic311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:32 PM   #11
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

I think it would be extremely difficult, from a practicality standpoint, to run a "full" OS on a tablet. You almost have to either compromise the functionality of the software to suit a touchscreen device, or sacrifice some of the very hardware conveniences of a tablet (like adding in a keyboard and a mouse) to make running the software more feasible. I operate my Windows 8 PC through my iPad at night, and while I find it highly convenient to do with my disability, I just could not replace the experience with being hands-on with my PC full time, even though Windows 8 is geared toward the touchscreen interface.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:41 PM   #12
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Tablets from like 10 years ago had full Windows XP on them. I see no reason why OS X can't be installed on a future version of the iPad.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:33 PM   #13
boneskid1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Tablets from like 10 years ago had full Windows XP on them. I see no reason why OS X can't be installed on a future version of the iPad.
Just making a point here but those tablets from then were....... Oh yeah like 2 inches thick they had passive screens and the best part. Intel processors.

I am not saying that it isn't possible I just don't think we will ever see anything like that from apple, as they already have the mobile power user with the MBA line
boneskid1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:40 PM   #14
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

i like osx on my laptop and ios on my tablet, no need for osx on a tablet. the tablet experience is better with an os designed for touch, and osx simply isnt designed for that.
i honestly think an 11" air is better than a 10" surface
LeeM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #15
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Tablets from 10 years ago were also a complete failure. Why exactly do we want to follow that business model?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:30 PM   #16
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
Just making a point here but those tablets from then were....... Oh yeah like 2 inches thick they had passive screens and the best part. Intel processors.

I am not saying that it isn't possible I just don't think we will ever see anything like that from apple, as they already have the mobile power user with the MBA line
I know, they were total crap. But it just proves that it can be done. Never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
Tablets from 10 years ago were also a complete failure. Why exactly do we want to follow that business model?
Yet Apple went down that road and created the iPad.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:22 PM   #17
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yet Apple went down that road and created the iPad.
Without a desktop OS.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:56 AM   #18
thewitt
macrumors 68000

People need to leave the desktop paradigm behind when embracing a tablet, and pretty soon you don't miss what you left behind.

I use my iPad for 80% of my serious computing - and never miss a file system.
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

I have an HP Slate 500 which is a two year old 9" tablet running Windows 7 Pro. In a way, it's cool that you can run any Windows software that you like on a small tablet. However it's really difficult to deal with traditional software on a tablet, you have tiny menus and need to use a stylus. Just yesterday I created a problem by dragging a system file to the trash when I meant to select something else from the list.

I guess Windows 8 addresses some of these problems, but I don't think it helps software that wasn't specifically written for a tablet. I keep wanting to like the iPad, but I just don't know why I would need one and haven't gotten one (although I gave one to my kids when it first came out). OTOH, I have a MacBook Air that I love. That makes all my "real" Mac software as portable as I need and I don't see where there would be any advantage to having a touchscreen interface for it.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #20
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Without a desktop OS.
Tablet, nonetheless.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:48 PM   #21
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Tablet, nonetheless.
Yes, but one of the biggest reasons tablets failed before was because they were running a desktop OS and that doesn't work well. You're advocating using a desktop OS when history shows that every time this is tried, it doesn't work well. Even the Surface is not doing very well.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

I was excited about the Surface before it was released, but after I tried it I realized that it's better to have a tablet that does less than you want, but does it well, than to have a tablet that does everything so-so. I hope that some day someone figures out how to combine the two into a great product, but we're just not there yet. When we are, I'll be the first in line.
Silvereel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:26 PM   #23
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
sometimes though, to be honest, dealing with the limited environment of iOS can be refreshing when you're on a regular OS for work
I could not agree more. It's the very reason I own iPads.

A relaxing way to do a little of this and that, nothing serious.

I have absolutely no desire to use one as a "PC replacement".

The "Post PC" concept is for those who never needed a PC in the first place.

(for clarification I used "PC" as generic... for Mac, Win, or Linux boxes)
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes, but one of the biggest reasons tablets failed before was because they were running a desktop OS and that doesn't work well. You're advocating using a desktop OS when history shows that every time this is tried, it doesn't work well. Even the Surface is not doing very well.
I'm not advocating anything. I'm just saying it was done before, and it *could* be done again. Stop being so argumentative.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #25
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I'm not advocating anything. I'm just saying it was done before, and it *could* be done again. Stop being so argumentative.
I got the idea that you thought it was a good idea. If that's incorrect, I apologize. You never did answer my question, though: considering the abysmal history of running a desktop OS on a tablet, what would be the motivation for trying again?

There are lots of things that could be done. Simply stating that something is possible doesn't add much to the discussion without a a reason to do it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad