Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfleep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
I purchased a refurb MBA 11 in late February with the i7, 8gb RAM, 256 SSD, and have loved the computer. It's the perfect size for my needs and the portability is outstanding.

Everything was going great up until two days ago - I put the MBA to sleep and it never woke up. I went thru the various contortions of making sure the power adapter was ok, and doing the SMC reset, and in the end brought it to a apple store. They were unable to revive it, and they are now in the process of replacing the logic board.

Just wondering if these kinds of issues are pretty common, and if I'm likely to experience more problems in the future with this particular MBA?

Also, right before I put it to sleep (after which it died at some point) I had been moving some files from one computer to another via the thunderbolt/ethernet adapter - it was my first time using this adapter. Anyone hear of any issues with Apple's thunderbolt connectors causing logic board issues? The adapter was not plugged in when I put the MBA to sleep. There is a thread on the apple forums where someone experienced multiple logic board failures that they attributed to putting the computer to sleep while an external monitor was plugged in via the Thunderbolt port.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
just bad luck. apple will replace for free so just try and get through it the best you can. be wary of ghost stories of hardware connections causing failures. its not something to be worried about.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
I am also into my first month for an Apple reburbished MacBook Air and so far so good. I plan on getting the AppleCare though even though it comes wtih the standard one year warranty through Apple.

golfleep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I actually just picked up the MBA from the apple store, they were able to get the logic board in and replaced in a little over 24hrs!

Everything's back to normal, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay that way!

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I purchased a refurb MBA 11 in late February with the i7, 8gb RAM, 256 SSD, and have loved the computer. It's the perfect size for my needs and the portability is outstanding.

Everything was going great up until two days ago - I put the MBA to sleep and it never woke up. I went thru the various contortions of making sure the power adapter was ok, and doing the SMC reset, and in the end brought it to a apple store. They were unable to revive it, and they are now in the process of replacing the logic board.

Just wondering if these kinds of issues are pretty common, and if I'm likely to experience more problems in the future with this particular MBA?

Also, right before I put it to sleep (after which it died at some point) I had been moving some files from one computer to another via the thunderbolt/ethernet adapter - it was my first time using this adapter. Anyone hear of any issues with Apple's thunderbolt connectors causing logic board issues? The adapter was not plugged in when I put the MBA to sleep. There is a thread on the apple forums where someone experienced multiple logic board failures that they attributed to putting the computer to sleep while an external monitor was plugged in via the Thunderbolt port.

It sounds like you already have it but I would purchase Applecare for that machine, or any.

Parts fail. It's not anything specific to a "refurbished" it's just electronics fail.

golfleep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
It sounds like you already have it but I would purchase Applecare for that machine, or any.

Parts fail. It's not anything specific to a "refurbished" it's just electronics fail.

I've usually purchased Applecare for most of the apple stuff I own, and had already done so for this MBA, but if I hadn't, there wouldn't be any question in my mind about purchasing it anymore! I've never actually had to use any of my Applecare policies though, who knows, maybe I'll get my money's worth from this MBA! :eek:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Bought a refurb 2010 13" Air two years ago, still going strong! Have used it every day, best laptop I've ever owned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.