Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Just curious if anyone has received the T-MO carrier update yet. Are just the A1428s getting the update or are all factory unlocked iphones getting the update?

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US
apparently it's being pushed now??

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5737

Notes:
T-Mobile Carrier Update
Version
Compatible with iOS software version 6.1.X
This update will not change the software version on your device.
Updated 4/05/2013
Available to all eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card

Features
Enables the following:
Visual Voicemail
4G network indicator
Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)
AWS LTE (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
HD Voice (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
AWS HSPA+ (T-Mobile and new 2013 AT&T iPhone 5 only)
Auto configures:
MMS Settings
Personal Hotspot Settings (Smartphone Mobile Hotspot)
APN settings for LTE connectivity
My Account bookmark

Improvements
Battery life (result of network/device optimization)

Prerequisites
T-Mobile iPhone or any officially unlocked GSM iPhone
Latest iOS software version
Device software is not jailbroken
50% battery life or connected to a power source
Data connection or a computer with iTunes and internet access
Minimum of 1 MB available memory (File size of update is ~10 KB)

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'm so confused... so this won't work with the factory unlocked iPhone 5s? According to that it looks like 1428s will get the update which is stupid!

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I'm so confused... so this won't work with the factory unlocked iPhone 5s? According to that it looks like 1428s will get the update which is stupid!

we can tell you are confused

this is just a carrier update for t-mobile customers if you insert a t.mobile sim to an unlocked gsm phone it'll get this update, all carriers around the world get apple update carrier files, they configure specific values for each carrier, mms settings, lte, apn settings etc...

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US

The way I read it, all valid iPhones at 6.1.x will get the carrier update. Depending on the actual type of phone you then get the different flavors: LTE etc.

Still waiting for it to hit my phone (unlocked A1428).

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
The way I read it, all valid iPhones at 6.1.x will get the carrier update. Depending on the actual type of phone you then get the different flavors: LTE etc.

Still waiting for it to hit my phone (unlocked A1428).

no, not all valid iPhones at 6.1.x only customers who actually have T-mobile service or just inserted a freaking T.mobile sim for godsake

all phones get the same thing except that current iPhone won't pick up t-mobiles 3g AWS only 3g at 1900mhz. this carrier update can't activate this function, nothing can, it requires hardware replacement.

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
We can do this update via safari by visiting http://www.tmobile.com/isetup from our iphone. Just saw this in a tweet :p

I did it and since I'm jailbroken it's telling me I have an unverified profile and that installing this profile will change the settings on my iphone. I'll let someone else try it first :cool:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
We can do this update via safari by visiting http://www.tmobile.com/isetup from our iphone. Just saw this in a tweet :p

I did it and since I'm jailbroken it's telling me I have an unverified profile and that installing this profile will change the settings on my iphone. I'll let someone else try it first :cool:

Well, whoever tweeted it has no clue what they are talking about. That is a settings configuration file (and a really old one at that). If you have an iPhone 5 it will setup the wrong APN settings. And no matter what iPhone you have it will not enable LTE or Visual Voicemail. Just wait on the carrier update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.