Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello, I want to manually upgrade a jailbroken iPhone 3GS iOS 4.1 to 6.1.2 to allow keeping the jailbreak and the unlock (main reason). I already looked for tutorials, and all of them simply say to press "alt" while clicking on "upgrade" in iTunes. I select the IPSW for 6.1.2 (manually downloaded from iosdl.com), and iTunes starts to uncompress it, then installing fails, putting that "This iPhone couldn't be upgraded. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." I also tried to put in in recovery mode, and this time, it fails with an error 1604 (related to USB timing). Why does this supposedly easy operation fails, and how do I upgrade to 6.1.2, but not 6.1.3?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hello and welcome to 2009:D
That manual upgrade method didn't work for over 3-4 years now.
There's a thing called SHSH blobs that stop that from happening.
Read up on it.
Also even if you could upgrade to 6.1.2 you cannot keep the JB and unlock by restoring to a stock 6.1.2
You have lots of learning to do before going further.
I suggest you leave it as is.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
As is, an iOS 4.1 iPhone is near unusable. Stock iOS 6.1.2 can be activated and jailbroken and unlocked, all without a SIM card, even if it means temporarily getting rid of these hacks.

That is indeed strange, because this method is still advertised as of 2013. This iPhone seems to have been previously jailbroken back with iOS 4.1. I used TinyUmbrella 6.12 to save the blobs, then started the TSS server, then iTunes. It fails with the same 1604 error.

Besides, when starting TinyUmbrella, I get weird warning messages:
Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.31.34.png

Which is not true:
Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.31.54.png

So how do I upgrade it to 6.1.2, then?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.31.26.png
    Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.31.26.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.33.47.png
    Capture d’écran 2013-04-05 à 15.33.47.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 222

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
That's not how it works any more.
You need to create a custom 6.1.2 ipsw if you have blobs for 6.1.2 for that device you need to stitch those to the custom firmware.
But before you go any further find out if the 6.1.2 blobs you have are full or partial. Use ifaith.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I would just recommend upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 if you have shsh blobs for those as I'm sure your iOS 6 shsh blobs are invalid/incomplete

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
The iPhone was handed as is. I was referring to posts dated from late 2012 or 2013 that still advertise this method as working. I may not know much, but I am not silly.

If SHSH blobs are created on the device after jailbreaking, then this phone only has 4.1-linked SHSH. My own 3GS does have 6.1.2, but if blobs is device-specific, chances are mine wouldn't "stitch" to a stock 6.1.2 for a similar but not identical 3GS.

Stitching these blobs to a stock 6.1.2 will allow iTunes to install it manually as before?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
The iPhone was handed as is. I was referring to posts dated from late 2012 or 2013 that still advertise this method as working. I may not know much, but I am not silly.

If SHSH blobs are created on the device after jailbreaking, then this phone only has 4.1-linked SHSH. My own 3GS does have 6.1.2, but if blobs is device-specific, chances are mine wouldn't "stitch" to a stock 6.1.2 for a similar but not identical 3GS.

Stitching these blobs to a stock 6.1.2 will allow iTunes to install it manually as before?

Download the latest version of iFaith (v1.5.6) and run it. Plug in your iPhone 3GS and click "show available shsh caches on server". It'll show you what iOS version shsh blobs cydia has saved for you. Click to save them and iFaith will verify them. Most likely, your iOS 6 shsh blobs are invalid. If it has your 5.1.1 saved, you can restore to that version and have an untethered jailbreak

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The post you are talking about were probably made before 6.1.3 which means apple themselves were still signing 6.1.2 so you could just get it from apple, now that 6.1.3 is out you can't.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I would just recommend upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 if you have shsh blobs for those as I'm sure your iOS 6 shsh blobs are invalid/incomplete
Why would I have SHSH blobs for an OS I never jailbroken myself nor installed on any of my i-Devices I currently have and have gotten in the past?

The way I understand an SHSH blob is it's an VIP pass. The doorman-server won't grant access to a given VIP section-version if pass doesn't match both the section-version and the holder's ID.

The post you are talking about were probably made before 6.1.3 which means apple themselves were still signing 6.1.2 so you could just get it from apple, now that 6.1.3 is out you can't.
Fair enough. I can't simply because it would break the software jailbreak and thus, the unlock as well, and that nobody has produced an untethered jb/unlock, as far as I could read, for 6.1.3 yet.

Download the latest version of iFaith (v1.5.6) and run it. Plug in your iPhone 3GS and click "show available shsh caches on server". It'll show you what iOS version shsh blobs cydia has saved for you. Click to save them and iFaith will verify them. Most likely, your iOS 6 shsh blobs are invalid. If it has your 5.1.1 saved, you can restore to that version and have an untethered jailbreak
It could find SHSH blobs for 4.1, the installed version, and for 6.1.3, the current iOS version. None of these blobs would be stitch-able to a stock iOS 6.1.2? Why is it supposed that an iOS 5.1 blob would be stitchable on iOS 6.1.2, but not an iOS 4.1 blob?

I dumped the blobs from my own 3GS (6.1.2), and iFaith reported that 6.1.3 and 4.1 blobs were fetched from Cydia and submitted to Apple. I understand that 6.1.3 blob was "calculated" from my iPhone's ID and fetched from Apple as valid, being the current iOS version? 4.1 was the original iOS version installed when I got this phone. It was not jailbroken at the time. As the warning dialog said, I saved these blobs, as they seem to be irreplaceable. With these 6.1.2 blobs from my own 3GS, should I understand that, if anything goes wrong on my own phone, I will be able to manually reinstall iOS 6.1.2 on the exact same device as long as it is signed?

Lucky I had a hard computer running Windows. This being a Mac's forum, I never assumed I would need Windows for any operation.

shsh blobs are unique to each device and not interchangeable.
I don't know what posts you're talking about but you have lots to learn before you attempt going any further.
That's why the forums are here for, considering external sources of knowledge seem to be ridden with factual mistakes.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Why would I have SHSH blobs for an OS I never jailbroken myself nor installed on any of my i-Devices I currently have and have gotten in the past?

cydia tends to help save shsh blobs for your for the major iOS versions if you have jailbroken before but since you jailbroke when the shsh blobs were fairly new, you must not have automatically been put onto the queue for this. I remember for cydia to do this before, you had to click "make my life easier" when the message popped up in cydia

It could find SHSH blobs for 4.1, the installed version, and for 6.1.3, the current iOS version. None of these blobs would be stitch-able to a stock iOS 6.1.2? Why is it supposed that an iOS 5.1 blob would be stitchable on iOS 6.1.2, but not an iOS 4.1 blob?

it's unfortunate but you are probably stuck with 4.1 since iFaith says you only have 4.1.. iOS 5.1 blobs should not be switchable to 6.1.2. The blobs are specific/unique to each iOS version and each device (as far as I'm aware of)

I dumped the blobs from my own 3GS (6.1.2), and iFaith reported that 6.1.3 and 4.1 blobs were fetched from Cydia and submitted to Apple. I understand that 6.1.3 blob was "calculated" from my iPhone's ID and fetched from Apple as valid, being the current iOS version? 4.1 was the original iOS version installed when I got this phone. It was not jailbroken at the time. As the warning dialog said, I saved these blobs, as they seem to be irreplaceable. With these 6.1.2 blobs from my own 3GS, should I understand that, if anything goes wrong on my own phone, I will be able to manually reinstall iOS 6.1.2 on the exact same device as long as it is signed?

i'm a bit confused here in general. it probably only dumped your 4.1 blobs and fetched 6.1.3 from apple's server as it is still being signed.

Hope that helps

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hope that helps
Well, a bit.

The first answer doesn't. I don't know how this phone was jailbroken before being handed to me, I believe, through any working jb software, but I don't know what, in the myriad of options, have been checked, or what had been performed on it. Certainly not anything linked to an iOS version more recent than the one already installed.

The second one is, "I" don't "have" 4.1; 4.1 came with it, and likely wasn't upgraded since. "I" don't have anything to do with it. So why even talk about 5.1 blobs in the first place if they're not stitchable to 6.1.2? 5.1 or 4.1 just won't cut it.

The last one is clearer: should I understand that Apple only signs the very latest iOS version according to an i-device unique ID, but not any other version? Still you don't answer my question here: as I saved the blobs from my own 3GS with 6.1.2, would I bee able to recreate a signed 6.1.2 iOS version installable on it (and only my own phone) in case something were to happen? In such a case how would I successfully reinstall a signed 6.1.2 iOS on a 3GS?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Well, a bit.

The first answer doesn't. I don't know how this phone was jailbroken before being handed to me, I believe, through any working jb software, but I don't know what, in the myriad of options, have been checked, or what had been performed on it. Certainly not anything linked to an iOS version more recent than the one already installed.

The second one is, "I" don't "have" 4.1; 4.1 came with it, and likely wasn't upgraded since. "I" don't have anything to do with it. So why even talk about 5.1 blobs in the first place if they're not stitchable to 6.1.2? 5.1 or 4.1 just won't cut it.

The last one is clearer: should I understand that Apple only signs the very latest iOS version according to an i-device unique ID, but not any other version? Still you don't answer my question here: as I saved the blobs from my own 3GS with 6.1.2, would I bee able to recreate a signed 6.1.2 iOS version installable on it (and only my own phone) in case something were to happen? In such a case how would I successfully reinstall a signed 6.1.2 iOS on a 3GS?

Because if you want an untethered jailbreak, had iOS 5.1.1 shsh blobs, and wanted to update, that was your only choice. And why won't iOS 5.1.1 work? There's not a lot of difference between iOS 6 and iOS 5. I never said 5.1, I said 5.1.1. I mentioned 5.1 because you asked if they're stitchable to iOS 6.1.2 firmware

There's no way for you to get to 6.1.2 if you don't have blobs for it

Okay, first you said you don't have 6.1.2 blobs, now you say you do? What iOS version is your device on? Is it on 4.1 or 6.1.2 right now?

The info you provide seems to contradict with other info you already provided

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Because if you want an untethered jailbreak, had iOS 5.1.1 shsh blobs, and wanted to update, that was your only choice. And why won't iOS 5.1.1 work? There's not a lot of difference between iOS 6 and iOS 5. I never said 5.1, I said 5.1.1. I mentioned 5.1 because you asked if they're stitchable to iOS 6.1.2 firmware

There's no way for you to get to 6.1.2 if you don't have blobs for it

Okay, first you said you don't have 6.1.2 blobs, now you say you do? What iOS version is your device on? Is it on 4.1 or 6.1.2 right now?

The info you provide seems to contradict with other info you already provided
I do want an untethered jb, indeed. The battery empties so fast on these devices that keeping the computer at hand when the phone needs to be turned back on is a major hindrance.

In fact, I am pretty much indifferent to iOS version, but apps may and will require iOS 6 at a minimum, and don't want to be held back. Currently, these applications (at least those I use fairly regularly) are Evernote Food, Jasmine and SPC card. Granted, this may not seem like much, but as applications are updated, it will grow. Most of the applications I am using (that are quite common, really) require iOS 5 or better. iOS 4.1 is therefore too old to be used at present.

I repeat, since SHSH blobs are device-specific AND iOS version-specific, there is no way I could get them for an iPhone that was jailbrken for iOS 4.1 and not upgraded since. As I stated in post #11, I used iFaith on both this other iPhone 3GS AND my own, much as a matter of comparison. The white one has 4.1, my own has 6.1.2. As such, I do have 6.1.2 blobs saved for my own phone, and asked if they would be stitchable to a stock iOS 6.1.2 if a manual reinstall is needed for my own phone, and if this "signed" iOS 6.1.2 would be installable through iTunes, bypassing Apple authentication that will surely fail since iOS 6.1.2 is not the current iOS version.

The white 3GS, the subject of my first post, stayed untouched since on this topic it was said that 4.1 SHSH blobs wouldn't be stitchables on iOS 6.1.2, or even 5.1.1. I am trying to get this white 3GS upgraded to 6.1.2, since the official jailbreak team has voluntarily halted searching for iOS 6.1.3 security holes, necessary to build a successful jailbreak, to avoid Apple prematurely closing them in the upcoming iOS 7, and instead concentrate their efforts on the upcoming iOS.

The revised question would now be: how do I get a software-unlocked iPhone 3GS, since the current iOS 6.1.3 has no jailbreak and knowing SHSH blobs for this device only exist for iOS 4.1 and iOS 6.1.3?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I do want an untethered jb, indeed. The battery empties so fast on these devices that keeping the computer at hand when the phone needs to be turned back on is a major hindrance.

In fact, I am pretty much indifferent to iOS version, but apps may and will require iOS 6 at a minimum, and don't want to be held back. Currently, these applications (at least those I use fairly regularly) are Evernote Food, Jasmine and SPC card. Granted, this may not seem like much, but as applications are updated, it will grow. Most of the applications I am using (that are quite common, really) require iOS 5 or better. iOS 4.1 is therefore too old to be used at present.

I repeat, since SHSH blobs are device-specific AND iOS version-specific, there is no way I could get them for an iPhone that was jailbrken for iOS 4.1 and not upgraded since. As I stated in post #11, I used iFaith on both this other iPhone 3GS AND my own, much as a matter of comparison. The white one has 4.1, my own has 6.1.2. As such, I do have 6.1.2 blobs saved for my own phone, and asked if they would be stitchable to a stock iOS 6.1.2 if a manual reinstall is needed for my own phone, and if this "signed" iOS 6.1.2 would be installable through iTunes, bypassing Apple authentication that will surely fail since iOS 6.1.2 is not the current iOS version.

The white 3GS, the subject of my first post, stayed untouched since on this topic it was said that 4.1 SHSH blobs wouldn't be stitchables on iOS 6.1.2, or even 5.1.1. I am trying to get this white 3GS upgraded to 6.1.2, since the official jailbreak team has voluntarily halted searching for iOS 6.1.3 security holes, necessary to build a successful jailbreak, to avoid Apple prematurely closing them in the upcoming iOS 7, and instead concentrate their efforts on the upcoming iOS.

The revised question would now be: how do I get a software-unlocked iPhone 3GS, since the current iOS 6.1.3 has no jailbreak and knowing SHSH blobs for this device only exist for iOS 4.1 and iOS 6.1.3?

There is no way to restore to 6.1.2 without any blobs

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
There is no way to restore to 6.1.2 without any blobs

This still doesn't answer my question about my own 3GS: knowing current 6.1.2 blobs have been saved from it with iFaith, would I be able to stitch these blobs back on a stock 6.1.2 and reinstall this custom 6.1.2 back onto my own 3GS?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This still doesn't answer my question about my own 3GS: knowing current 6.1.2 blobs have been saved from it with iFaith, would I be able to stitch these blobs back on a stock 6.1.2 and reinstall this custom 6.1.2 back onto my own 3GS?

Yes, if you have full shsh blobs for iOS 6.1.2 for that particular device you can use ifaith to build a signed ipsw with blobs for that 3GS.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

shot you a PM. if you manually saved these 6.1.2 blobs, they'll work.

are these 6.1.2 blobs saved from ifaith downloaded from cydia's server? or did you save these using ifaith directed at apple's server back when 6.1.2 was still being signed?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

that 3GS has the .ifaith shsh blob for 6.1.2 so you can stitch those to a stock 6.1.2. put the 3gs into pwned dfu mode and restore with that custom firmware.

is that the question you had in mind or was it a different one?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
that 3GS has the .ifaith shsh blob for 6.1.2 so you can stitch those to a stock 6.1.2. put the 3gs into pwned dfu mode and restore with that custom firmware.

is that the question you had in mind or was it a different one?
If you answer "yes" to the subquestion "with iTunes?", then this was indeed the question I had in mind.

Of course it doesn't help with the other 3GS at the moment..

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
So, should I wait for the iOS7 jailbreak to come out, if it remains compatible with the 3GS?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
It would make sense. The 3GS is almost three year old now. Does it mean the latest iOS version to run in it would remain un-jail breakable forever?

Who knows for sure right now. Maybe the exploits used for iOS 7 jailbreak will somehow be used for the last version of iOS 6 as well.

The 3GS and 4 can be jailbroken on 6.1.3, it's just that it would be a tethered jailbreak (or semi tethered)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.