Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Looking to purchase a new desktop as a central photo, music, video hub, generally for the home. Currently own a 2007 or so 15" Macbook pro as the home machine and travel with a year old macbook air.

Was pricing out the basic Imac, when i realized that for $300 more, I can get a 13" macbook pro (non retina) with a faster processor 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, versus 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, in the iMac. Hard drives would be the same, 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, and while the imac has better graphics card, I can't see a big difference.

So help me out, what am I missing?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Was pricing out the basic Imac, when i realized that for $300 more, I can get a 13" macbook pro (non retina) with a faster processor 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, versus 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, in the iMac. Hard drives would be the same, 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, and while the imac has better graphics card, I can't see a big difference.

Thee iMac uses quad core CPUs, the 13" MBP uses dual core CPUs, thus the iMac has two more cores than the 13" MBP. It may not mean much, if you do not do processor intensive tasks though, but CPU and GPU wise, the iMac is faster than the 13" MBP (about twice as fast).
Mac CPU orientated Benchmarks by Geekbench

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
Looking to purchase a new desktop as a central photo, music, video hub, generally for the home. Currently own a 2007 or so 15" Macbook pro as the home machine and travel with a year old macbook air.

Now is really a bad timing to buy a MacBook Pro, when you go take a look in the Buyer's guide, the MPB is at the end of its cycle.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I'm just saying the current models are very capable machine for most users.

Not everyone has to have or even needs the 'latest and greatest'.

I have a brand new iMac and rMBP both late '12 models. Way more machines than the average user will need. Self included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.