Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAdvisorUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
UK
I'm new here so I apologise for being a noob, but anyway I recently had to dismantle my Power Mac G5 in order to repair the damaged case.

I had to remove the RAM, the two CPUs and heat-sinks, disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and remove that metal plate that sits on top of the power supply.

After all this I released I didn't need to go any further and did the repair to the case ONLY. I then reinstalled the processors and connected everything back up, and replaced the FX5200 with a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra.

I plugged the power cable back in and pressed the power button on the front I/O, nothing happened, no LED, no chime, no fans, nothing.

I've read elsewhere that it could be the battery but the fact I removed the CPUs and disconnected the power supply seems like a more likely cause of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Mine would not start once after changing video cards.

What ended up seeming to work was to remove and replace the little battery.

I know it sounds too simple, but it did the trick for me. Good luck!

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Mine would not start once after changing video cards.

What ended up seeming to work was to remove and replace the little battery.

I know it sounds too simple, but it did the trick for me. Good luck!

Try the battery thing, or it could be the power supply is shot. I have had that issue on my G5, thankfully it was within warranty.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Try the battery thing, or it could be the power supply is shot. I have had that issue on my G5, thankfully it was within warranty.

Seems like this was a result with repairing, so unlikely that the PSU would die at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.