Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #1
penfan82
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Just curious if anyone but me still has ipad1

Just wondering if anyone is still on iPad 1 trying to save for a new one can't decide between the mini or a new full sized but still enjoying iPad 1 use it everyday
penfan82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I have a mini for my kids but the portability is about the same as the big iPad as its slightly too big to fit in a pocket. So I got the 4th Gen and love it.
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
I gave my daughter's family an iPad when they first came out. Last Christmas I asked if they had any interest in a new one. They said "no thanks, it still does everything we need".
Boyd01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
best friend has the iPad 1

seems fine with it
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Still have mine.

I managed to downgrade it to iOS 4.3.3 so its runs really well compared to iOS 5.1.1.

I don't really need iCloud as I dont have a Mac.

Might upgrade this year if Mini gets Retina.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
RlhousewifeofOK
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Me! Me!

I still have the original iPad.... I cracked the screen, however, and replaced it at home with a Amazon bargain, well, now the edges don't read well. I also began finding that I couldn't load certain things, so I begged DH for a new one. He bought me a Mini this Christmas, which I love....EXCEPT for the never-ending Wifi issues that I'm having, more and more. In fact, it was so jacked up this morning that I am using my iPad 'classic' right now. I'm almost at the breaking point with my Mini. IDK if it's a Mini + iOS issue (I know any are having issues, across the board, but I've read & had an Apple support guy tell me that the Mini, specifically, has had issues. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to still be able to use my original....I still love it!
RlhousewifeofOK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
davyvfr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RlhousewifeofOK View Post
I still have the original iPad.... I cracked the screen, however, and replaced it at home with a Amazon bargain, well, now the edges don't read well. I also began finding that I couldn't load certain things, so I begged DH for a new one. He bought me a Mini this Christmas, which I love....EXCEPT for the never-ending Wifi issues that I'm having, more and more. In fact, it was so jacked up this morning that I am using my iPad 'classic' right now. I'm almost at the breaking point with my Mini. IDK if it's a Mini + iOS issue (I know any are having issues, across the board, but I've read & had an Apple support guy tell me that the Mini, specifically, has had issues. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to still be able to use my original....I still love it!
When you had your iPad 1, did it ever feel really slow? Were you able to go on Safari without it crashing?

The only reason I am asking is because I am planning to buy an iPad 1 64GB for a family member.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincoln, UK
I still have my iPad 1, although I now have an iPad 4 as well. I got the 4 as I develop games and needed to make sure my games worked properly on the new resolution properly (my existing game and one game I will be releasing son did, but another upcoming game had scrolling and zooming happening twice as fast as they should).

The iPad 1 (on iOS 4) still runs well, and would still be my main iPad if I hadn't needed the 4 for development. I have a few old scaled iPhone games that mess up on the retina screen, so it is still used for them. Plus I still work on some music tracks for my games on it (easier than recreating the tracks on the new device, plus it is memory intensive and there is less storage competition on the iPad 1) as I had quite a few ideas started in studioHD.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9
miniConvert
macrumors 68040
 
miniConvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
I still have an iPad 1 but I don't use it for much. The very limited RAM makes using Safari a chore due to the constant refreshing of tabs and checkerboard when scrolling. It's a bit slow too. But I do use it for Remote.app and YouTube.app with AirPlay - makes for a great device to leave lying around the house for guests.

Wouldn't recommend buying one now though. Things have moved on. I currently use my iPad 2, which is a faithful companion if a bit slow sometimes, and and iPad mini which I adore.
__________________
Where are we? What the hell is going on? --Hide And Seek, Imogen Heap
miniConvert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #10
RlhousewifeofOK
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
When you had your iPad 1, did it ever feel really slow? Were you able to go on Safari without it crashing?

The only reason I am asking is because I am planning to buy an iPad 1 64GB for a family member.
Hi, other than a few occasional drops of wi-fi and normal issues, I never felt it was slow, and crashing-right now my new Mini won't even get on Safari...but my original (which I'm still on) is working perfectly.

Just look at these things: I noticed that some of the newer IOS systems were not available for iPad 1 (ok, I might be getting this confused with my old Touch, so forgive me if that's the case-but I recall using this issue as a selling point for getting a new iPad, lol!), also, there are many apps (especially the new ones) that aren't available for older IOS systems, and the original iPad and Touch. It's sort of a circle....you can't upgrade the new IOS systems, and you need the newer IOS systems for uploading newer apps, if that makes sense. So, slowly, the older devices, like everything, are becoming obsolete.

So, if you're purchasing for, say, someone like my Mom, who as never owned a tablet, will most likely just use it for surfing the web, maybe saving some pictures and reading ....but not making documents/school/heavy work, great deal. Don't buy for anyone who wants the latest and greatest apps, like Skype, stuff like that, because the oldest iPad won't do it.

I can still load pictures, edit them, read, surf, use Pandora...all the basics. It's far from an unusable dinosaur, lol. It works fantastically, too, I've had it since they came out , and, other than the unfortunate cracked screen, have not had any issues. Plus, you can get replacement pieces, cases and other accessories so inexpensively now!!! I love you're getting the huge storage...I have 16GB, and wish I had gotten more storage, every time
RlhousewifeofOK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Yes, you are the only one.
Han Solo 1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
temna
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
No, my wife still enjoys my hand me down iPad 1. The iPad is fully updated which might be why it seemed a lil slow to me. After owning my mini though, her 1 feels like a freaking brick. I can't believe how portable and transportable the mini is vs the old iPad.
__________________
MacBook Air 11, i5 1.4, 4GB, 256GB
iPad mini retina slate 128gb LTE with Logitech Ultrathin keyboard
temna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:51 PM   #13
skittlescat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria
Ipad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by penfan82 View Post
Just wondering if anyone is still on iPad 1 trying to save for a new one can't decide between the mini or a new full sized but still enjoying iPad 1 use it everyday
I have 1,2,3 all cell
skittlescat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:41 PM   #14
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kentucky
I still have my 1. It stays on the kitchen counter and is basically a dedicated cook book. When I find a good recipe online I print to pdf and put it in my dropbox. That and Safari serve all of my needs

I bought a refurb 3 when the 4 came out and that is my daily driver now.
__________________
21.5" iMac; Aluminum MacBook; Power Mac G4; iPhone 4; iPad
My photo Website and gallery
rusty2192 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:58 PM   #15
jeans94621
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I purchased a iPad mini in January. But before that I used my iPad 1. It worked fine especially for Netflix and sling box. I surfed the web and viewed my email. Games played on it perfectly. The only problem I had was the Day one diary app would crash several times before I could use it. And when I typed it would have to catch up with me sometimes a whole row. Safari would crash occasionally but not often. Now I use it for sling box on a tv that doesn't have a cable box. I have used it all day and the app has not crashed once. I also watch videos on it. Now it feels like a brick compared to my mini but I would not sell or trade for anything.
jeans94621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
we had 2 until recently. gave one to my mother in law and the other one is going to my dad when i see him next. we picked up a new ipad and we are looking at the 16 or 32 mini.
__________________
21.5" iMac 23" ACD 11" Air iPad 4 64GB iPad Mini 32GB 4G 64GB iPod Touch 5G 32GB iPod Touch 4G 8GB iPod Nano 3G 8GB Nano Apple TV2 160 GB Apple TV iPhone 5 32GB
Mr Kram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Got an iPad 1 3G, I never really used it as it was too slow for me. Loading webpages took many seconds longer than my laptop. With my iPad 4 it is almost on par with the MBA I had in that regard.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:42 PM   #18
penfan82
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Wow I'm surprised at how many are still out there. I'm waiting to see if the mini gets retina which it looks like it won't anytime soon so I may get the iPad 5 whenever it's released this gives me time to save a little cash
penfan82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #19
blakeables
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Daegu, South Korea
My first generation iPad is still my daily device. It has been with me since launch, traveled through a number of countries, and still looks great. These days, it crashes a lot with my apps (especially flipboard, most games, and even the AppStore). It certainly isn't as reliable as it used to be. I still browse the Internet on it with chrome but not being able to read the news reliably with flipboard or feedly makes me want to upgrade to something newer.

Like you, I've been looking at the mini and 4th generation iPad. Ideally, I want it to last longer than this first generation iPad in terms of iOS updates. I worry about the low RAM in the mini and it keeping up. That being said, I like the size so much that I will most likely purchase it as an upgrade very soon.
blakeables is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:38 PM   #20
davyvfr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeables View Post
My first generation iPad is still my daily device. It has been with me since launch, traveled through a number of countries, and still looks great. These days, it crashes a lot with my apps (especially flipboard, most games, and even the AppStore). It certainly isn't as reliable as it used to be. I still browse the Internet on it with chrome but not being able to read the news reliably with flipboard or feedly makes me want to upgrade to something newer.

Like you, I've been looking at the mini and 4th generation iPad. Ideally, I want it to last longer than this first generation iPad in terms of iOS updates. I worry about the low RAM in the mini and it keeping up. That being said, I like the size so much that I will most likely purchase it as an upgrade very soon.
Are you running iOS 5 or iOS 4? And just wondering, how long have you had your iPad 1 for?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlhousewifeofOK View Post
Hi, other than a few occasional drops of wi-fi and normal issues, I never felt it was slow, and crashing-right now my new Mini won't even get on Safari...but my original (which I'm still on) is working perfectly.

Just look at these things: I noticed that some of the newer IOS systems were not available for iPad 1 (ok, I might be getting this confused with my old Touch, so forgive me if that's the case-but I recall using this issue as a selling point for getting a new iPad, lol!), also, there are many apps (especially the new ones) that aren't available for older IOS systems, and the original iPad and Touch. It's sort of a circle....you can't upgrade the new IOS systems, and you need the newer IOS systems for uploading newer apps, if that makes sense. So, slowly, the older devices, like everything, are becoming obsolete.

So, if you're purchasing for, say, someone like my Mom, who as never owned a tablet, will most likely just use it for surfing the web, maybe saving some pictures and reading ....but not making documents/school/heavy work, great deal. Don't buy for anyone who wants the latest and greatest apps, like Skype, stuff like that, because the oldest iPad won't do it.

I can still load pictures, edit them, read, surf, use Pandora...all the basics. It's far from an unusable dinosaur, lol. It works fantastically, too, I've had it since they came out , and, other than the unfortunate cracked screen, have not had any issues. Plus, you can get replacement pieces, cases and other accessories so inexpensively now!!! I love you're getting the huge storage...I have 16GB, and wish I had gotten more storage, every time
Pages should work just fine on the iPad 1.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
When you had your iPad 1, did it ever feel really slow? Were you able to go on Safari without it crashing?

The only reason I am asking is because I am planning to buy an iPad 1 64GB for a family member.
just buy an iPad 2 64GB refurb
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 05:41 PM   #22
TG1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
It's still in the family. Gave it to my mom when I got the 3rd gen and she LOVES it! All she needs is something for e-mail, news, and her Netflix.
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:23 PM   #23
braddick
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
just buy an iPad 2 64GB refurb
I purchased an original iPad 64GB on eBay for $212.00, shipped.
It is in near new condition.

What would a refurbished second generation iPad 64GB cost?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I purchased an original iPad 64GB on eBay for $212.00, shipped.
It is in near new condition.

What would a refurbished second generation iPad 64GB cost?
definitely more than that
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:13 PM   #25
iSee
macrumors 68030
 
iSee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I still have mine and use it daily to take notes at work, light email, personal video watching and reading books (some fiction and non-fiction, plus a lot of technical books).

To replace it, I'd want an iPad that is significantly lighter, faster and with a retina display. The iPad 4 was really close to getting me to upgrade so the 5 will probably finally do it.
__________________
"Nobody ever reads these things so I can write anything. I'd eat bananas every day if they were crunchy."
iSee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: IPad1 JWBII iPad 1 May 6, 2013 06:26 PM
Using pages on ipad1 wizzerandchips iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Feb 6, 2013 10:33 AM
What can't be done with an iPad1 yoak Buying Tips and Advice 23 Aug 15, 2012 12:35 PM
ipad1 screen DatRippelEffect iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jun 29, 2012 06:58 PM
iOS 5.1.1 on ipad1 krishnashk iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jun 10, 2012 11:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC