Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Latest news I hear on the radio is NASA's attempt to capture an asteroid. Source
WASHINGTON – NASA is planning for a robotic spaceship to lasso a small asteroid and park it near the moon for astronauts to explore, a top senator said Friday.
The ship would capture the 500-ton, 25-foot asteroid in 2019. Then using an Orion space capsule, a crew of about four astronauts would nuzzle up next to the rock in 2021 for spacewalking exploration, according to a government document obtained by The Associated Press.
Why not just use a fallen meteorite that's big enough to study in conditions similar to space (I'm sure that's possible)?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I guess the goal is to test the mechanisms to successfully catch such a big object (500 tonnes are not that easily to catch even on Earth, though lack of gravity is probably an advantage out there), keep it in an orbit (artificially) and then to successfully land on it.

Raw materials are getting rarer and rarer on this rock, thus exploring and exploiting other rocks for such materials will be a big incentive too.

Those things cannot be done on Earth, only simulated, which they already do of course with all their supercomputers.

While it is an expensive adventure, it has to be done someday, and that day is nearing fast.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Latest news I hear on the radio is NASA's attempt to capture an asteroid. Source

Why not just use a fallen meteorite that's big enough to study in conditions similar to space (I'm sure that's possible)?

OMG...Nasa never thought of that. They're so hot to shoot rockets into space it never dawned on them that they could just do the whole thing right here.

What a bunch of dummies!!

But seriously, folks...do you think it's just possible there might be a reason why the asteroid (not meteorite) might be better studied in space. Just one idea...it has not passed through our atmosphere yet and undergone the incredible heating that involves.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I guess the goal is to test the mechanisms to successfully catch such a big object (500 tonnes are not that easily to catch even on Earth, though lack of gravity is probably an advantage out there), keep it in an orbit (artificially) and then to successfully land on it.

Raw materials are getting rarer and rarer on this rock, thus exploring and exploiting other rocks for such materials will be a big incentive too.

Those things cannot be done on Earth, only simulated, which they already do of course with all their supercomputers.

While it is an expensive adventure, it has to be done someday, and that day is nearing fast.
:confused:
"Matter is never created not destroyed"

----------

OMG...Nasa never thought of that. They're so hot to shoot rockets into space it never dawned on them that they could just do the whole thing right here.

What a bunch of dummies!!

But seriously, folks...do you think it's just possible there might be a reason why the asteroid (not meteorite) might be better studied in space. Just one idea...it has not passed through our atmosphere yet and undergone the incredible heating that involves.

Which could still be simulated on Earth...

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, I know, but as you can see from all the waste depositories we have, we have not successfully learnt to transform that transformed matter into reusable matter again.

So can car and plane crashes, and still those poor beings get crushed before being released to the wider public.

Almost everything can be simulated, look at masturbation, but one still wants the real deal, look at sex between two or more parties.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

----------

The "Matter is..." quote contributes to the discussion how??:confused:

As you keep asserting. I'm taking a wild stab in the dark, but could it possibly be that the conditions for the study intended by NASA require conditions that can not be simulated on Earth.

Wait, how stupid of me. You MUST be right, and those Nasa dopeys must be wrong. If I were you, and considering your posts concerning your interest in developing a career path for yourself, you should re-consider the idea of being a tycoon, and consider being an advisor to NASA. Considering you obviously have a much better grasp on this project, it would be unpatriotic of you to keep it to yourself and not inform NASA of the error of their ways.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

The point is to be able to capture items in space, which involves incredibly complex planning and calculation. It's like a moonshot+.

This is for advancing science, not simulating that advancement.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Asteroid mining is a way off yet. We will be basically constrained to whatever comes within our limited grasp and so have no control of what could be mined. Costs to capture, mine and bring the materials to Earth are currently prohibitive even for the rarest of materials. I can see it being useful for planetary defence although they claim that is not the primary mission. I guess we have to learn these skills at some point.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

They kind of give you a clue as to the point of this mission in the article itself.

Nelson said the mission would help NASA develop the capability to nudge away a dangerous asteroid if one headed to Earth in the future. It also would be training for a future mission to send astronauts to Mars in the 2030s, he said. But while it would be helpful for planetary defense, "that's not your primary mission," Schweickart said.

It'd be difficult to simulate that on Earth.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Because the asteroid changes as it screams through the atmosphere at 17 times the speed of sound, vapourizing everything on the surface of the meteorite and even the rock itself before smashing into the ground with enough force to plough a hole in the ground metres deep.
"Matter is never created not destroyed"...
Well, technically a lot of matter is changed into energy - so while perhaps not destroyed it is no longer useful as matter, or energy. And.. for matter that is still 'matter-like' ... if we want more, say... Iron... I don't know that the skyscrapers of NYC or the rail lines or the shipping lines are going to be so keen on giving up the iron. So, what we are looking for are new sources.

At some point, perhaps. But if we don't know what an asteroid is made up of before that screaming descent through the earth's atmosphere... then how would we know what to simulate? That's the same as me asking you to draw the floor plans for my house. You've never seen it, so even if you were the smartest draftsperson in your class you are starting from a bit of a handicap, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.