Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Then here's another one.

From the facebook page

"We Want a New Macpro"

------
"I'm posting this on a Saturday because I kind of want it to go unnoticed.

This will actually wind up being more of a non-post than an actual post. (if that makes any sense)

I spoke with the Executive Offices of Apple on Thursday.
I called Joe Walker's contact early Thursday morning to verify a few things. The initial contact was off that day but I received a return phone call from someone else in the office later around 7:00pm EST.
The conversation lasted about 40 minutes.
The only part of the conversation that I am willing to reveal at this time is that at the end of the conversation I told them that I hoped to see at least ONE slide at the WWDC with specific information for the Pro marketspace.

I will keep the rest of the details of the conversation to myself until after WWDC. This will make better sense at that time.

Now just pretend you didn't read this.
This isn't the post you are looking for.
Move along."
---------------

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
This is stupid, revels nothing, and is not a rumor. Just because a person tells Apple that they expect something in no way means that Apple is going to do it.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
This is stupid, revels nothing, and is not a rumor. Just because a person tells Apple that they expect something in no way means that Apple is going to do it.

That's true. It reveals nothing official. But it's a rumor with a tooth or two. Reading between the lines it means we will have some actual specs and maybe a sighting to discuss at and after WWDC.

If WWDC comes and goes with neither then we can form a lynch mob and introduce old Chirpie here to some "strange fruit". ;)

So that's good news. Thanks Chirpie.

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
That's true. It reveals nothing official. But it's a rumor with a tooth or two. Reading between the lines it means we will have some actual specs and a sighting to discuss at and after WWDC.

Nothing of the sort. All the OP said was that he told Apple what he expects to be shown at WWDC. That reveals nothing at all. We have no idea what their response was. For all know they told him to F off or maybe they told him to expect a billion core Mac Pro.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Sounds legit. It implies that we'll see something at WWDC, even if it's just some sort of development announcement.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Nothing of the sort. All the OP said was that he told Apple what he expects to be shown at WWDC. That reveals nothing at all. We have no idea what their response was. For all know they told him to F off or maybe they told him to expect a billion core Mac Pro.

Like I said: "read between the lines"! And if it turns out not to be the case then we can all add Chirpie to our ignore lists. ;) This is exactly how rumors and unofficial leaks look - and how they work.

If they had told him to f-off or nothing at all then he shouldn't have posted anything. But he did post. So if he's acting in good conscience and not being a twaat that's the message here.

Last edited:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I told them that I hoped to see at least ONE slide at the WWDC with specific information for the Pro marketspace.

If I call Apple and tell them what I want to see at WWDC will it make it true also???

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The only part of the conversation that I am willing to reveal at this time is that at the end of the conversation I told them that I hoped to see at least ONE slide at the WWDC with specific information for the Pro marketspace.

I will keep the rest of the details of the conversation to myself until after WWDC. This will make better sense at that time.
---------------

Great conversion :rolleyes:, and by that I mean completely useless post.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
If I call Apple and tell them what I want to see at WWDC will it make it true also???

I think the key point here is that the conversation lasted 40 minutes. One could assume that if you called and told them what you wanted, that conversation would last far less than 40 minutes.

Of course he may have been hold for 39.5 minutes.... ;)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I think the key point here is that the conversation lasted 40 minutes. One could assume that if you called and told them what you wanted, that conversation would last far less than 40 minutes.

That has a huge assumption that the call was only about one issue. If it covered multiple issues it could easily cover 40 minutes. To presume that someone called up Apple to primarily push for a slide insertion into the WWDC presentation is a bit loopy. I imagine Apple Exec care could have a conversation that narrowly centered for that length of time with a customer, but primarily as a "therapy" session. Not as an actionable exercise.

This whole thing smells of someone with some kind of narcissistic, "grabbing his/her own crotch talking smack" exercise. "I called Apple and told them what to do; I'm a bad mofo". Whatever. Honestly, I think this kind of communicating with Apple is a contributing reason to why there hasn't been an earlier update to the Mac Pro.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I only expect a possible mention of the promised pro Mac at WWDC but nothing too specific. USB 3.0 and TB is a given.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Funny enough, your link is all 2012. Time to get a bit more specific.

apple hasn't announced it so it likely isn't going to be posted on the web so google won't find it.

If want to go spelunking, try the Moscone West calendar. You'll probably find some nondescript block of time marked out in June.

P.S. hmm, there isn't:

http://www.moscone.com/site/do/even...8B9B?nav.type=0&nav.base=1304&nav.filter=1306

but can see what is booked in Moscone West in June/July. WWDC is not going to be at those times. :)

P.P.S. WWDC is going to sell out in 2 hours or less. ( probably less than an 1/2 hour). there is not much upside to announcing it earlier than the window for reasonable plane fares allows.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think we will find out Monday.

;)

ADC is down for an extended time maintenance . Not the usual hour or two.

Attachments

• adcdown.png
    adcdown.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 80

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I only expect a possible mention of the promised pro Mac at WWDC but nothing too specific. .

The whole reason for Apple pulling of out fixed date conventions was so that Apple could announce products when they were ready to ship. Last Fall's iMac announcement is an perceptual SNAFU not the norm.

It doesn't make much sense at all to reverse that for Apples roughly fixed date convention. WWDC is primarily about developers and associated APIs and how applications/drivers/etc can leverage the ecosystem on top of them.

Either Apple will have something. Or Apple will have other products that they want folks to pay 100% attention to. Taking time to state "and one other thing we have totally scrwed up and do not have anything ready for pros" would only serve to misidrection attention from what Apple is announcing.

Apple announcements tend to be extremely focused on small subset of things. Besides the "carl sagan" billions and bllions segment at the beginning that is pitching Apple stock sales, it is focused on a handful of real products they are going to let the press do some hands-on with after the dog and pony show.

Otherwise every one of the writers is going to write a mini segment in their story about how Apple had an whole year to clean up the Mac Pro mess and didn't. That almost certainly will be accompanied with a "Maybe Apple died with Steve Jobs doom and gloom" sentence (or worse paragraph). Yeah that sounds like a very successful plan to weave into WWDC. Not. Either knock it out of the park or make those folks forget about the issue.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
That has a huge assumption ...

I'm not assuming anything, and you are taking this way too seriously. I am merely idly speculating on the tea leaves that we have, on a forum that deals specifically with 'rumours' ... hence the inclusion of that word in the title. I think I may go and throw some bones later this afternoon.

I absolutely believe that we know nothing about when or even if there will be a new Mac Pro this year, next year or ever. We don't even know who actually knows and and doesn't know. We may have already dismissed the correct predictions of someone who actually did know what was going on.

(There was a famous quote by a politician about knowns and unknowns...

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." It helps if you read it with bad Hollywood French accent...)

Nor do I really care, other than as a distraction from work. I've got my 'new' refurbed Mac Pro all set and it will do me for at least 3 years ... at which point I will certainly know what Apple released in 2013, 2014, and if I'm lucky 2015.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Funny enough, your link is all 2012. Time to get a bit more specific.

PS - There are some serious Negative Nancy's around these parts.

Yeah, this site has got to be the weirdest I've ever seem!!! You got people here who will discuss fantasy specifications of nonexistent products and speak with great authority about it too. And the very same folks don't know what a low-level leak looks like when posted. Weird! Just plain weird!!!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm not assuming anything, and you are taking this way too seriously. I am merely idly speculating on the tea leaves that we have,

Eh? Maybe you should look up the meanings of the words "assume" and "speculate". Or pick a single side.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Eh? Maybe you should look up the meanings of the words "assume" and "speculate". Or pick a single side.

I don't need to look up those words, as I am perfectly competent to communicate in english and I don't have to pick sides if I am having fun speculating. Later this afternoon I plan to glean some news about the new Mac Pros from the pattern of bubbles inside a beer glass. I'll share what I find out if there is any new news. ;)

Last edited:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

;)

Hearing monday would be nice but I doubt a website has anything to do with it. We are most likely accessing the server that faces the world and they do all of their work on a separate authoring server that then publishes changes to the other one.

For updates like just one of their products the site does not go down. Only if you are completely rewriting the site and it is faster to copy the files some other way would you get any downtime at all.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hearing monday would be nice but I doubt a website has anything to do with it.

You probably would want to take the server down for extensive reconfiguration before it is hit with a very large DDOS attack; the registration process. that server is going to get pummeled when they say "registration is open". The rest of the year you need a completely different box and configuration.

WWDC is a bit whacked because it is capped at ~5,000 attendees. Each year the number of developers increases by an order of magnitude larger number. The number of folks looking for those relatively few spots is creeping closer to being two order of magnitude bigger.

Several 100K folks banging away for 5K slots .... is effectively a DDOS attack.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
You probably would want to take the server down for extensive reconfiguration before it is hit with a very large DDOS attack; the registration process. that server is going to get pummeled when they say "registration is open". The rest of the year you need a completely different box and configuration.

WWDC is a bit whacked because it is capped at ~5,000 attendees. Each year the number of developers increases by an order of magnitude larger number. The number of folks looking for those relatively few spots is creeping closer to being two order of magnitude bigger.

Several 100K folks banging away for 5K slots .... is effectively a DDOS attack.

Ah, multiple conversation threads. I took it as a mac pro announcement on the developer site .... one of those 'the store site is down so pages must be changing' things.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

;)

Nothing to do with WWDC (so far). They're redoing the provisioning portal for iOS development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.