Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Someone wants to borrow my iPad 1, so I want to remove my email activity and history from it. I removed my iCloud account from the device. But when I delete the emails on the device, it still removes those emails from my iCloud account. Are there more steps I need to take to disassociate Mail on this device from my others?

I don't want to reset as a new device for the following reasons:
  • Resetting updates the device to the newest possible version of iOS. iOS 4.3.5 performs much better on an iPad 1, plus I am a developer and need an iOS 4 device.
  • I have quite a few game saves on there, including several for my young nephew.
  • I have multiple incomplete music compositions for my future games on there.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If the email account is present on the device then it is linked to the server so the deletion thing is working the way it should. You'll have to totally delete the account to avoid that. If it isn't an @me.com or @icloud.com it is not controlled by the iCloud settings but rather a separate mail settings. Which makes sense given that imap accounts (which is what you're describing) rarely to never stay on the device after logging out

If this is a full iCloud account with contact syncing then you aren't in iOS 4. That type of account is only iOS 5 and higher. And for sure if it is iOS 5 you can do an erase all contents and settings from the General/reset settings and later restore an iTunes backup without having to update the iOS version. You might be able to even in iOS 4. Otherwise you could certainly manually delete everything to clear it off.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Thank you for the replies. It is my iCloud account (with an @mac.com address), although it still comes under MobileMe in iOS4.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thank you for the replies. It is my iCloud account (with an @mac.com address), although it still comes under MobileMe in iOS4.

Just remove the accounts from the iPad there is no need to delete the emails

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.