Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Farkle-Mpls
macrumors newbie

Max size for RAID1-enabled file system?

Hello. I'm running Mac OS X (10.8.3) and I am wondering if any of you have tried, using Disk Utility, to create a RAID 1 volume greater than 2TB? I tried before -- may have been on 10.7.x -- and was prevented from doing so by Disk Utility.

I've filled my iTunes mirrored volume up at 2TB and would like to create a larger mirrored volume. Do I have any other options? Binding two or more RAID1 volumes together by striping (RAID 10) isn't my preferred option as the last time I did that, the implementation seemed a bit ... fragile. Because of this I'd be reluctant to store important data in this manner (however, if others have had success, I'd be willing to try it again).

Returning to my original query, does anyone know how to create a mirrored volume larger than 2TB? Is it supported on Mac OS X (10.8.x) perhaps?

Thank you.
Farkle-Mpls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Flantec
macrumors newbie

I have 2 4TB Raid 1 Mirrors in my Mac pro (2009), made with disk utility, and there was no problem setting it up. As long as your hardware supports it, I do not imagine that you have any problem.
Flantec is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion