Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Peter Franks
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Battery Health query for a 2011 MBP

10.6.8
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1333 DDR3
SL

Out of interest people, what sort of health should a battery be in 2 years down the line? Battery life was never that great from day one, but it's now even worse.

However....

iStat is showing Health 94%

And the OS says..

Cycle Count: 292
Condition: Normal

I don't remember what is said before, does it ever say, 'good' etc. Is normal, the 'norm'?
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
292 cycles with 94% batter health is more than okay. I have 442 cycles in almost four years with now 92% health (though I had 89% the weeks before).

And battery life is depending on a lot of factors like display brightness, WiFi/Bluetooth on/off, CPU activity and more.
______________________________________________________
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ by GGJstudios
The F.A.Q. includes the following topics:
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY


______________________________________________________
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Thanks, I had very little going on today, just paperwork and not much else doing, but it went down really quick from 100% to 7% and that's why I was alerted to it.

I get why it dies when I'm watching YouTube or Flash stuff, but today was pretty sparse and after a couple of hours it was gone. Was quite surprised.
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Also like to add, that since I've had this, I've never used the keyboard backlight, It's always off, but beginning to feel it makes no odds to battery life at all. Didn't help any.. Anyone else turn theirs off
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
vistadude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
94% means it's good. Anything better than 80% is pretty good. When I bought my macbook, it was about 93% to start out with. Now more than 3 years later, it hovers from 84-87%. Using backlight shouldn't matter really, it's more about how many charges and discharges you go through.

Actually the most important thing is not the percentages, but rather how long it lasts. If it lasts 7 hours when brand new, I would replace it when it lasts 3 hours or less.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Sorry, I didn't see this.

I've never had 7 hours from it, since new. It's at 92% now with 296.

In fairness the only thing I really dislike about my MBP is the battery life. I really expected a lot more from battery when I switched to Mac, and sometimes it's a couple of hours at most. I don't think it was ever at it's peak, even when new. Maybe it was this model.
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:38 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Out of interest people, what sort of health should a battery be in 2 years down the line? Battery life was never that great from day one, but it's now even worse.

iStat is showing Health 94%
Cycle Count: 292
Condition: Normal

I don't remember what is said before, does it ever say, 'good' etc. Is normal, the 'norm'?
Good is the same as normal. It's called "Good" in Leopard, "Normal" in SL and later versions of OS X.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Thanks, I had very little going on today, just paperwork and not much else doing, but it went down really quick from 100% to 7% and that's why I was alerted to it.
That's your battery charge level, not your battery health, that dropped from 100% to 7%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Also like to add, that since I've had this, I've never used the keyboard backlight, It's always off, but beginning to feel it makes no odds to battery life at all. Didn't help any.. Anyone else turn theirs off
There are many factors that impact your battery life, and keyboard backlighting is one of the minor factors. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
I've never had 7 hours from it, since new.
Apple never claimed you would get 7 hours. They said "up to 7 hours".

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Thanks, Yes, that was charge level, didn't mean health, obviously. I know it's up to 7 rather than definite 7, but I've never come anywhere near that.

Due to my set up in my house, I've only ever used WiFi, it's never plugged in. Presume that makes a difference, but would think most use wirelessly anyway
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Just a quick ask...

Is it normal that the health when I posted last on April 14 was showing 94% and now it's at 86% just a couple of weeks on? The cycle was 292 and now at 313, but should health deteriorate that quick, it's only been a few weeks?
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:39 PM   #10
The-Pro
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Franks View Post
Just a quick ask...

Is it normal that the health when I posted last on April 14 was showing 94% and now it's at 86% just a couple of weeks on? The cycle was 292 and now at 313, but should health deteriorate that quick, it's only been a few weeks?
It fluctuates and thats normal.
my 2010 15" MBP has 678 cycles and a battery health of 91%. IMPRESSED! But last months it said 79% health. , usually it stays aroun 85-88 in the last year.

If you put your screen brightness down below 50% and are just typing in Pages and browsing light webpages now and then you will easily get 7 hours.
I have managed to get 9 hours out of mine doing the above. I strictly dont use Word because I found it hardly ever goes below 20% CPU usage and often times for no apparent reason goes up to 60 for fun, even when just typing plain text. So i always use pages as it its below 5% for about everything.

If your battery drops too quickly for what you are doing, then check the activity monitor. Select all processes instead of my processes. In a lot of cases a printjob manager or some other task is hogging cpu and more then halves your battery life. See what is causing the cpu usage and quit the application if not needed.
Flash adds on websites are a real pain. They can make the WebProcess (part of safari) spike up to like 40% then back down again every couple seconds. Huge impact on battery life. Find the webpage and close it, if the info on the website is text and important, save it in your reading list and read it there.
Look into the clicktoflash and clicktoplugin safari extensions. They stop lots of flash ads from loading, better for ram usage and battery life.
__________________
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985

Last edited by The-Pro; May 10, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Pro View Post
It fluctuates and thats normal.
my 2010 15" MBP has 678 cycles and a battery health of 91%. IMPRESSED! But last months it said 79% health. , usually it stays aroun 85-88 in the last year.

If you put your screen brightness down below 50% and are just typing in Pages and browsing light webpages now and then you will easily get 7 hours.
I have managed to get 9 hours out of mine doing the above. I strictly dont use Word because I found it hardly ever goes below 20% CPU usage and often times for no apparent reason goes up to 60 for fun, even when just typing plain text. So i always use pages as it its below 5% for about everything.

If your battery drops too quickly for what you are doing, then check the activity monitor. Select all processes instead of my processes. In a lot of cases a printjob manager or some other task is hogging cpu and more then halves your battery life. See what is causing the cpu usage and quit the application if not needed.
Flash adds on websites are a real pain. They can make the WebProcess (part of safari) spike up to like 40% then back down again every couple seconds. Huge impact on battery life. Find the webpage and close it, if the info on the website is text and important, save it in your reading list and read it there.
Look into the clicktoflash and clicktoplugin safari extensions. They stop lots of flash ads from loading, better for ram usage and battery life.
Thank you for your help. I can charge battery to 100% and come on here and within 3 minutes it's on 95. I have to use Word for Invoices but I don't use it every day, and don't own a printer. All my invoices are emailed as PDFs. I use Mail more than anything I suppose. And obviously Safari a lot. They are the 2 that are always open. I've turned off all the things I'm supposed to do and never ever use the keyboard lights, that's always off, but I still don't get great battery. I really think it's luck of the draw with the MBP because many get great life, and many also like me who bought the mid 2011 have had problems. One thing I will say, I only use on WiFi, which I know probably doesn't help much. But I can turn that off to watch an AVI film and get the same battery leak. I expect it watching films though. And I cant make it through a 2 hour DVD so don't even try anymore on this.
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Peter Franks
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London UK
Antique brass lights... Seriously?
Yep, that's helped my battery problems
Peter Franks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 MacBook Air Battery Health Help Gman021 MacBook Air 14 Apr 2, 2014 08:10 AM
New MBP 13 Battery Health urbis MacBook Pro 4 Jul 3, 2013 04:06 AM
New MBP 13 Battery health Wrightpd MacBook Pro 6 Jan 25, 2013 02:54 AM
Battery Health for MBA 2011 deltaray MacBook Air 4 Oct 1, 2012 06:58 PM
Battery Health MBP 13" hemantuec MacBook Pro 3 Jul 1, 2012 11:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC