Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
tooch196
macrumors newbie

Possible fix for slow shut down and desktop background reset

For awhile now I too have experienced slow shut down times also the desktop background resetting when i restart or shutdown. I went into system preferences, then to security and I disabled automatic login. I have to login everytime i power up now. It has fixed my issue with the desktop background resetting original also, seems my shutdown times have greatly improved also. Lemme know if this worked for anybody else. Thanks

Last edited by tooch196; Apr 7, 2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: wrong description at first
tooch196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Krazy Bill
Banned

The things you have done are entirely unrelated to slow shutdowns. I suspect that somewhere your tweaks forced a rebuild of permissions and purged a few things temporarily.

The shutdown issue will be back.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
3rd Rock
Banned

Agree 100%. Give it a few days or even less. It will return

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility. You will be asked to enter your password after the first entry....You will notice a 3 second shutdown

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1
3rd Rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
tooch196
macrumors newbie

I hear ya I can't explain it. Im more pleased that the desktop background isn't constantly resetting every time i power down or reset. Its been 3 days so far and the long shut down times haven't been back yet.
tooch196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
3rd Rock
Banned

Perhaps others would like to try this OP. For me, I will not since I like having the auto log in myself
3rd Rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion