Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1
SAdProZ
macrumors 6502

Garageband a good editor?

Hey guys, quick question for all you garageband experts:

Is Garageband 2.0 a good editor? I havent used it at all. But Im starting a Sonic Arts club at my school (which is full of G5's) and I'm wondering if I should start the class using Garageband if they are beginners.

The tasks I will start them out with is taking CD's or MP3's of their fav music and splicing bits and pieces together. Does Garageband handle that well? Id also like to see tempo/pitch manipulation, and just general cutting/copying/pasting of audio clips. Does Garageband perform well with these basic audio editing functions?

If not, what software is easy enough to use for a class of audio beginners?
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:50 PM   #2
The Truth
macrumors regular

GarageBand is especially good for recording music, not so much for editing (or remixing) pre-recorded music. You can check out examples of some of the tracks I've created in GarageBand here: http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Diversion/

If you want to do remixing, you might need to look at Logic Express or something.
The Truth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:38 AM   #3
SAdProZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
GarageBand is especially good for recording music, not so much for editing (or remixing) pre-recorded music. You can check out examples of some of the tracks I've created in GarageBand here: http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Diversion/

If you want to do remixing, you might need to look at Logic Express or something.
hey nice songs! yeah Logic is something i dont think i wanna push onto people that have never recorded. I wish Adobe Audition was Mac compatible.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4
quigleybc
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAdProZ
Hey guys, quick question for all you garageband experts:

Is Garageband 2.0 a good editor?

I would say that the basic editing techniques in Garageband would be perfect for a school of beginners. Highlight>split track>new Track drag and drop...easy as that.

i would say that Garageband is the perfect beginners app for what you want to do...My .02 cents
quigleybc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 09:10 AM   #5
louis_sx
macrumors regular

Garage Band is sorely lacking in the editing department. I ended up spending a buttload of cash on a MIDI setup and Logic Express. I like LE an awful lot because of the score editing and being able to do step input. Garage band is only going to read MIDI data as it's played in real-time, and not being a keyboard player makes that exceptionally difficult for me.

Of course, depending on what you want to do exactly (like if you want score edit stuff and MIDI playback) you could go with something like Geniesoft ScoreWriter.
louis_sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 09:17 AM   #6
fayans
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
....Id also like to see tempo/pitch manipulation, and just general cutting/copying/pasting of audio clips....If not, what software is easy enough to use for a class of audio beginners?
One vote for Audacity.

I Google and I'm Googled
fayans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:43 AM   #7
numediaman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to numediaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayans
One vote for Audacity.
Audacity is great at certain things, GarbageBand is great at certain things.

I would rather "edit" with Audacity, but would rather "re-master" or "re-mix" with GarageBand. Neither is a professional ap, but both are still very, very useful.
numediaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:09 PM   #8
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

I havent really cracked the shrinkwrap on Soundtrack 2.0, but if it is what ive read, why not use that?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Apple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by numediaman
Audacity is great at certain things, GarbageBand is great at certain things.

I would rather "edit" with Audacity, but would rather "re-master" or "re-mix" with GarageBand. Neither is a professional ap, but both are still very, very useful.
I kind of agree but I think that garageband is good at recording the best
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:21 PM   #10
macbodock
macrumors member

Quote:
........I wish Adobe Audition was Mac compatible.
SAdProZ,
Have you seen Peak LE 5 from Bias-Inc? I understand that it is alot like Adobe Audition(a.k.a "CoolEdit). There is also Deck LE...Food for thought....

Warmest Regards,
macbodock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio