Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Hey guys, quick question for all you garageband experts:

Is Garageband 2.0 a good editor? I havent used it at all. But Im starting a Sonic Arts club at my school (which is full of G5's) and I'm wondering if I should start the class using Garageband if they are beginners.

The tasks I will start them out with is taking CD's or MP3's of their fav music and splicing bits and pieces together. Does Garageband handle that well? Id also like to see tempo/pitch manipulation, and just general cutting/copying/pasting of audio clips. Does Garageband perform well with these basic audio editing functions?

If not, what software is easy enough to use for a class of audio beginners?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
The Truth said:
GarageBand is especially good for recording music, not so much for editing (or remixing) pre-recorded music. You can check out examples of some of the tracks I've created in GarageBand here: http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Diversion/

If you want to do remixing, you might need to look at Logic Express or something.
hey nice songs! yeah Logic is something i dont think i wanna push onto people that have never recorded. I wish Adobe Audition was Mac compatible.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
SAdProZ said:
Hey guys, quick question for all you garageband experts:

Is Garageband 2.0 a good editor?

I would say that the basic editing techniques in Garageband would be perfect for a school of beginners. Highlight>split track>new Track drag and drop...easy as that.

i would say that Garageband is the perfect beginners app for what you want to do...My .02 cents

louis_sx

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2005
International House of Louis
Garage Band is sorely lacking in the editing department. I ended up spending a buttload of cash on a MIDI setup and Logic Express. I like LE an awful lot because of the score editing and being able to do step input. Garage band is only going to read MIDI data as it's played in real-time, and not being a keyboard player makes that exceptionally difficult for me. :(

Of course, depending on what you want to do exactly (like if you want score edit stuff and MIDI playback) you could go with something like Geniesoft ScoreWriter.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
numediaman said:
Audacity is great at certain things, GarbageBand is great at certain things.

I would rather "edit" with Audacity, but would rather "re-master" or "re-mix" with GarageBand. Neither is a professional ap, but both are still very, very useful.

I kind of agree but I think that garageband is good at recording the best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.