Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:10 PM   #1
ApolloYSU
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
DVR to vipod

I have the AlchemyTV DVR for my Dual 1.8 G5. It works great, the only problem is the conversion time to get a file onto the vipod. After the show gets recorded, I run it through compression in ffmpegX then take that file into quicktimepro to export it to the proper format.

I recorded David Letterman the other day and it took about 45min to compress it in ffmpegX then about 5-6 hours in QuicktimePro to produce the working .m4v file. It looks great on the ipod, but does anyone know an easier program then QTPro?

Oh, and http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-p...version-guide/ doesn't work, I get an error in itunes when i try to transfer that file to the vipod saying "some of the video connot be added to ipod)
ApolloYSU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:41 PM   #2
freeny
macrumors 68020
 
freeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloYSU
I have the AlchemyTV DVR for my Dual 1.8 G5. It works great, the only problem is the conversion time to get a file onto the vipod. After the show gets recorded, I run it through compression in ffmpegX then take that file into quicktimepro to export it to the proper format.

I recorded David Letterman the other day and it took about 45min to compress it in ffmpegX then about 5-6 hours in QuicktimePro to produce the working .m4v file. It looks great on the ipod, but does anyone know an easier program then QTPro?

Oh, and http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-p...version-guide/ doesn't work, I get an error in itunes when i try to transfer that file to the vipod saying "some of the video connot be added to ipod)
use this post and get yourself handbrake http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/ dont use the h.624 codec when following the links directions. use mp4 and ffmpeg as your settings. should work fine. handbrake doesnt just rip dvd. it also converts.
freeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:49 PM   #3
snowmoon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Send a message via AIM to snowmoon
You should be able to make high quality viPod video directly from ffmpegX. Check out my post to see what settings I used in the commandline version ( I'm not positive how cleanly they map to the GUI ). The current issues that you need to be aware of

1) Keep you pixel count ( W * H ) less than 230400
2) Use mpeg-4
3) Bitrate no more than 2.5mbps

Recommendations include the use of 2 pass encoding for quality.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=37
snowmoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Sky Blue
macrumors 604
 
Sky Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon
You should be able to make high quality viPod video directly from ffmpegX. Check out my post to see what settings I used in the commandline version ( I'm not positive how cleanly they map to the GUI ). The current issues that you need to be aware of

1) Keep you pixel count ( W * H ) less than 230400
2) Use mpeg-4
3) Bitrate no more than 2.5mbps

Recommendations include the use of 2 pass encoding for quality.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=37
everything if i rip stuff with mac the ripper, then encode it with ffmpegx, i get a message saying "QuickTime cannot open the file: "LITTLE_BRITAIN_DISC_1 Title 7.VOB.ff.mp4"
an invalid sample description was found in the movie (-2041)"

any ideas?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 01:02 AM   #5
BWhaler
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue
everything if i rip stuff with mac the ripper, then encode it with ffmpegx, i get a message saying "QuickTime cannot open the file: "LITTLE_BRITAIN_DISC_1 Title 7.VOB.ff.mp4"
an invalid sample description was found in the movie (-2041)"

any ideas?
See the instructions above using Handbrake. It is easier than what you are doing, and it works.
__________________
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -- Hunter Thompson
BWhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to connect DirecTV DVR to my wireless network goldfishcracker Mac Basics and Help 5 Sep 10, 2011 01:14 PM
Possible to get DVR to my macs HD? Simgar988 Community Discussion 9 Dec 31, 2009 06:39 PM
How to get video from a DVR to my iMac. nickyj182 Digital Video 3 Feb 2, 2008 08:12 PM
HD DVR to Elgato Hybrid or Mini HD? whoooaaahhhh Buying Tips and Advice 16 Oct 16, 2006 05:03 PM
Record from DVR to MacBook iBeard Digital Video 1 Jul 27, 2006 12:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC