Avid Announces Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, iOS Compatible Recording Hardware - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Avid Announces Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, iOS Compatible Recording Hardware

Avid today announced new versions of its flagship video editing and audio production applications Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, as well as two new Mac- and iOS- compatible hardware interfaces for recording audio at home or on the road.

In addition to a number of new features, Media Composer 7 receives a significant price cut, bringing the standard edition to $1000, down from $2500. It will be available in June.

ProTools 11, which Avid says "represents a quantum leap in creative power", gains a redesigned audio engine and 64-bit architecture. The standard edition of Pro Tools 11 is available for $700, with upgrades ranging from $300 to $500 depending on which previous version of Pro Tools is owned. The new version should be available later this quarter.

The Avid Fast Track Solo and Duo include Pro Tools Express for recording and editing audio on a Mac, and also connect directly to the 30-pin connector on older iOS-hardware, and to newer iOS devices via the 30-Pin to Lightning adapter.

The Solo provides one mic preamp and one instrument input, while the Duo provides two mic preamp/instrument inputs, and two line inputs.
Quote:
"Today's aspiring songwriters and musicians want a high-quality, affordable recording solution that's portable enough to let them create wherever they are," said Dana Ruzicka, vice president of Segment and Product Marketing at Avid. "Providing access to the industry-standard Pro Tools family, Fast Track Solo and Duo deliver this capability like nothing else on the market today."
The Fast Track Solo and Duo are available now for $180 and $300 respectively.

Article Link: Avid Announces Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, iOS Compatible Recording Hardware
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
kemal
macrumors regular

Great to see this stuff coming around. Is there any issue with lag using the 30 pin to Lightning adaptor?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Great, now come on Apple give us some Logic Pro love too. Pretty please....

(Those ProTools 11 licences are damn pricy even for upgrade of ProTools 10)
MacRumorUser is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
ronwasserman
macrumors regular

At last! Now if Apple (hopefully) has a new Mac Pro around the same time I'll be set!
ronwasserman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
uraniumwilly
macrumors 6502

Interface with Garageband?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Awesome.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

FML, this is the EOL for for millions of TDM cards. And if the price wasn't hurting you bad enough for an upgrade, the lack of plugins converting over to the new AAX will be.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
benspratling
macrumors 6502

quantum leap?

confused quantum "leap" with quantum tunneling.

Last edited by benspratling; Apr 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
benspratling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Icaras
macrumors 601

So we now have Digital Performer 8, Ableton Live 9, and Pro Tools 11...

And yet still, Logic Pro X hasn't been released.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Xavier
macrumors 68020

As a Avid user, this is great news!
Xavier is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraniumwilly View Post
Interface with Garageband?
Overkill a bit?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
ivanozerov
macrumors newbie

I don't care that my old TDM cards are dead with this version.

I don't mind waiting for updates for some of my favorite plugins.

OFF
LINE
BOUNCING

I have a stiffy under the desk at work just thinking about it.
ivanozerov is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:20 PM   #13
jayducharme
macrumors 68000

Quote:
to newer iOS devices via the 30-Pin to Lightning adapter
Avid is a bit late to the game with this. There are several other iOS audio options with more to offer. Avid should have gone with native Lightning support to differentiate themselves from the competition.
jayducharme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:26 PM   #14
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Avid is a bit late to the game with this. There are several other iOS audio options with more to offer. Avid should have gone with native Lightning support to differentiate themselves from the competition.
pretty sure the $599 upgrade for offline bouncing is all anyone who uses this day in day out cares about. everything else is fluff.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Unfamiliar with the latest. What are some other reccommended iOS audio recording devices?
Tilpots is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Let's hear it for competition.

I'll admit, I had completely forgotten that the previous version of AVID Protools was still 32-bit.

I'll be interested to see how the speed differences play out in real world scenarios.
chirpie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:32 PM   #17
DevoAtari
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
FML, this is the EOL for for millions of TDM cards. And if the price wasn't hurting you bad enough for an upgrade, the lack of plugins converting over to the new AAX will be.

TDM is too old an architecture for 32-bit, even; and there should be a serious overhaul... But I agree there should at least be some support for an exchange or upgrade program. Avid should give incentive for manufacturers of older plug-ins to upgrade to AAX. Like Sonic NoNoise for instance... There's a good chance that will never be upgraded to AAX.
DevoAtari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #18
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Dear Jeff Beck, Please destroy Glenn Beck. And, if you need to, use your guitar.

I'd be happy for him to ignore Glenn Beck and to use his guitar much more often. Jeff beck is one of the all-time greats on electric guitar.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:44 PM   #19
DevoAtari
macrumors newbie

I'm glad that they've finally come out with a 64-bit version, but I'm pretty pissed at the cost of upgrade. I understand that it's 100% new code; but back with Pro Tools 7|HD, it only cost $300 to upgrade to 8|HD, which incidentally came with a free upgrade to 9|HD... So, $1000???? I know 7|HD was $800 brand new, and you had to buy HD|Accel card(s), and there is something to say for inflation... But an upgrade... For $1000?? Jiminy H. Criminy!
DevoAtari is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:50 PM   #20
milo
macrumors 603

Nice to see they finally have these features, but they're the last major DAW to go 64 bit (over three years ago for Logic), and all the others have been doing offline bouncing for years. Not much else listed, so this mostly looks like a release catching up to the other DAWs. I guess they also are hyping "more power" but that sounds like they just fixed up the native plugin processing which has never been particularly efficient. And along with that comes loss of compatibility of plugin formats and plenty of hardware - it's a painful and expensive road being a PT user these days.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:04 PM   #21
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Nice to see they finally have these features, but they're the last major DAW to go 64 bit (over three years ago for Logic), and all the others have been doing offline bouncing for years. Not much else listed, so this mostly looks like a release catching up to the other DAWs. I guess they also are hyping "more power" but that sounds like they just fixed up the native plugin processing which has never been particularly efficient. And along with that comes loss of compatibility of plugin formats and plenty of hardware - it's a painful and expensive road being a PT user these days.
It does have a sort of Quark Xpress redux vibe to it. ;-)
chirpie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Schizoid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
At last! Now if Apple (hopefully) has a new Mac Pro around the same time I'll be set!
Agreed, if there's something decent to run it on, I'll be very happy!
Schizoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:43 PM   #23
Poisednoise
macrumors regular

I'm not a Pro-Tools user, but to be honest given the way they've treated users of their other software (Sibelius specifically) I wouldn't throw any more money at upgrades to anything Avid still owns at this stage.
Poisednoise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

In addition to a number of new features, Media Composer 7 receives a significant price cut, bringing the standard edition to $1000, down from $2500. It will be available in June.
That's one hell of a price cut...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 03:02 PM   #25
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That's one hell of a price cut...
Which is great for new users but a bit scary for a company with such big financial problems.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion