Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoosPhotog

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
I am in the process of building a website for my soon-to-launch freelance photography business and have been trying to select a good Wordpress theme I can use or adapt for my needs. I've found two that each have some features I really like, and I others I dislike.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience combining themes? I realize that's not an easy task, so any guidance is much appreciated. I'm a bit of a newbie to web development (thus a wordpress-based site with an off the shelf theme so far), but I learn quickly don't get intimidated by complex processes if it is one.

The themes are:
http://themble.com/bones/
http://www.wpexplorer.me/photo

I like Bones for the performance and Photo for the clean layout and nice Social placement. However, if this is a fool's errand I would appreciate knowing that (and why it is) as well.

Thanks!

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Without really knowing what you're doing on the coding side, attempting to combine two themes developed separately is probably more trouble than it's worth (I say that not having looked at these particular themes in depth).

As you've said you don't have much experience with this, your best bet would probably be to go with the layout you like and look for WP plug-ins to add the other features.

evopanop

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2004
Inland Empire, CA
Without really knowing what you're doing on the coding side, attempting to combine two themes developed separately is probably more trouble than it's worth (I say that not having looked at these particular themes in depth).

As you've said you don't have much experience with this, your best bet would probably be to go with the layout you like and look for WP plug-ins to add the other features.

Could not agree with this more. It would be, most likely, ridiculously time consuming to attempt to combine to completely different themes. The CSS, and more importantly, the Functions / Hooks, and how they're called, could all be completely different. It could turn into a massive headache / nightmare, real fast.

Definitely better off just finding a theme that you're happy with, and using WP plug-ins to add on additional functionality; or, writing your own if you're willing to sit down and learn how. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.