Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...y-announce-next-generation-of-xbox-on-may-21/

Thurrott added even more to mull over. He said "Durango" is likely to be expensive -- $500 for the regular console itself and $300 for a subscription-based model.

Thurrott also chimed in on the controversy over rumors that the next Xbox would require an always-on Internet connection. A creative director with Microsoft Studio got himself into hot water last week when he told people upset over such a requirement to just "deal with it."

:eek:

EDIT: Changed "may" to "will"

Last edited:

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The no backwards compatibility is more of an issue for me than an always on Internet connection. It makes it very easy to switch from the xbox 360 to the ps4, or steambox console, or switch to Mac only gaming.

Only thing I liked about the rumor was the $99 xbox 360 that will release alongside the next xbox, that would be a good way to replace my aging fat xbox (that is running like a champ, but is always noisy.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm worried about this. MS appear to be hitting all the sour notes at the moment, and I'm a huge fan of having equal and competing products. Without XBL Gold we wouldn't have Playstation Plus (the best service in gaming right now), without Steam and XBLA/XBLIG we wouldn't have Sony being so nice to indies.

But what worries me is that if the always-on rumours are true, a lot of people are going to migrate away. It's not possible for me to have an always-on console, for example, so I'm not going to spend £200+ on a machine I can only use some of the time.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Am I the only one who remembers hearing just as many "always-online" rumours about the PS4 before the announcement? :confused:

I really wouldn't worry about it until we get some real info.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
True, but Sony did squash those rumors fairly quickly. MS has remained rather mum on the subject in comparison, and that kinda worries me.

There were always rumors with the next gen consoles of going totally download media and only HDMI. Then Nintendo continued with disc media on the Wii U (not to mention it works on my old tube TV ;) ).

Then the PS4 announcement - we didn't see the actual console (only the controller and camera) but the specs say it will have a BD drive and the same hook ups as PS3. So, why didn't they show us a console?

For us console users, how much extra is it for an optical drive and an extra connector to hook up to older TV's? The cables already exist...

Now, people are waiting for MS's move....

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
makes it very easy to switch from the xbox 360 to the ps4, or steambox console, or switch to Mac only gaming.

I am really considering going steambox when it comes out instead of PS4 or 360. Reason being is the price of the games are so much cheaper! They have deals all of the time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I am really considering going steambox when it comes out instead of PS4 or 360. Reason being is the price of the games are so much cheaper! They have deals all of the time.

Problem with the Steambox is that it's likely to be based on Linux, so the bulk of playable games will be smaller titles (which are good but all consoles need a balance of AAA and Indie). Remember: Valve hate Windows now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm sure they'll make the online portion fantastic. They did with xbox live.

However I wont buy a console that 'requires' always on. I don't mind it being an option to be always connected, but don't mandate it.

Likewise Microsoft first party titles haven't appealed to me in last three years.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Huge XBox 360 fan here. Nothing I've heard about the neXtBox has made me happy yet.

I have faith that the SteamBox is going to be the next big new thing. I've got tons of Steam games, and have faith that Mr. Newell will deliver. Also, even though the OS will most likely be Linux based, I have a hard time believing Valve would release the SteamBox if it couldn't play their entire catalog. They'll get it right.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
True, but Sony did squash those rumors fairly quickly. MS has remained rather mum on the subject in comparison, and that kinda worries me.

Most likley they wanted to have it always on and are just now realizing it is a terrible idea after actually getting feedback from their actual cutomers and will remove it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'ma wait until they actually announce something before making judgement, but what has been heard doesn't sound very promising. It just seems a bit bizarre to spend the best part of a decade capturing a market many people said there wasn't enough room for another competitor in, and then seemingly throw it all away.

I doubt MS are going to let the console market slip away from them. I'm hoping for some big things in the next generation Xbox, even though I only ever game on my PC.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Depends what they actually mean by always on though.
If it literally mean that the thing is a brick when your internet is down for example, then that is ridiculous.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not liking the idea that it'll replace your cable box. Given how limited services are available in different regions this sounds like a disaster.

They have to announce something really relevant to make me interested. Given both it and the PS4 are essentially equal power wise the services that seperate it must have some real relevance to me to make me choose it over the PS4. One thing is for certain, I'll likely only buy one or the other this time round rather than both.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
It's official, next xbox reveal May 21st. I hope they include BC.

I hope they will add that thing. Bluray will be more common than it is usual right now, even though Analysts say; new xbox will come up with bluray driver according to them. I hope Microsoft will appall us in that announcement of new xbox...

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Should be interesting but that always online thing is scary plus they haven't denied anything as yet. MS really need to bring in some exclusive for me to consider buying the next Xbox because the 360 offering has flat lined quick.

Bless

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-reportedly-run-core-windows-8-183034623.html

according to the article its $499 without a subscription and $299 with.

So "pay now or pay later..."

In a way, it is a smart business decision. It puts pressure on Nintendo and Sony, and most people will probably opt for the $299 version and M$ will rake in the dough on a monthly basis for years.

Most XBox people seem happy with the current XBox Live or whatever, so it doesn't seem like they will upset their core base.

We shall see...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
according to the article its $499 without a subscription and $299 with.

Mandatory 2 year Xbox Live Gold account? That had better not be true. I have enough mandatory contracts. Gaming subscriptions are optional to me, much like the next Xbox by the sounds of it.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Mandatory 2 year Xbox Live Gold account? That had better not be true. I have enough mandatory contracts. Gaming subscriptions are optional to me, much like the next Xbox by the sounds of it.

Some of these "leaks" seem like companies are testing the waters, and see how overwhelming fan response will be before they make any official announcement (i.e., like the "DRM" stuff that came out before, previous announcements about needing a persistent internet connection, etc.).

I'll be interested to see what the community reaction is, and if M$ changes their tune.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.