Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I like to use my Apple Remote for controlling Plex only.
I don't want to use it with iTunes. How the hell can I stop it from opening iTunes every time I hit the play/pause button on the remote?!!!
I can't seem to find any options for it in iTunes preferences etc?!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I like to use my Apple Remote for controlling Plex only.
I don't want to use it with iTunes. How the hell can I stop it from opening iTunes every time I hit the play/pause button on the remote?!!!
I can't seem to find any options for it in iTunes preferences etc?!
Some have reported this issue being solved simply by restarting your Mac, so it's worth a try.

I prefer using the Plex mobile app, so I can use my iPhone as a Plex remote. It doesn't require line of sight, as it uses WiFi.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Some have reported this issue being solved simply by restarting your Mac, so it's worth a try.

I prefer using the Plex mobile app, so I can use my iPhone as a Plex remote. It doesn't require line of sight, as it uses WiFi.

Nope restarting doesn't fix it.
I'll try the Plex app though ;)

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
This problem drove me crazy. I wish I could credit the person who found this solution, but I don't recall where I found it. Running the following from the console will stop the remote from accessing iTunes forever.

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

Once you've done that, I'd also recommend using BetterTouchTool since they've added a support for apple remotes in addition to MagicMouse and the Trackpad. Remote Buddy, Mira, and other remote apps will work just fine though, and you'll never have iTunes popup again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.