Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
yearofthe
macrumors regular

Question about video editing.

I plan on using this laptop to put videos onto YouTube and put them on iMovie to later be uploaded. The videos would range from 1GB-5GB (after importing and downloaded them to iMovie). They would be deleted afterwards after they're uploaded. Would I be able to download big videos on iMovie while surfing the web smoothly, or should I try to get an upper model?

-Thanks.

My configuration:
13.3"; 256GB SSD; 4GB; i5 intel core processor & 1.8GHz dual-core. Basically late-2012 $1399 base model.
yearofthe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
jahala
macrumors regular

What is the source of the video files? In other words, where are you downloading them from? Your smooth web browsing is mostly a function of your internet bandwidth. If you are working with local video files, e.g. downloading videos from a camera card, there is every reason to expect a smooth web browsing experience. Even if you are tranferring them to a network drive on your local area network, you should be fine. Your internet bandwidth is typically only a small fraction of your LAN bandwidth.

If you are using your bandwidth to download the large video files from the internet then your web browsing may suffer because there is not much room left for the web page data. I process high definition videos on my Macbook Air and browse the web fluidly while transferring or processing the video files with iMovie. I am not downloading my video files from the internet.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air