Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttack89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
So was given ipad mini as a gift. Love it. Someone recently brought to my attention that since iPhone and bigger ipad have retina display apps will be made for the display. Will that effect the ipad mini since it does not support?

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
So was given ipad mini as a gift. Love it. Someone recently brought to my attention that since iPhone and bigger ipad have retina display apps will be made for the display. Will that effect the ipad mini since it does not support?

You'll still have app support for years to come, or until Apple raises their requirements for an app to be approved into the app store.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple very smartly used an exact multiple of four (i.e., each standard pixel equals two retina pixels on each axis) when it went from the standard display to the retina display between the iPad 2 and iPad 3. The result is that a developer need only build an app and enable retina for it to look great on both screens. This also means an app will work fine on the iPad mini with no modification, because the mini's resolution is equal to that of the iPad 2 (although somewhat sharper in practice because the pixels occupy a smaller space). In short, apps need not be made specifically for the mini to work beautifully on that device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.