Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
gc15
macrumors regular

How well do you guys like iCloud?

Im just curious, to me some features are nice, such as my contacts, calendar events, and notes being available on specific devices; however, compared to other cloud services for documentation and other tasks, I see icloud lacking in that department. Im still fairly new to the cloud, but i tend to like google drive with google docs due to the ease of use IMO. Im just wondering what everyone else's outtake is. Another reason i suppose i like google drive better is, i use gmail as my primary email address.

Last edited by gc15; Apr 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
gc15 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2
hexonxonx
Banned

I don't use much on Apples cloud anymore other than for downloading past music and TV purchases.

I gave up using iCloud for my contacts and calendar when I bought a Nexus 4. My contacts were already on Googles contacts so it was easy to sync the Nexus 4. I then switched my two iPhones over to sync the contacts so they all stay in sync. Same with Calendar.
hexonxonx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

Since I'm all Apple gear the iCloud is great for keeping my data in sync.
blueroom is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

I can do with it or without it. I'm just as happy syncing on iTunes just like the old days.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
my favorite aspect of icloud is backups. whenever i plug in my phone or ipad at home, it just automatically backs up. if i ever lose, break, or upgrade my idevice, i can be back up and running in no time.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:51 AM   #6
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I really want to like it.

But I can't lie, my experience with it since its release, was no better than the problematic MobileMe I paid for & used for two years.

I just pulled my files out of iCloud & put them in my Evernote, Dropbox, Drive & Catch accounts.

Now I'll sit back, waiting & watching how Apple handles the issues that are well known & reported on.

iClouds not bad, just not up to the reliability & usefulness as others. I'm hoping Apple will do the right thing & bring it up to the standards set by others.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:06 AM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I only use it for reminders and calendar OK for those 2 purpose, but the rest I find it kludgy.

I believe once I tried to sync my contacts and I couldn't sign on directly to iCloud.com and delete bad entries directly, I had to clean my Mac first, then mirror that "emptiness" to the cloud to clear it, THEN reload my good contacts from backup and sync again. Whadda pain.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:38 AM   #8
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

If Google's stuff allows your email to sync across all your devices, then you know why email syncing is one of my favorite iCloud features. It doesn't work quite as perfectly as I wish -- the badge still appears on Mail on my iPad, but the emails are marked as read once I open Mail. But it's such a nice feature and makes me hate not having it for my work email that I get on my phone.

The calendar stuff is nice as well, although most of the changes I make there are on my phone and viewed on my phone. Many times I will use Photostream to show off photos I took with my phone on my iPad since it's much bigger.

I would like to see iCloud opened up to more apps kind of like Dropbox is. I have an auto maintenance/fuel app I use to track stuff for my car. I bought it because the old one I had did not have any backup sync that was worth a darn. The new one uses Dropbox. I already had an account, so that's fine. But I'd rather it use iCloud since I don't use Dropbox for much else.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:38 AM   #9
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

I barely use it. It's a useful concept but I don't believe Apple have fully utilised it or made it user friendly. It's clunky, but UI and not very... modern looking.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Murgatroyd
macrumors member

Thumbs up

I drive a taxi. After tallying receipts for the day I place the resulting income for that day into iPhone's Numbers spreadsheet. Closing the spreadsheet has Numbers uploading the changed spreadsheet to iCloud. Quite convenient on a day to day basis Sometimes I wonder if having one physical copy of such an important document stored in one place is good or bad. Wouldn't it be prudent if for each days change of the spreadsheet on the iPhone I somehow also cause a change to a physical copy on the iPhone, AND another physical copy on my MacBook at my residence AND DropBox, perhaps? And have each days change to the spreadsheet cause changes to physical copies on other devices, too, if I want. Having only one physical copy on iCloud for all my devices to access sometimes worries me. But then I squelch the worries by thinking, 'What actually could happen to this important document of mine that's stored on iCloud?' I don't have an answer which justifies the fear to any great extent. An Automator app or AppleScript comes to mind but, I suppose I'm simply not that worried about iCloud alone I suppose.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #11
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

It does what it is supposed to do but it has so many other great potential uses and frankly I think is a bit behind the times!
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:51 AM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc15 View Post
Im just wondering what everyone else's outtake is. Another reason i suppose i like google drive better is, i use gmail as my primary email address.
I use it alongside Google Drive & Dropbox. No single solution does it all for me.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:34 AM   #13
psac
macrumors 6502

I wish more games would implement it for more playing across devices(iphone/ipad), and for keeping the save game info when deleting a game off a device. With the games that have implemented it works fantastically, but it's a very low percentage of adoption.
psac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:12 AM   #14
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502a

I use it for everything except documents, which I use Google Docs for (I have 100GB free for two years). I don't particularly care for Pages and use Office for Mac so Google Drive is more convenient for storing said documents; other than that, for mail, calendar, contacts, and the like switching from Google to iCloud was a piece of cake. I might not have been so eager to switch had Google not gotten rid of their EAS option, but since they did I didn't have much heartburn about moving my services to iCloud, especially after I bought a MacBook.
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:14 AM   #15
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud daily, and it saves me a lot of time
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:16 AM   #16
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc15 View Post
Im just curious, to me some features are nice, such as my contacts, calendar events, and notes being available on specific devices; however, compared to other cloud services for documentation and other tasks, I see icloud lacking in that department. Im still fairly new to the cloud, but i tend to like google drive with google docs due to the ease of use IMO. Im just wondering what everyone else's outtake is. Another reason i suppose i like google drive better is, i use gmail as my primary email address.
iCloud is very different from Google Drive/Dropbox. GDrive and Dropbox are online storage service aka cloud drives. iCloud is a set of iOS specific online services.

Apple used to have a cloud drive called iDisk that worked in a similar way to Google Drive, but it was discontinued. It allowed syncing of files and folders between iOS and computers.

I absolutely love iCloud. My favorite features are the synced PIM data (calendar, tasks, etc.), find my iPhone, and the automatic backups. For online drive I am using Skydrive.
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I save everything to either iCloud or my Adobe Creative Cloud folder, so yeah, it's very beneficial for me. If it had a web version of iWork, I probably would dump Google Drive altogether. Which is my only reason for using Google Drive, because a web based document editor is easier to use since I use multiple printers that are not on the same network or even place and use different versions of Mac OS.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #18
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

I back up my iPhone and iPad to iCloud because it's automatic and if my device eats it while on a trip, it's trivial to replace it and restore everything without having to use my computer.

However, I still run occasional backups of my devices to my computer as well; I like having control of my information.

I also use iCloud for some apps that share information between devices. However, I don't use it for storing important data exclusively. I still like to be a custodian of my own data.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I can do with it or without it. I'm just as happy syncing on iTunes just like the old days.
This is what I do. I don't use iCloud, even though I have pondered the thought of using it again.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
This is what I do. I don't use iCloud, even though I have pondered the thought of using it again.
Same here, I hate how it makes my contact pics full screen using iCloud.

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 5S Gold Jailbroken 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:41 PM   #21
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

My gripe about an iCloud backup is that I cannot set icloud to backup every night AND ake a backup to my computer every so often over wifi without having to mess with settings within iTunes each and every time I do it.

Calendars, contacts, etc. are all Google and probably always will be. It's the only service that syncs seamlessly with every mobile OS out there.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:21 PM   #22
djransom
macrumors 68040

It was good until I've recently been spammed and I'm contemplating creating an entirely new account now because it's pretty bad. Apple's way of handling spam leaves alot to be desired.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:36 PM   #23
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
my favorite aspect of icloud is backups. whenever i plug in my phone or ipad at home, it just automatically backs up. if i ever lose, break, or upgrade my idevice, i can be back up and running in no time.
well not in no time. I have the restore take up to 2 hours before I could get all my apps going so 2 to 3 hours.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:13 PM   #24
adam044
macrumors 65816

If you have more than one apple device I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
well not in no time. I have the restore take up to 2 hours before I could get all my apps going so 2 to 3 hours.
Depends what you have sir

----------

I wish more apps would use iCloud like angry birds for example.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I use it to sync between all my devices and for backup. It works great for that.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone