Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WhatsApp Denies Report of Talks Regarding Acquisition by Google

WhatsApp business development head Neeraj Arora has told*AllThingsD that an earlier report*claiming Google was on the verge of acquiring the company for $1 billion is not true. WhatsApp is the company behind the popular iOS app WhatsApp Messenger.
Quote:
Neeraj Arora, WhatsApp's*business development head, told*AllThingsDigital*today that the company is not holding sales talks with Google.
Arora declined to comment further, but AllThingsD does note that WhatsApp has been the subject of sales rumors before, having been linked to Facebook in December. At the time, WhatsApp said that those reports were "not factually accurate."

WhatsApp Messenger has consistently been one of the top paid apps in the App Store in many countries around the world and is currently the #1 paid app in the U.S. store. It is one of the many messaging services, including Apple's own iMessage, available on iOS and other platforms that smartphone users have turned to in order to avoid carriers' SMS charges.

Recently, WhatsApp announced that it will be moving to a subscription model for the iOS version of its app by the end of this year. The model would likely be similar to existing WhatsApp pricing for other platforms, which would make the app free for the first year and then $0.99 per year beyond the initial free period.

Article Link: WhatsApp Denies Report of Talks Regarding Acquisition by Google
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:57 AM   #2
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
I'd rather pay $0.99 without Google adds.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:57 AM   #3
carl0sian
macrumors regular

if there was a way to link whatsapp to my cellphone number...that would sell me on the app. so far, i don't even use it.....why use it when you have iMessage?
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:02 AM   #4
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0sian View Post
if there was a way to link whatsapp to my cellphone number...that would sell me on the app. so far, i don't even use it.....why use it when you have iMessage?
But whatsapp links to your phone number ; why use it ? the major selling point is cross-plataform.
roxxette is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:07 AM   #5
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But I thought your phone number is your WhatsApp account.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:19 AM   #6
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I suspect you had trouble setting up once and arrived at the wrong conclusion? Your phone number is required to set up WhatsApp. No way around that.
coolfactor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:33 AM   #7
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Your phone # is required to be linked to your app for the entire concept to work.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:33 AM   #8
spicynujac
macrumors regular

This app requires a phone number (and therefore won't work with iPod touch, iPad, etc) which is a silly anachronism. IMessage is superior to anything I've seen, but not everyone has apple devices there is a need for a good messenger to message non-apple smartphone users.
spicynujac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:51 AM   #9
henry72
macrumors 6502a

There are SO MANY other great alternatives such as Facebook Messenger, Viber etc...

Of course, iMessage would be the best option for most of us

So goodbye Whatsapp
henry72 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:57 AM   #10
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Saying the brand name sounds like you're a European trying to say "what's up?" only that it comes out with a thick accent

Hay, what's app deuddeh??
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:00 AM   #11
komodrone
Banned

weird, why would you deny a rumor like that? what if some other big company like samsung is looking to buy you. wouldn't you want that rumor to be true to drive up the price?
komodrone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:06 AM   #12
clunkmess
macrumors regular

I bought this just now Just in case I may need it down the line.

iMessage meets all my needs right now though.
clunkmess is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
weird, why would you deny a rumor like that? what if some other big company like samsung is looking to buy you. wouldn't you want that rumor to be true to drive up the price?
Samsung has its own messaging service
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:31 AM   #14
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
it would be a temporary gain, and when it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time, it'll just plummet.
Freyqq is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:37 AM   #15
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

How would it be if from way out of left field they got bought out by Apple?! Bam! Turn it into iMessage for all platforms. Market cornered.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:02 AM   #16
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
How would it be if from way out of left field they got bought out by Apple?! Bam! Turn it into iMessage for all platforms. Market cornered.
It's definitely a distinct possibility that it's indeed APPLE trying to do the acquiring here, who knows.....
Denial is always standard procedure, you know.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:19 AM   #17
frozzbite
macrumors member

i was really hoping google would buy them out. Whatsapp has been really stagnant. No desktop app, no tablet apps. Not even more functions such as multiple photo selection in their apps.

They deserve to be bought out
frozzbite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:24 AM   #18
Jayomat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
But I thought your phone number is your WhatsApp account.
It is
Jayomat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:33 AM   #19
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

They may of course be denying that its being sold for $1 bn dollars. It could be that they are selling to Google, just for a different amount.

I may have been watching too much Yes Prime Minister recently; they used semantics like that rather often and to good comic effect.

The other mantra in YPM was not to believe anything until its officially denied...
Moccasin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:42 AM   #20
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
They may of course be denying that its being sold for $1 bn dollars. It could be that they are selling to Google, just for a different amount.

I may have been watching too much Yes Prime Minister recently; they used semantics like that rather often and to good comic effect.

The other mantra in YPM was not to believe anything until its officially denied...
Well, the statement doesn't leaves much to semantics

Quote:
WhatsApp's*business development head, told*AllThingsDigital*today that the company is not holding sales talks with Google.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:49 AM   #21
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
Yawn....
JoshBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:05 AM   #22
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

So...what's up, Whatsapp?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:41 AM   #23
chameleon81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because not everyone has an iPhone in this world
chameleon81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:03 AM   #24
anotherarunan
macrumors 6502

The ignorance of so many Americans on the forum is astounding.

For whatever reason - Whatsapp isnt popular in the US - but almost everywhere else across the WORLD especially in more developing nations - Whatsapp is almost on every single smartphone and is a primary method of digital communication.

It is a fantastic app and can only get better hopefully. It does what it needs to do and does it very well. If it aint broke...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:20 AM   #25
Boomhowler
macrumors 6502

Well, what's app and Google seem to have about the same notion about what user privacy is so it will probably be a good match
Boomhowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion