Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I was looking on the website and I don't know if I'm just blind or what but I didn't see if it said if the new iPod comes with a dock. If not will my old dock for the 3g iPod work?

Thanks

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
does not come with a dock, though they are selling one with a IR remote control.
And yes, it should work just fine with older docks

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
the new (video) ipod will not work with any other dock than the new universal (IR) one. it comes with a snap in casing which will allow your ipod to fit into the generic dock moulding. if you have a different ipod, you simply use the different snap in that comes with it when you buy the dock. comaptibility can be found on apple's store.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
macOSX-tastic said:
the new (video) ipod will not work with any other dock than the new universal (IR) one. it comes with a snap in casing which will allow your ipod to fit into the generic dock moulding. if you have a different ipod, you simply use the different snap in that comes with it when you buy the dock. comaptibility can be found on apple's store.

Not true. I have used my new iPod (video) with an iPod Photo dock. Now I cannot access the IR features, but I can sync and charge via this dock.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Jovian9 said:
Not true. I have used my new iPod (video) with an iPod Photo dock. Now I cannot access the IR features, but I can sync and charge via this dock.

Very very interesting, any idea if your 4th gen Photo dock is similar to the 3rd gen 20 gig dock? I am in the same boat as the thread starter. I have a 3rd gen ipod dock that i'd love to use with my new 5th gen, but if apple thinks i am going to buy this new universal dock so that i can display my ipod nice and pretty next to my powerbook, they are dead wrong.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
iDM said:
Very very interesting, any idea if your 4th gen Photo dock is similar to the 3rd gen 20 gig dock? I am in the same boat as the thread starter. I have a 3rd gen ipod dock that i'd love to use with my new 5th gen, but if apple thinks i am going to buy this new universal dock so that i can display my ipod nice and pretty next to my powerbook, they are dead wrong.

I have no idea. All I know is that before I shipped off my iPod Photo (that I sold on eBay) I received my 5G iPod. The firewire sync would not work so I plugged a USB 2.0 cable into the back of the iPod Photo dock and synced it that way......still waiting for the universal dock I ordered with my iPod 5G.

Star136

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2005
Jovian9 said:
I can confirm this - I bought an iPod Photo dock today - it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.