|Apr 9, 2013, 01:27 PM||#1|
iMac: 2011 Refurb vs. 2012
My 2006 Core Duo iMac is currently on its last legs, and I'm looking to get a 27" replacement this year. I saw a 2011 refurb (3.1GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, 1GB GPU) for about $600-700 cheaper than the configured 2012 (3.2GHz i5, 1TB Fusion, 8GB model, 1GB GPU) I'm looking at. I will mostly be doing work in Adobe CS, some Java development (learning at home) and would like to do some gaming (native Diablo 3, Half-Life 2), and possibly Bootcamp. I would be buying AppleCare for whichever I pick. A few questions I have are below:
1. Is it reasonable to expect a spec bump / price drop (however insignificant), by fall 2013?
2. Does the '11 model have a significant amount of glare compared to the '12? The screen will be facing a north-facing window.
3. Once I upgrade the RAM to 16GB on the '11, will there honestly be that much of a difference in performance?
Appreciate any help you can give me.
|Apr 9, 2013, 03:10 PM||#2|
2. I have owned both the 2011 & 2012. As I work on them in a dark environment I have never really noticed a difference. I find the 2012 a little brighter and clearer to view. I do have a 20.5" iMac that has a wall of glass to the north while the iMac faces east and have never had an issue with glare. But each and every person has a different opinion on how glare distracts them.
3. The biggest difference between the 2011 & 2012 is the fusion drive and graphics card. The fusion drive is significantly quicker than your standard 7200 rpm HDD. The RAM upgrade would make some difference, but the fusion will make a big difference.
If you can afford, I would say go with the 2012 with fusion. Everything will be quicker. If looking to save, go with 2011. You will still be able to do everything you want to do with it.
|Apr 9, 2013, 11:06 PM||#3|
I would honestly still buy a 2009 or 2010 model even though they are only C2D models. I recently had to sell my 2009 and miss it because it was awesome for the 4 years that I owned it(and I did buy at the "wrong time" just before a spec bump AND a refresh of the line).
Welcome to the Grid, Program.
27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Which Refurb 27" iMac to buy, 2011, 2012, 2013||Grubster||iMac||3||Feb 18, 2014 07:35 AM|
|Refurb Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 or refurb 2012 model?||Colin0317||MacBook Pro||5||Dec 6, 2012 10:09 PM|
|Which would you buy --- 2012 i7 mini or 2011 refurb i7 iMac?||HF7035||Mac mini||6||Nov 13, 2012 11:35 PM|
|Refurb 13inch 2012 OR Refurb 15inch 2011 which is better?Is refurb really worth it?TH||macfreak101||MacBook Pro||1||Nov 6, 2012 09:25 AM|
|2011 21.5in i7 Refurb iMac or wait for 2012 version?||Pog2005||iMac||5||Jul 23, 2012 12:19 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.