Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipod_touch_colors.jpg
Following a research note from Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White stating that the iPhone 5S would launch in two or three different sizes, Japanese website Mac Otakara has released a report suggesting that the iPhone 5S will come in five colors, including the original black and white.

The site also mentions that Apple's rumored cheaper iPhone will also be offered in a range of different colors. There is no indication on what colors the iPhone 5S might sport, but the current 5th generation iPod touch is available in black, white, pink, yellow, and blue, along with a special edition available in red.

Mac Otakara's report adds that the iPhone 5S will be announced in July, with a release to follow in August. That is in line with previous reports released earlier this month, which suggested an August release.

In the past, Mac Otakara reliably predicted the redesigned form factor of the seventh generation iPod nano and the updated 4-inch screen of the fifth generation iPod touch.

It should be noted that AppleInsider claims that the original article has been incorrectly translated and actually mentions one color in addition to black and white, making for a total of three colors rather than five.

Article Link: iPhone 5S to Launch in August in Several Different Colors?

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
when i said to give us options apple, i didn't say to give us the rainbow.. we won't more options when it comes to the screen size.

a lot of people cover up their phones with cases anyways, so these colours are pointless.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I hope the picture above is of a cheap version. Huge step backwards for an already premium looking product in my eyes.

EDIT: Yes, I am now aware that it is a picture of an iPod touch now. See message #51 for my feeble excuse for not knowing such if you want!

Last edited:

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Bigger screen + more colors + better specs + Ive's iOS debut... this could get interesting :apple:

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Agh.

I just hope they provide decent color options, the pastels and neons that they have used in the past will not fly on an iPhone.

Black/slate
White/silver
(RED) :cool:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
No way - to support so many colors, carriers and memory sizes would make for too many model variations. Not to mention 2 sizes. So that would be something like 120 USA variants (5 colors x 3 storage sizes x 4 USA carriers x 2 sizes). Impossible.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Hopefully they will change the colours than those used for the iPod, which were ghastly.

Give me a deep red or blue, not colours best used in a nursery.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
No way - to support so many colors, carriers and memory sizes would make for too many model variations. Not to mention 2 sizes. So that would be something like 120 USA variants (5 colors x 3 storage sizes x 4 USA carriers x 2 sizes). Impossible.
Maybe they'll make a unified model and start with 32 GB. That would leave 5*2*2=20 models.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
Great...the iPhone has become the modern day RAZR. The 5S will be available this year in red...but wait, you'll also want the 6 available in the Spring in blue...want green, that's the 6S.

Although many years ago, I do have to admit I paid extra way back when to get the RAZR in blue. :)

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
when i said to give us options apple, i didn't say to give us the rainbow.. we won't more options when it comes to the screen size.

a lot of people cover up their phones with cases anyways, so these colours are pointless.

Again, it's a rumor. Does not mean Apple will actually go on and do this.

Besides, who are you to tell Apple what they should and should not do? I'm sure they could care less about your opinion.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Does "a lot of people" constitute everyone, thus making colors of the phone pointless?

I don't use any covers at all on my phone and therefore if I bought a red one, the color would be there for all to see.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Maybe they'll make a unified model and start with 32 GB. That would leave 5*2*2=20 models.

I don't think you can have a unified GSM and CDMA phone and sell it with both activated, but correct me if I'm wrong. As soon as they sell it with one or the other activated (even if the phone uses the same cellular chip), it becomes a variant from a sales perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.