Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Quick question,
if I was to order the server mini and upgrade the harddisk to a 256gig solid state drive ....

On the Apple page it states that the server comes stock with 2 x 1TB drives.
But if I upgrade the hard drive options to a 256gb, would this equate to 1 x 256ssd and 1 x 1TB 5400 drive? or do they just remove both 1TB drives and just input a single 256ssd?

cheers

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
The only way to get both an SSD and HDD is to order a Fusion drive (which will give you a 128GB SSD and only one logical drive).

If it were me, I'd just get the fusion drive. But you can also just get the dual 1TB drives, and replace one of them with the SSD (and put the 1TB drive in an external enclosure).

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Dear fellow Macaminians,
thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Having now received my mac mini server with an SSD upgrade, it would appear that it does not come with a 1TB drive (as spare). So I will need to find an external solution.

But the real question is now, what?
I want it to be 2 separate drives, USB 3.0, 7400rpm, 2GB and preferably not to loud .... but most importantly, reliable.

As I plan to have one 1TB drive as external Storage and the Second 1TB drive as a backup.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.