Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Removal of AppGratis From App Store Just the First Phase of Broader Crackdown

For the past several days, we've been following the story of Apple's removal of AppGratis from the App Store. AppGratis offers a popular app discovery service with the main feature being a hand-picked app offered free each day.

Apple acknowledged that it had pulled the app for violating two App Store rules related to offering apps in a manner which might be "similar to or confusing with the App Store" and using push notifications to send out promotions. AppGratis CEO Simon Dawlat responded yesterday to note that Apple had approved the app a number of times, including an iPad version just a week ago, before a new reviewer stepped in and quickly pulled the app after being unable to contact Dawlat, who was on an airplane at the time.

AllThingsD now reports that Apple's removal of AppGratis is just the first step in a broader crackdown on such apps, with more app discovery services soon to be pulled as well.
Quote:
I'm told Apple feels these apps threaten the legitimacy of the App Store charts by providing a way for developers to spend their way to a high ranking. Apple did something similar in 2011, when it rejected a number of applications running incentivized app installs within their apps.

The company also worries that such apps undermine the integrity of the App Store by cluttering it with alternative storefronts. As one source described it to me, some of these discovery apps create a scenario
that's similar to walking into Nordstrom and seeing a Walmart inside.
AppGratis notes that it is "far from finished" and that its 12 million existing users will be able to continue to use the app while the company explores its alternatives, but AllThingsD makes clear that the removal of AppGratis was not simply an error on the part of a reviewer and that AppGratis is "almost certainly finished as an iOS app -- in its current incarnation, anyway".

Article Link: Apple's Removal of AppGratis From App Store Just the First Phase of Broader Crackdown
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #2
5aga
macrumors 6502

Apple is only hurting the consumer with this one, especially with the current state of the app store in iOS6.
5aga is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Doesn't AppShopper do the same thing? Yet it's still going strong and hasn't been removed.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
macrumors 65816

Couldn't they just do a web-app and that way get around the restriction?

The app anyway sounds like something that should be an web app.

Last edited by 0815; Apr 10, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixed typo
0815 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:16 AM   #5
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Doesn't AppShopper do the same thing? Yet it's still going strong and hasn't been removed.
I just searched "appshopper" on the App Store on my iPhone, it didn't turn up.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

I agree and I disagree, sure they should be pulled but NOT until they can fix the broken AppStore first :/ It's pretty hard to find apps/games on there (unless they're in the top 100)
Rudy69 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:17 AM   #7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
As one source described it to me, some of these discovery apps create a scenario
that's similar to walking into Nordstrom and seeing a Walmart inside.
Or like walking into BestBuy and seeing an AppleStore inside...

So Apple does the same thing in real stores .... so why can Apple do it in the 'real world' without confusing customers, but think it would confuse customers in the digital world ? Apple should add a new category for AppStore alternatives and they might even increase their revenue by doing that.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Stella
macrumors 603

If Apple had a better app discovery mechanism then all these apps wouldn't be necessary.

At worse, this particular app and others could be turned into a mobile webapp.. out of the reach of Apple.

I use these to find those apps that have reduced prices / gone free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
AppShopper was removed a few months ago - for the same reason.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:26 AM   #9
bobthekelpie
macrumors newbie

Agree with those who have said that if the ios6 App Store wasn't so hard to navigate, it wouldn't be such a problem.

I use app zapper, and mainly so I can simply browse through the latest apps... It's crazy that you can't do that in the App Store.
bobthekelpie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
trainwrecka
macrumors regular

AppShopper Still M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
I just searched "appshopper" on the App Store on my iPhone, it didn't turn up.
Yup. Here is the story from December about it being pulled for the same iOS 6 rules.
trainwrecka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Pull it out of the AppStore and just use a website. Problem solved, no?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
No. Apps will always be better. I love Appshopper for its push notifications.
Cougarcat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:38 AM   #13
glenbogle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Yeah, I'm a big fan of appgratis and use it every day... don't even have the app installed, never have. I just read the emails they send out daily and see if there's anything that interests me, and use the link provided which takes me straight to the app store. The service doesn't need its own app.
glenbogle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
No. Apps will always be better. I love Appshopper for its push notifications.
I switched to using the AppShopper RSS feeds and find a lot more things that way then via the app. Although the APP is great for reminders of things on your wish list. . . but now I just get those via email.

While I see what Apple is saying / doing, but as a consumer I have used many of these apps and find them convenient. Never confused with the App store at all. Thus, this is one of those where it may be better off just letting them be and let people decided if they want to use them or not.

Not sure what all the fuss is.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:42 AM   #15
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

says a lot about what they think of their general userbase if they think they would be confused
uknowimright is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:43 AM   #16
orthorim
macrumors 6502

Well this is kind of fishy stuff when you can pay for placement.

Is Apple now cracking down on review gaming too, or are they continuing to let that happen?

Like those apps that get hundreds of 5 star ratings right away, and the services that offer to generate those reviews. Apple needs to shut that stuff down.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:43 AM   #17
MacEdit
macrumors newbie

Should just be a web app

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
Couldn't they just to a web-app and that way get around the restriction?

Exactly what I was thinking. I think lots more app developers need to think that way about some of their apps.

Not to mention you can then target the android market as well with the same web app.
MacEdit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:49 AM   #18
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

Those rules have been in place for a long time. I've also had an app rejected for breaking one of the guidelines. Sometimes you can get lucky and sneak through anyway (as they have been), but you always have to be prepared for a rejection. It's Apples platform and their rules. Simple as that.
GoldenJoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #19
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Or like walking into BestBuy and seeing an AppleStore inside...

So Apple does the same thing in real stores .... so why can Apple do it in the 'real world' without confusing customers, but think it would confuse customers in the digital world ? Apple should add a new category for AppStore alternatives and they might even increase their revenue by doing that.
Except Best Buy isn't giving Apple free space in its store. Why don't you try walking into Best Buy and setting up shop inside their store and see how far you'll get.
newagemac is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:54 AM   #20
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Glad I still have my app shopper IPA file in iTunes. I'm more concerned about appshopper than anything else but the likelihood of its return is very dubious to say the least.

Such a shame!
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:55 AM   #21
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Couldn't they just to a web-app and that way get around the restriction?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And that's something that should be an email rather than a push notification.
mazz0 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:56 AM   #22
juannacho
macrumors regular

Interesting that there's so much talk about web apps at the moment. Very good from the perspective of a company like mine which as well as making apps is increasingly delivering 'app-less app' content direct to the browser.

I just wrote a post about it in fact

Taking the App out of Apple

It will be interesting to see how Apple approaches the growth of rich in-browser experiences running via HTML5 / Canvas and who knows, maybe even webGL (supported already in iAds)

Obviously they shut down Flash with reasons based on performance and third party blah blah blah. However there was also the fact that Flash in browser would (to some degree) hurt the profitability of the App Store.

But yes, unless they do something to specifically hamper iOS Safari we'll be seeing more and more content delivered straight to browser.
juannacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:56 AM   #23
keviig
macrumors newbie

Fun fact!

Funny thing is, "gratis" means "free" in norwegian. Would this mean we norwegians get apps for free?
keviig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:57 AM   #24
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviig View Post
Funny thing is, "gratis" means "free" in norwegian. Would this mean we norwegians get apps for free?
If I remember correctly (I could be wrong), the guy is french and gratis in french also means free
Rudy69 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

I admit I don't know all the facts of this case, but first blush, Apple would serve itself better to put resources into making the App Store & iOS easier to use rather than browbeat debs w/ useful apps. I use a couple of free app finder apps & they are heavens more useful than Apple's own chart which is loaded w/ annoying freemium junk.

And the whole Nordstrom/Walmart analogy Apple gives seems illogical. When you use a free app app it takes you to the Apple store not Google Play.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion