Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
MyRadar Weather with new permissions!

See pictures of weather from other users!

So they now require access to your contacts to let you see the weather? Not just that but see pictures of weather too. I assume that would come from accessing your photos as well? Other users here is not clear as to whether or not those users are or old be users from our contacts list.

What ever happened to an application that just gives you information on what you want without requiring you to hand over private and personal info in return?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	407222  
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
4GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
See pictures of weather from other users!

So they now require access to your contacts to let you see the weather? Not just that but see pictures of weather too. I assume that would come from accessing your photos as well? Other users here is not clear as to whether or not those users are or old be users from our contacts list.

What ever happened to an application that just gives you information on what you want without requiring you to hand over private and personal info in return?
Have you tried using the app without giving permission to access contacts?

I just looked at the privacy settings on my iPhone, and see that MyWeather must have had the same deal (under Settings>Privacy>Contacts MyWeather is "off"). I didn't give it permission to access my contacts, and the app still works. I'm just missing out on what I'm sure must be some awesome functionality.

Regards,
Tom
[added later: What leads you to believe they are accessing your contacts? I just updated to MyRadar 3.0, and it doesn't show up in Privacy Settings, nor did it ask if it could access contacts.]

Last edited by TJ61; Apr 10, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
stylinexpat
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
Have you tried using the app without giving permission to access contacts?

I just looked at the privacy settings on my iPhone, and see that MyWeather must have had the same deal (under Settings>Privacy>Contacts MyWeather is "off"). I didn't give it permission to access my contacts, and the app still works. I'm just missing out on what I'm sure must be some awesome functionality.

Regards,
Tom
[added later: What leads you to believe they are accessing your contacts? I just updated to MyRadar 3.0, and it doesn't show up in Privacy Settings, nor did it ask if it could access contacts.]
Thanks for the kind reply

What lead me to believe was what was written in their new update in the attachment I had posted where they said "See pictures of weather from other users".

Also "Upload your own weather photos".
__________________
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.66GHz
4GB RAM
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Thanks for the kind reply

What lead me to believe was what was written in their new update in the attachment I had posted where they said "See pictures of weather from other users".

Also "Upload your own weather photos".
Yeah, that kind of stuff tends to make me suspicious, too. But I'm "reasonably" confident that apps still have to explicitly ask permission separately for each database they want to access (contacts, photos, etc.). And this update didn't ask for any access.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC